Thread: My Target for June

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

My Target for June

Got to the range today. It was great. Normally I go on the Sundays and there are always a bunch of people there, and with the weather getting nice more people are there. Today there were only about 4 of us, and for a while I had the 50 yard line to myself. Anyway here are my targets.

Here is my first practice target. I was shooting from a bench rest at 50 yards with my M1 Carbine.

This is my actual target for submission. I will send it on Monday. You will notice that there are 11 holes, with one marked out. Turns out I can't count any better this month than last. I marked out the last round fired at the target. I wish it had been one not quite as close to the 10 ring! I fired this from the sitting position. I feel more comfortable this way than prone, but I need to start practicing in the prone position.

After shooting the official target I just had fun and fired 25 rounds at this target. Turns out I fire better when I am not as focused on breath control, and squeezing the trigger. I just breath slowly and when the sight picture is correct is fire. So, instead of shooting once ever minute or so, I was shooting about every 2-3 seconds. I will have to shoot this way next month.

"Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Thumbs up

I am using scoring rules that are pretty typical of competitions. A TMS, (too many shots) target gets the highest scoring shot deducted. So you lose your 10 but will get to keep that 8. Which reminds me to go put the TMS rule in the post on rules.

Next time might I suggest counting out the rounds and then loading only those rounds into one specific magazine. Still your little carbine especially off the bench shows it groups well.

You should try prone if you can do it, much more solid for most. However it is tough on the elbows. Last month I had a shooting mat and elbow pads and I still wore blisters on each elbow. I'm hoping this month they will be tougher and I don't get the blisters again.

I am pretty happy with the way the Carbine shoots. Actuallly, I am very happy. I need to get enough time to take my Garand out and get it sighted in. The rear sight came loose so I need to spend some time with it to get it rezeroed. If I can do that I may shift rifles. I may not though, I am pretty happy with how I am doing with the Carbine.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Next time might I suggest counting out the rounds and then loading only those rounds into one specific magazine. Still your little carbine especially off the bench shows it groups well.
    I actully did that. I was reloading mags and someone started talking to me about my Carbine after I put only 1 round into a mag. When I finished talking to him I looked at my mag and thought I had to shoot one more round, I mean there was one round left. I fired it and went to reload and then I noticed that there were only 4 rounds in the line in the box instead of 5. What a bother. I am glad this is a fun match instead of one with spectators and such to really laugh at my inexperience!

NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by ltorlo64 View Post
    I actully did that. I was reloading mags and someone started talking to me about my Carbine after I put only 1 round into a mag. When I finished talking to him I looked at my mag and thought I had to shoot one more round, I mean there was one round left. I fired it and went to reload and then I noticed that there were only 4 rounds in the line in the box instead of 5. What a bother. I am glad this is a fun match instead of one with spectators and such to really laugh at my inexperience!
    Well In my case last month somebody asking me a question about my Hi Power pistol caused me to under shoot by 1 round. Looks like range people and questions are our weak spots.

Speaking of carbines, I still have one in pieces in a box that hasn't been together for 7 years now. I really should rebuild it don't you think? Still I wouldn't use it simply because I don't have much carbine ammo, just 3/4 of a .50 cal. can all original Korean stuff on strippers in bandoleers. .30-06 I have tons of and components should I need to reload some M2 ball ammo.
    Last edited by Schuetzenman; 06-19-2011 at 06:59 PM.

You know I just did an informal scoring of your targets off your photos. Blowing up the images to 400% it looks pretty clear and scoreable if that's a word. IF your bench fired practice target had been your real target you would of shot the 2nd highest score for this match this month.

The real target does more than double your score from May so you are moving in the right direction. I would suggest trying prone position. You'll need a hunk of carpte to lay on and wear some elbow pads. I used to use knee pads on my elbows, believe me you will want those pads. Shooting prone lookes easy but supporting your upper body weight and the gun on the points of your elbows isn't easy. I have blisters for the 2nd month now but they are about half what I got from May's effort.
    Last edited by Schuetzenman; 06-19-2011 at 10:09 PM.

Thumbs up

To Old Grump, well done on the rifle targets! You are the lead rifle shooter in both events this month. In fact you equaled your Bolt Action Rifle score from last month, impressive.