Thread: With All of the Amish Causing Trouble.......

With All of the Amish Causing Trouble.......

I was thinking of picking up a .308 carbine. I'm currently sitting on 12 M1A magazines with no rifle to shoot it in. My only other .308 is an HK SR9, but it has a 22" barrel. Looking for opinions on the Springfield Armory Socom (no, not that queer-ass SocomII with the quad-rail). I know that the price is steep. What about accuracy, reliability, ease of controlling the recoil? I'd like to have something a little bigger for close-in targets that may have a little somethin' left in them after a .223 or 5.45x39. What say ye?
    Last edited by Charliebravo; 06-30-2011 at 11:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Charliebravo View Post
    I was thinking of picking up a .308 carbine. I'm currently sitting on 12 M1A magazines with no rifle to shoot it in. My only other .308 is an HK SR9, but it has a 22" barrel. Looking for opimions on the Sprinfield Armory Socom (no, not that queer-ass SocomII with the quad-rail). I know that the price is steep. What about accuracy, reliability, ease of controlling the recoil? I'd like to have something a little bigger for close-in targets that may have a little somethin' left in them after a .223 or 5.45x39. What say ye?
    Roger that on the steep price. I have been wanting one or a PTR para for a while now. I hear they are similar in the accuracy dept.

IMO a 308 needs atleast a 20 inch barrel to get all it offers out of the cartridge.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet SILVER 01/2011 AKTexas's Avatar

I know nothing about the Socom other than the one fellow at the range had one with one of the chassis systems folding sights on the rail and a cheap BSA red do NC star laser, flashlight and bi-pod that collapsed every time they fired the rifle. Must have run out money on the rifle and stock system.

Looked goofy with the extra buis, rails with all the doo-dads.

I do know the M1A NM is super accurate with the iron sights. 1" groups @ yards with DAG.
    NRA, TSRA, GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA
    BEING THE MODERATOR OF THE ROADHOUSE IS LIKE BEING THE JANITOR OF A PEEP SHOW.

Quote Originally Posted by AKTexas View Post
    I know nothing about the Socom other than the one fellow at the range had one with one of the chassis systems folding sights on the rail and a cheap BSA red do NC star laser, flashlight and bi-pod that collapsed every time they fired the rifle. Must have run out money on the rifle and stock system.
    Fuck all that. I'm talking bone stock, but maybe with an Aimpoint mounted on the scout rail. Besides, once you get all that shit on there, you've taken a light, handy rifle and turned it into an unweildy bohemoth. I know that the shorter barrel would cut the accuracy and velocity a bit, but I'm going for maneuverability more than long-range accuracy. I've got the HK if I want to go long.

Is there a bullpup stock like as unto the mini14?

Dude I think their scout model might be a nice stop gap for what you say your looking for. I like the scout M1a with 18'' barrel, still handy, and doesnt give up too much with speed, accuracy compared to the 16'' barreled Socom. Maybe with a synthetic stock like the Socoms.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet SILVER 01/2011 AKTexas's Avatar

Fuck all that. I'm talking bone stock, but maybe with an Aimpoint mounted on the scout rail. Besides, once you get all that shit on there, you've taken a light, handy rifle and turned it into an unweildy bohemoth. I know that the shorter barrel would cut the accuracy and velocity a bit, but I'm going for maneuverability more than long-range accuracy. I've got the HK if I want to go long.
    I had a hard time not laughing at the guy and his son struggle with the bi-pod. I think the Aimpoint would be perfect for the small forward rail. The Socom is on my shortlist of wants. I'm with you on the bare bone model. Spend the extra on mags and a nice optic of sort.
    NRA, TSRA, GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA
    BEING THE MODERATOR OF THE ROADHOUSE IS LIKE BEING THE JANITOR OF A PEEP SHOW.

I have a Springfield M1a that I love. Good shooting rifle. also have a Garand in .308 as well. Great rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by arcangel View Post
    Dude I think their scout model might be a nice stop gap for what you say your looking for. I like the scout M1a with 18'' barrel, still handy, and doesnt give up too much with speed, accuracy compared to the 16'' barreled Socom.
    The Scout model is notoriously inaccurate. Something about the barrel length and twist rate being incompatible. S.A. chopped the barrel of the M1A down to 18", but didn't change the twist. Apparently, they don't work well together.

PA, where the cold is only matched by the isolation
    just get one of these

The Scout model is notoriously inaccurate. Something about the barrel length and twist rate being incompatible. S.A. chopped the barrel of the M1A down to 18", but didn't change the twist. Apparently, they don't work well together.
    My brother has a Scout model. Its barrel is heavier than a standard GI model and has 6 grooves instead of the original 4(comparing it to my older GI model w/ GI parts). With a scope on it, it will shoot under 2 MOA with surplus and about 1 MOA with match ammo. That doesn't seem all that inaccurate to me.

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

I would rather get an M1A than then SOCOM. It looks cool, sort of. I think the M1A looks better and it is already proven. Were it not in .308 I would think seriously about getting one. I don't want to have to start stocking up on another caliber of ammo.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member