Thread: Al Capone’s gun could net $100,000 at auction

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

Post Al Capone’s gun could net $100,000 at auction

Al Capone’s gun could net $100,000 at auction

By Dan Rozek Staff Reporter/drozek@suntimes.com
    June 19, 2011 8:22PM
    Updated: June 19, 2011 8:52PM

It’s a unique piece of Chicago crime history: the piece once carried by legendary mob boss Al Capone.

The six-shot revolver — a .38-caliber Colt Police Special, ironically — could sell for more than $100,000 when it’s auctioned this week by Christie’s, the London-based house better known for pitching paintings than pistols.

To read the rest of the story click the link below.

http://www.suntimes.com/business/605...t-auction.html

Steve
    After today, it's all historical.

Thats a lot of money. I wonder if it was actually his.

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

I'd also like to see a Colt factory letter showing where it was originally shipped. No guarantee but if it showed that it went to a hardware store or some place in Chicago rather than a gun shop in Sante Fe I'd feel better about the provenance. Wonder if there are any photos out there showing Capone with this or any other firearm?
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

You would think a company like Christie’s would do as much independent research as possible to verify the claim of being one of Al Capone's guns. I'll be curious as to how much this gun actually sells for at auction.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Gunreference1 View Post
    You would think a company like Christie’s would do as much independent research as possible to verify the claim of being one of Al Capone's guns. I'll be curious as to how much this gun actually sells for at auction.

Steve
    True. Compared to S&W ($35) a Colt factory letter is pretty spendy ($75-$300 depending on the firearm plus Colt may charge a fee just for looking even if they don't find anything) but for something like this it could be $75 well spent.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Okay....I'm sitting here reading this and thinking:

"A .38 revolver was good enough for Al Capone to carry....but I am somehow less than adequately armed if I carry one."

Not necessarily talking about anyone here mind you...just some people in general.

Quote Originally Posted by TomO View Post
    Okay....I'm sitting here reading this and thinking:

"A .38 revolver was good enough for Al Capone to carry....but I am somehow less than adequately armed if I carry one."

Not necessarily talking about anyone here mind you...just some people in general.
    It's all about perspective. Capone was most likely never out of sight of one or more "bodyguards" so he pretty much could have carried anything and it would have been "good enough" though as someone who packs a 5 shot .38 Special I've never felt unarmed when doing so.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    It's all about perspective. Capone was most likely never out of sight of one or more "bodyguards" so he pretty much could have carried anything and it would have been "good enough" though as someone who packs a 5 shot .38 Special I've never felt unarmed when doing so.
    Very true....but then considering his position I would think that it would be good to take every precaution.

Quote Originally Posted by TomO View Post
    Very true....but then considering his position I would think that it would be good to take every precaution.
    He did, he had his rivals (real or imagined) killed before they could get to him.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    He did, he had his rivals (real or imagined) killed before they could get to him.
    True dat...

Al Capone's handgun sells for $110,000 at auction

(AP) – 4 hours ago

LONDON (AP) — A handgun once owned by gangster Al Capone sold for nearly $110,000 Wednesday at an auction in London.

The Colt .38 revolver was manufactured in 1929, the year of the St. Valentine's Day Massacre, when seven people were slain during clashes in Chicago between Capone's gang and a rival mob.

To read the rest of the story click the link below.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...8e59a5804a148c

Steve

Wonder how that works in England as far as owning a live firearm or was it dewatted? They do have an exemption for "historical firearms" with regards to "pistols".
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068