Thread: Honest Man Does the Right Thing

Honest Man Does the Right Thing

So this dude found $17,000 on the sidewalk:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110609/...iches_returned

He did the right thing, and tried to find the rightful owner.

For those of you that don't want to read, it was money in custody of Loomis.

The bastards "can't decide" whether or not to give him a reward. Poor guy couldn't even afford a burrito, and still did the right thing and turned in the money. To be honest, I'd have a crisis of conscience if I found that money. Especially since it was labelled "Citi" on the side...

What would you do?

Kudos for the guy being upstanding and doing the right thing!

It is a difficult thing, especially in these times, to be confronted with something like this. And, the $$$ is, more than likely, insured.

As much as I would be tempted to keep it, karma has a way of balancing the cosmos, and just last week, my karma ran over my dogma, so in not wanting to disrupt the universe, I would have returned it.

Sounds like he could afford the burrito just didn't have the cash. Sounds like the kind of guy that a reward wouldn't matter although some show of gratitude would be in nice.
    Since it's labeled I would try to get it to the owner if it wasn't I'd probably let the police hold it till it's claimed if not claimed I'd gladly take it off their hands.
    For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe

Let's take this scenario; you find a briefcase with $100,000 and two kilos of coke. What would you guys do with that?

Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    Let's take this scenario; you find a briefcase with $100,000 and two kilos of coke. What would you guys do with that?
    I'd leave it where I found it, and walk away like nothing happened. If there's one thing I've learned, it's that you don't fuck with coke dealers.

Look for a transmitter that's a given

For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011

He did the right thing, and tried to find the rightful owner.
    The guy was a dumb ass!

Kudos for the guy being upstanding and doing the right thing!
    Kudos for this guy being a dumb ass.

romak10/63UF
    17,000 dollars... Found .... some one left it on the ground for me to find.... Hmm well there is a nice looking Barrett 82 a1 for 7,999.99 i would really like to have... Then there is future house taxes i could pay off for like 10 years... sorry but if you make a mistake an some one else picks up the ball is it not your fault it landed in your hands at the right moment ? So the answer is yes the morally respectful thing to do is return back the money... But in the other case if you are a hurting family an you havnt been able to find a job in 2 or 3 months then you would have to take the money like its nobodys business i know alot of you guys migh give me hell about this ....

If I knew of the owner....return it.
    No known owner....hold it for awhile until/if owner claims.

THEN......!
    Youth And Brawn Are No Match For Age And Treachery.
    I'm Old And May Not Fight You. I'll Shoot Instead.

USMC 1959/1963. Good Conduct Medal. And They Wanted It Back.

Team GunsNet Silver 03/2014 sevlex's Avatar

If this was Houston the city would keep the money.
    Telling the truth is treason in an empire of lies.

WWG1WGA

Nothing good ever comes from a pinched sphincter

The reason why I asked about the coke and money, was because back in the 70's in my town, a guy found a case with $10,000 and two keys of coke in it. It was thrown into a creek, and he turned it in. I'm not sure what became of it.

Take the money and call Charlie Sheen..
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Thumbs up

Good for him.

Do the right thing, for the right reason, every time.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by romak10/63UF View Post
    17,000 dollars... Found .... some one left it on the ground for me to find.... Hmm well there is a nice looking Barrett 82 a1 for 7,999.99 i would really like to have... Then there is future house taxes i could pay off for like 10 years... sorry but if you make a mistake an some one else picks up the ball is it not your fault it landed in your hands at the right moment ? So the answer is yes the morally respectful thing to do is return back the money... But in the other case if you are a hurting family an you havnt been able to find a job in 2 or 3 months then you would have to take the money like its nobodys business i know alot of you guys migh give me hell about this ....
    I would also be tempted to keep it, but at the same time, you never know. It could be someone's life savings, such as what happened a few weeks ago when an owner of a house found a stash of cash from a Depression-era former homeowner, turned it over to the guy's kids.

Other thing to consider: While turning in the money is the morally right thing to do, it's also the legally obligated thing to do. Penal Code A485 in California explicitly states this, and other states have similar laws.

THAT kind of package belongs to people you do not want to mess with. I'd leave it and fuggetaboutit.
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Open the coke and piss on it, leave a thank you note for the money. It is always good to be polite and say thank you.

The $17,000 was handled correctly and anybody who second guesses him is an ass.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

The reason why I asked about the coke and money, was because back in the 70's in my town, a guy found a case with $10,000 and two keys of coke in it. It was thrown into a creek, and he turned it in. I'm not sure what became of it.
    Ok first off when's the last time anyone saw two kilo's of cocaine with only $10K laying next too it. Now $100K sounds more realistic. If I ran cross that I'd for sure leave all $50K and that single kilo of cocaine right where I found it.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    Ok first off when's the last time anyone saw two kilo's of cocaine with only $10K laying next too it. Now $100K sounds more realistic. If I ran cross that I'd for sure leave all $50K and that single kilo of cocaine right where I found it.
    He did say the 70's and I remember a story like that but I don't know from when or where.

Cocaine Found In Space Shuttle Hangar

By Stuart Fox Posted 01.14.2010 at 6:44 pm 28 Comments

Space Shuttle Discovery Jim Grossmann, courtesy of NASA

Apparently, outer space isn't high enough for some folks over at NASA. Earlier today, NASA confirmed that a small baggie of cocaine was found in the hangar housing the space shuttle Discovery. A shuttle maintenance worker found the dime bag outside the men's room, and reported it to security. So far, no one knows who brought the bag into the Kennedy Space Flight Center.

Chemical tests of the baggie contents confirmed that it was, in fact, a dab of nose candy. NASA claims that security officials are investigating both who's blow it was, and how it got into the hangar.
    NASA has a zero tolerance drug policy, so at least one person is going to get fired behind this. However, getting to the bottom of the affair might prove difficult. As Allard Beutel, a NASA spokesman, told SPACE.com, "there are no obvious indications of anyone acting oddly or under the influence."

http://www.popsci.com/science/articl...shuttle-hanger
    Now this is a coke story that bothered me. If I was an astronaut I'd be looking over that rocket and that shuttle real careful before I put my carcass inside it.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.