Thread: Calling old grump out!

Calling old grump out!

22LR, scope 3x shot today

50 yards:

and 100 yards:

You have seven days to beat it!!!!

Hey Moe, did you use a .22cal shotgun or something...lol

romak10/63UF
    Even i get tighter groups than that with my ruger 10-22... im sure old grump even with his failing eye sight will be able to do better than that

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin

25 yards with 10/22. I switched from Remington Golden Bullets to Blazer CCI and had to re-zero because it was shooting a little low. That is 10 rounds per star, I still need to come 3 clicks left.

50 yards with 10/22 using Golden Remington Bullets fired last September. I shoot this target every year on 911 and will continue to for as long as I can shoot.

100 yards with my S&W M41 pistol, again using Remington Golden Bullets. If I had been shooting a match I would have switched to Winchester Super X match ammo.

99 degrees today so I didn't shoot but I will get out early tomorrow morning with the 10/22 and that cheap Blazer ammo and see what I can do for you. You and Cevulirn, Renegade Buck and a few others need to get your butts up the little Hut in the Woods so we can have a little shooting match in my back yard. Nothing like a little pressure to start making those groups go south.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

Grump,
    Stock10/22?

Quote Originally Posted by vit View Post
    Grump,
    Stock10/22?
    Upgraded trigger and Green Mountain 20" Bull Barrel. It shot like crap for the first few years and then all of a sudden it started shooting tight. Funny thing is I shoot nearly as well with my 46 year old Marlin 60. How bout them apples.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

Quote Originally Posted by 308 View Post
    Hey Moe, did you use a .22cal shotgun or something...lol
    Nah, it's a custom build 10/22.
    Just picked up the scope and had to set it.
    I figured starting at 50 yards wasn't bad.

Quote Originally Posted by romak10/63UF View Post
    Even i get tighter groups than that with my ruger 10-22... im sure old grump even with his failing eye sight will be able to do better than that
    Really? Prove it. You have until friday to post 50 & 100 yards.
    The 2nd Amendment : Washington didn't use his right to free speech to defeat the British, he shot them.

Quote Originally Posted by old Grump View Post
    99 degrees today so I didn't shoot but I will get out early tomorrow morning with the 10/22 and that cheap Blazer ammo and see what I can do for you. You and Cevulirn, Renegade Buck and a few others need to get your butts up the little Hut in the Woods so we can have a little shooting match in my back yard. Nothing like a little pressure to start making those groups go south.
    I was using the walmart brand "xpert 22HP" by winchester. I think I will use the copper wash next ime out. Gotta get a trigger job done, pull is a bit heavy for this tacker.
    The 2nd Amendment : Washington didn't use his right to free speech to defeat the British, he shot them.

I had 2 major problems from the get go. All they did was take a stock 10/22, screwed on the Green Mountain barrel and forced it into a plastic stock. The trigger was easily the worst one in my entire gun collection.

It would climb vertically about 3" from a cold barrel which made shooting a match impossible. I pounded the stock off the receiver with a large rubber mallet and found they had not cleaned the flashing from the stock. Razor blade took care of that, Tossed the old trigger and bought the Timney and had my gunsmith put it in because I also had a hole drilled in line with the barrel in the rear of the receiver. With the guts pulled I can push a rod straight through or use a snake.

I literally spent over a grand that summer buying a case of every highly recommended ammo and most of it was special order. Still a scatter gun. Tighter but not up to my other guns and this was the only match gun I owned other than a couple of pistols. Then one day about 5 years after I bought the gun I'm fooling around with bulk ammo and I was putting them in small groups. Out to 50 or 60 yards it seems to make absolutely no difference what I shoot. At 100 yards the pricey Winchester Super X seems to fight the wind better and is more consistent.

I only switched to Blazer because of the 14,000+ rounds of 22 ammo I have about a quarter of it is Blazer CCI. I got it because my toy store had a lot of it and the price was right. I haven't shot it at 100 yards yet. Will let you know tomorrow how it works out. The Remington Golden Bullet bought in the boxes of 100 work well but I pay a little extra for it. The Remington bulk not so much, failures to feed, fire or eject are a pain in the tookus.

The cheap bulk ammo works fine in my single shot bolt action savage but that gun has close to a million rounds through it since 1964 and I still shoot it even with 10 other 22's in the house. It's simple, rude, crude, scratched and anything but pretty but I killed a lot of acorns and walnuts with it back in the 60's and 70's. It is literally the gun I learned to shoot with.

Just don't ask me to compete against 63's little girl, she is a shooter. Ask him to post her target again and explain her gun. I think the barrel is made out of Amazonian spider silk spun in the dark of the moon and turned into a rifle barrel by a coven of Wiccans.

THUCYDIDES.

Quote Originally Posted by old Grump View Post
    The Remington bulk not so much, failures to feed, fire or eject are a pain in the tookus.
    Yeah, I have the same problem with this ammo.
    I need to pick up a box of blazers and see how it works out.

Shot this morning. I was awful sore from my gardening yesterday and my allergies had me down for awhile but about 10:30 the wind picked up the temp was only 86 and I was feeling better

This is my gun and the ammo I was shooting off my shooting bench at 100 yards and my 100 yard , wind blowing left to right picked up to a steady 20-25 mph but I shot anyway. I didn't change my zero from 25 yards, I just allowed a little Kentucky and shot for group not score. About every third round was a fail to eject, they all shot but I think the Blazer is just a little weak to work the 10/22 reliably. Guess I will go back to my other ammo.

This is my 50 yard target, at 11:30, wind died down to 8mph, I aimed at the 4 over the head of the target and didn't do to bad but I still have the every 3rd or 4th round failing to eject.

THUCYDIDES.

Nice Grumpie!

This is the shing-ding that's been fighting me:

It's not gonna look like this for long, by monday I'm gonna use the other receiver I built as well to test out in the field. If it works better, than it will stay and I'll build another for the G36 stock.