Thread: Polytech AK in 5.56

Guns Network Contributor 11/2011 insider's Avatar

Polytech AK in 5.56

A Polytech AK in 5.56x45, are they worth the money? I hear magazines are very difficult to find, can the magwell be milled out to accept Norinco mags? What about the EG Weiger .223 mags, I hear they are similar to the Polytech mags? I have a choice between the Norinco, and the Polytech, I like the Poly because it has the folding spike bayonet. So, what's the lowdown?
    I sold all my guns and ammo, now I live the quiet retired life.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

It's worth what ever you think it's worth. Polytech by reputation commands a better price than plain old Norinco weapons. I would advise not doing anything to the mag well in the case of either weapon as they do have a collector following. If you just want a 5.56 AK, get an Arsenal USA rifle. Not collector class.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    The Poly Tech does command a greater price because they were rarer than the Norinco 84S.

What ever you do, NEVER modify a firearm in a manner that it can't be returned to original. If you do any work to the mag well, you can pretty much call your rifle a zero dollar weapon, with only it's value as a firearm, something no collector would touch.

You can modify a Norinco 84S mag to work in the Poly Tech that would still allow it to fit in the 84S as well. You would have to google it as I personally don't remember the exact mod, but I do know that somewhere in my box-o-mags I have one 84S mag that locks into my Poly .223.

What is the difference between the Norinco, and the Polytech mags? I've always heard the Poly's were narrower, is that true?

Someone, anyone?

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    I believe the only difference between the 84S mag and the AKS-223 mag is the height of the front lug. I have a couple of 84S mags that were modified to work in both weapons, but with the price of the Poly Tech mags I am not going to see if I can get them to work the other way.

It actually shocked me when I got an 84S mag that worked in the Poly and saw that someone had modified the mag a bit to get it to fit in both. Now if I can only figure out where I put them!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    I believe the only difference between the 84S mag and the AKS-223 mag is the height of the front lug. I have a couple of 84S mags that were modified to work in both weapons, but with the price of the Poly Tech mags I am not going to see if I can get them to work the other way.

It actually shocked me when I got an 84S mag that worked in the Poly and saw that someone had modified the mag a bit to get it to fit in both. Now if I can only figure out where I put them!!!!!
    We need to get one of each mag do a side by side comparison, and lay this issue to rest once and for all. I have a chance to get a nice Poly .223 spiker, but the hard to find mags are an issue.