Thread: Question on AIM-Surplus 45rd Bakelite 5.45 AK mags?

Senior Member sniper_n_training's Avatar

Question on AIM-Surplus 45rd Bakelite 5.45 AK mags?

Does anyone know what country these mags are from?

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.as...ine&groupid=15

I'm guessing either Bulgaria or Russia? Thinking about picking one up just to add to the collection, but wanted to get some info on them first?

Can we get them from Russia? Most of this stuff seems to be coming by way of Bulgarian any more.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

I can't really tell. Zooming the view to 400% still doesn't show any arsenal mark to tell. They LOOK East German, I've owned a lot of 30 round EG Bakes. I really haven't owned any others.

On Russian, we can't directly import most things from Russia or their former Soviet era Satellite nations. However if a shrewd importer decided to buy weapons, ammo or mags and stage them in Canada for 5 years they would be "Laundered" and then would be importable to the US. How do you think all those cases of Russian 5.45x39 are getting in for sale?

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

They look very similar to my E Germ 30 rounders too - the ones that you get in the battle packs with accoutraments... and I think mine have numbers on the side/bottom like that too...
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Team GunsNet Silver 03/2014 sevlex's Avatar

I also vote for E German. The page states no arsenal marks & the pic shows a mold number.
    Telling the truth is treason in an empire of lies.

WWG1WGA

Nothing good ever comes from a pinched sphincter

Well ordered one for the hell of it. Figure I need me a good 45rd bakelite to keep the 30rd bakelites company in the safe. Will post pics and any info I can find when I get it.
    Last edited by sniper_n_training; 06-21-2011 at 05:16 PM.

Interesting......keep us informed.
    Here's to pussy and gunpowder. One to live for, the other to die by.....Goddamn though, I do love the smell of 'em both !!!

Got the mag today. After a few minutes of searching a few different websites, it's clear this mag is a Bulgarian. It looks identical to the far left 45rd bakelite pictured here:

Empty circle on the right side of the mag provides proof it is a Bulgy. The condition is brand spanking new! This thing doesn't look like its ever been used or inserted into a rifle! Very happy with my purchase from AIM! Thanks guys!