Thread: Need opinions on these four rifles please

Need opinions on these four rifles please

OK, I did some looking today and ran across three rifles that piqued my interest:

Rem 721 .30-06
    Ruger 77 MkII .260 Rem
    Marlin XS7 7-08

All three have something of interest to me but the only one I have experience with is the 721 (well, not exactly but close enough) and the prices can probably be haggled somewhat. Here's a description of the rifles along with what I see as the pros and cons starting with the least expensive.

Marlin XS7 7-08 - Looks practically new, stock has been replaced with a Boyds nutmeg laminate, scope mounts included, $330
    Pros:
    7-08 intrigues me, not a budget buster, seems to have pretty good reviews online, looks like it uses the Savage barrel system so barrels can be changed, readily available brass (if .308 brass is used), large selection of 7mm bullets
    Cons:
    No experience with Marlin bolt actions

Ruger 77 MkII .260 Rem - has seen use, includes scope rings, side safety model, $525
    Pros:
    Another caliber of interest to me, basically a short action 6.5x55, probably the best looking overall of the three
    Cons:
    No experience with Ruger bolt actions, top end of budget (maybe over the budget)

Rem 721 .30-06 - Mannlicher stock, Weaver K4 60-B German Post Reticle, no irons (unsure if bbl has been replaced, the sights removed and the holes filled or the sights removed and the bbl turned to remove mounts), $525
    Pros:
    The looks of this one REALLY grab me, 06 can be found at any sporting goods store, I already stock 06 ammo, love the scope, the stock appears to have been well executed
    Cons:
    Again it's top end of the budget, I already have two other 06, heavy but with no sling swivels that I recall and I'd hate to modify the stock for them, doesn't add anything "different" to the accumulation (other than the stock and scope), not much in the way of aftermarket items if I need to change/replace something

EDIT:
    I just remembered a dark horse candidate: A Czech Mauser (E lion 23 acceptance mark) sporterized and chambered in .280 Rem. Don't recall the price and didn't have much interest until I got home and started reading up on the .280. Interesting...

There's still no guarantee I'll be able to get any of them but I'm hoping for good news. What I'd like is feedback on what I see as the pros and cons (I may be overlooking something or looking at it the wrong way), which might be the best value for the money and fair prices (hard to do without better descriptions or pics, I know).

Thanks!
    Last edited by awp101; 06-17-2011 at 05:09 PM.
    I aim to misbehave...

Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits. - Mark Twain

I NEED A YUGO GAS TUBE AND LOWER HG FERRULE PLEASE!

"Fair" is a place they give ribbons to pigs

History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon. - Napoleon Bonaparte

C'thulhu '12! Why settle for the lesser evil?

The 7mm-08 is a round I'd like to shoot, of those rifles it would be the one that most interests me.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

I would tend towards the Ruger. But it's a slide safety model? I didn't think they had the Rem .260 when Ruger used a slide safety?
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Quote Originally Posted by O.S.O.K. View Post
    I would tend towards the Ruger. But it's a slide safety model? I didn't think they had the Rem .260 when Ruger used a slide safety?
    Side. You added an "l"...

What I mean is the safety is on the right side of the action as opposed to the tang safety they used at one time as I recall.
    I aim to misbehave...

History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon. - Napoleon Bonaparte

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

I think the Rugers are fine rifles. .260 Rem a.k.a. 6.5 x .308 is a fine round that offers a lot of hand loading potential. Should be very accurate, 6.5 bullets have humongous Ballistic Coefficients.

Here's my thinking at the moment:

Grab the Marlin now (if possible) and put the Ruger on layawake. I'm reading about the differences between the Savage and Marlin bolt heads with the thought of having Savage barrels in .308 and .223 (plus a .223 bolt head) gives me options. The Ruger would give me a second 6.5 eater making bullet commonality easier assuming they both like the same weight bullet. Anyone want to take bets on that happening?

I can find a Weaver like the one on the 721 with a bit of searching at the shows and online for $100-150. Also the extractor is riveted on the 721 and my understanding is they are prone to break. Replacements are pert near unobtanium but they can be converted to a Sako type extractor. $$$ though.
    I aim to misbehave...

Quote Originally Posted by awp101 View Post
    Side. You added an "l"...

What I mean is the safety is on the right side of the action as opposed to the tang safety they used at one time as I recall.
    OH - then I will definately say the Ruger - for sure. You will love it.

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

my rugers have the safety on the bolt shroud. i recall seeing a tang safety one, but i dont recall a remington type safety on the side of the action on a ruger before.

converting a remington to a sako type extractor is not hard, if you have access to a mill.

PA, where the cold is only matched by the isolation
    I would higly reccomend the Marlin, I have 2 and they are excelent rifles. The only 2 known issues with them is the extractor can break (which you can get a replacement from Marlin) and if you tighten the rear trigger guard screw too much you can crack the plastic triggerguard. That's only an issue if you pull the action out of the stock, and you can order an aluminum trigger guard from marlin that can be modified to replace the plastic one. $330 would be an OK price if the gun was still wearing it's factory stock, its a pretty good deal with a replacement stock. Plus since it's used it will probably be a proper Marlin made piece (Remington now owns marlin and produces all their guns) The was to tell is to look on the barrel right infront of the reciever, if there is a "JM" mark on the left side its a Marlin, if it has a "REP" mark on the right side its a Remlin. There isn't anything wrong with the Remginton guns, they just aren't "real" marlins.

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by deth502 View Post
    my rugers have the safety on the bolt shroud. i recall seeing a tang safety one, but i dont recall a remington type safety on the side of the action on a ruger before.

converting a remington to a sako type extractor is not hard, if you have access to a mill.
    my bad. took the ruger out this morning and apparently my memory had failed me. it is a side swinging type of safety similar to ones seen on a shroud, but it is on the side of the receiver, and not on the shroud itself.

Ruger started with the slide tang safety and then changed to a Winchester-style safety which is still the design IIRC.

Bottom line to me is that the Ruger is the best quality for the money rifle that he's looking at and the caliber is a pip too. IMHO