Thread: Thoughts on 870 police?

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011

Question Thoughts on 870 police?

There is an 870 police magnum for sale locally, and I am curious to see what you guys think about the setup. It has a 20 inch barrel with rifle sights and a +3 extension which IMO looks goofy as hell.
    Now I would prefer an 18 inch barrel over 20, and I'm not crazy about the rifle sights anyway, but would it be unwise to grab this up for $500, then turn right around and do a barrel swap? I would obviously swap the extension too (and hope that a +2 extension would fit the 18/18.5 barrel better). Or should I just practice patience and wait for one to come along how I like it?

Quote Originally Posted by 6gunsal View Post
    There is an 870 police magnum for sale locally, and I am curious to see what you guys think about the setup. It has a 20 inch barrel with rifle sights and a +3 extension which IMO looks goofy as hell.
    Now I would prefer an 18 inch barrel over 20, and I'm not crazy about the rifle sights anyway, but would it be unwise to grab this up for $500, then turn right around and do a barrel swap? I would obviously swap the extension too (and hope that a +2 extension would fit the 18/18.5 barrel better). Or should I just practice patience and wait for one to come along how I like it?
    $500 sounds high to me. Check gunbroker. They have them on there starting in the $300 range.

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

New or used and if used what's it's condition like?

Summit Gun Broker has NIB Police Magnums with rifle sights for $525. I've got a Beretta FP101 with a 20" tube and an 870 Wingmaster with an 18" and the difference isn't worth noticing. If it's new I'd say the price is fine. An 18" bbl is going to run you $100-$150 plus shipping. You'd be better off to find a used 870 with a hunting length barrel for a couple hundred and buy a barrel for it.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Viking350 View Post
    $500 sounds high to me. Check gunbroker. They have them on there starting in the $300 range.
    Thanks for the fast reply! The only comparables I could find were all tact'd out and priced 700+

The lower price is for a Express 870 not a Police Magnum.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    The lower price is for a Express 870 not a Police Magnum.
    Nah, they were police magnums, but used. When I read his post I thought it was used. My bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    New or used and if used what's it's condition like?

Summit Gun Broker has NIB Police Magnums with rifle sights for $525. I've got a Beretta FP101 with a 20" tube and an 870 Wingmaster with an 18" and the difference isn't worth noticing. If it's new I'd say the price is fine. An 18" bbl is going to run you $100-$150 plus shipping. You'd be better off to find a used 870 with a hunting length barrel for a couple hundred and buy a barrel for it.
    Good info. The gun is used, but looks lightly used.

I am in need of a shotgun, but I have a hard time putting it at the top of the list. I'll pass on this one and see what happens.
    Last edited by 6gunsal; 06-23-2011 at 03:14 PM.

Nah, they were police magnums, but used. When I read his post I thought it was used. My bad.
    Here is a link to one.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=237383149

Good info. The gun is used, but looks lightly used.

I am in need of a shotgun, but I have a hard time putting it at the top of the list. I'll pass on this one and see what happens.
    I'm telling you what, used is the way to go. My wife picked up my nearly new 12ga Wingmaster for me one year for our anniversary, high gloss wood, 30" vent rib, full choke, 3" chamber, it's beautiful. She paid $225 for it. I picked up a blued 18" cylinder bored barrel at an auction in Covington for $50 and now I've got something I can hunt or shoot skeet with and use for home protection, all for less than 3 bills.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

You were right, lol. I don't have a problem with buying used either, Richard, that might be what I end up doing.

PA, where the cold is only matched by the isolation
    You were right, lol. I don't have a problem with buying used either, Richard, that might be what I end up doing.

Just look around for a used mossberg maverick with a short barrel, they should run under $200 and will hold you over just fine until you find your dream shotty. You should also reconsider your aversion to rifle sights, as slugs are a very good self defense option

a $500 870? thats nuts build a winny 1300,thats what im gonna do

I just got this in an email from cdnn.

Remington Express 870 12/18/3" Black Matte Finish Black Synthetic Stock

Bead Front Sight Built-in 2-Shot Extension Tube 7+1 Capacity New

#REM25077 $289.99

I just got this in an email from cdnn.

Remington Express 870 12/18/3" Black Matte Finish Black Synthetic Stock

Bead Front Sight Built-in 2-Shot Extension Tube 7+1 Capacity New

#REM25077 $289.99
    Don't want to start a whole new debate, but I'd prefer the police model over express. If I just needed a hunting/clay shotty then the express would be fine; but this would be my do-it-all shotty.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet SILVER 01/2011 AKTexas's Avatar

Best 250 bucks I ever spent. Bought it at the Gunshow a few years back. The one I got was 1 out a dozen or so for sale. Police trade in beat up wood but fully functional. I have a speed feed pistol grip stock on my now, a Scattergun Tech +2 extension and a Mesa Tactical side saddle on mine.

I spent nothing on the add on parts just traded some gun parts for them. $350 would be my top end price for one.
    NRA, TSRA, GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA
    BEING THE MODERATOR OF THE ROADHOUSE IS LIKE BEING THE JANITOR OF A PEEP SHOW.