Thread: Truck Help Needed

Truck Help Needed

Need a little help on my Truck. You guys seam to be pretty knowledgeable about this stuff.

Vehcile: 1999 Dodge Ram 1500. 2WD 5.2L Engine. 147,000 Miles

Issue: ABS and Brake Lights on.

I started the truck yesterday to go home from work, and the ABS light and Brake light were on. This is the first time it happened. The brakes work fine. I stopped to get gas, and restarted the truckand they were off and stayed off the rest of the way home. I thought maybe just something funny happened since it was so hot. I looked underthe hood, and so no brake fluid leaks. Checked each rim and under the truck for brake fluid leaks and found none. Checked the Fluid level, and it was full.

I started it this morning to go to work, and everything was fine, no lights on the dash. Itis much cooler this morning, about 70°. Halfway to work I noticed the truck hesitate for a second, and I looked down and the ABS light andhte Brake light were on.

My question is what is the issue? Is there some ABS controler or brake controler going out? What could be the issue? I don't want to not be able to stop, but the brakes feel fine. The only time I have had the light come on before was when I had fluid leaking.

A little help please.

I had a similar issue with my truck.. for me it was a gound fault on an ABS sensor. You should be able to get the codes read and find out more.

And how did I fix mine? I didn't. Drove it until I sold it to carmax.

Delivering supplies to the Alamo for round two.
    Definitely seek professional help. Working on ABS issues sucks.

Chances are the antilock part of the abs is not functioning properly when that abs light comes on so skidding to a stop is much easier to do.
    Not sure about the brake lights coming on.
    That's the first i've heard of that happening but it screams wiring short to me.

It is the brake warning light on the dash, not the actual brake lights.

I hate ABS anyways, so I don't care if that doesn't work as long as I still have brakes.

On the rear diff there should be a rear wheel speed sensor, replace it, most parts stores will have it, it should be $30 or so.

Stop by an Auto Zone. They'll analyze it for free. (at least around here they do)
    Stoners rock; Kalashnikovs rule!