Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Upper on Order

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

I bet if you work up some handloads that you can get that best group down to 1/2 that size... but 1" is good for factory ammo.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

nice group with the 75gr. ! i'm sure that twist rate prefers the heavier bullets. remember it's not projectile weight that matters, it's bullet length and shape. the 75gr. bullets are longer and sleeker, compared to their fmj counterparts, because they are boat tail hollow points. the weight of the bullet is spread out due to the hp cavity, thus longer. every barrel likes different loads/projectiles. work up a good load for it and have fun!

As a general question to you guys, Will the groups tighten up a bit as the barrel breaks in? It was brand spankin new when I took it out. It had been test fired but didn't look like more than 5-10 rounds had been through it.

I was really surprised at how bad it did with the M193. That is about as good of a group as I shoot from my 20" A2 with open sights.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

I doubt any group tightening will occur by shooting it more. Hand loading for it will and of course the Cryo treatment thing definitely will make it shoot better. Usually at least 1/3 smaller groups up to 50% smaller in some cases. On the 55 gr. ammo, sometimes it's not just twist that makes things accurate or not, it's how the throating ahead of the chamber is cut. Length, depth and angle all come into play here. Those 75 gr. Hornadays, were those match Hollow Points or TAP with the red plastic tips?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12