Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Finally Test Fired my Del-Ton 16" Lightweight....and serious problems emerged

ADMIN | LOGIC POLICE RJ Shooter's Avatar

Make sure your gas rings are not lined up on your bolt. I've known people to align them, and thus causing the gas to bleed off and not fully work the bolt and carrier correctly...

The Guns Network | Often Imitated - Never Duplicated!
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    I guess every one of my M16 / AR15 mags aren't milspec then right down to the ones with the contract number on them. They all require a hard smack to seat if fully loaded and the bolt is forward. To eliminate the effort I simply pull on the charging handle and lock the bolt group back for mag insertion the first time. Ever there after the bolt is locked back by the follower so it's ready for a full mag with no slapping involved.
    Are you a pencil neck? How hard is it to put a mag in and make it lock without slapping it?

PS

Even if the gas rings gap lines up, a m4 type has so much gas pressure to work with it should not matter at all.

Chill guys. I'm going to Del-Ton probably tomorrow with the rifle, the mags, and ammo to test her out there and hopefully catch the problem. Will be cool to see their shop at least.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Looking forward to hearing about that trip!
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 5.56NATO View Post
    Are you a pencil neck? How hard is it to put a mag in and make it lock without slapping it?
    Are you a dumb-ass?

All I am saying is if you are so weak you can't make a mag lock in place without slapping it you should probably stick to revolvers.

I generally don't smack my mags in so it's not a question of weakness. But nice trolling.

Just got back from Del-Ton. The grand result = they ran 50 rounds of my ammo through it and said they were unable to reproduce the jamming. They replaced the ejector spring which in their opinion was weak. So, I saw that Del-Ton has a shop in an industrial park, and have a nice but small waiting area. Plenty of building was going on behind the security door, but that was that. At least I can give an FYI that they have milspec receivers on sale for $75 on account of having minor finishing blemishes.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Sounds like del-ton. Now to see how it does for you at the range after this visit.

I wonder if there might have been an obstruction in the gas tube that finally blew out?
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Quote Originally Posted by pastfinder View Post
    Just got back from Del-Ton. The grand result = they ran 50 rounds of my ammo through it and said they were unable to reproduce the jamming. They replaced the ejector spring which in their opinion was weak. So, I saw that Del-Ton has a shop in an industrial park, and have a nice but small waiting area. Plenty of building was going on behind the security door, but that was that. At least I can give an FYI that they have milspec receivers on sale for $75 on account of having minor finishing blemishes.
    Always good to hear a company caring about, and standing behind their product.

Too bad I don't need another AR lower, got one from NODAK last year, factory blem with zero blems on it, for a future SBR.

Maybe. I hope to take it out again this weekend. Shame I couldn't see the shop, but don't blame them for security.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pastfinder View Post
    Maybe. I hope to take it out again this weekend. Shame I couldn't see the shop, but don't blame them for security.
    Security and productivity are probably their concerns. Visitors would probably distract the gunsmiths building weapons. I wonder how many a day they each have to turn out? BTW good to hear that it was running OK.

I don't blame them one bit, but neither was I bothered by it. I would conduct business the exact same way. From the sounds of things, and the number of cars in the lot, they were busy and working away on either kits, uppers, lowers, or complete rifles. Highly efficient I have to say. I arrived at 9:05, and left at 9:30. That's service.

I test fired the rifle today after Del-Ton worked on it. Four magazines and 80 rounds later she worked flawlessly. Looks like it was the ejector spring after all. Glad she is functional at last...now to have fun with her

Awesome!

Glad to hear you got it working and that the folks at DTI had good customer service.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2015 mrkalashnikov's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 5.56NATO View Post
    All I am saying is if you are so weak you can't make a mag lock in place without slapping it you should probably stick to revolvers.
    Dayum skippy, what's with the hate?

No hate, just that bad mags and poorly finished ammo can lead to failure to chamber. If you have to slap a mag into place you may want to work on getting a little strength built up, or like I said, use a revolver.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12