Thread: Made a convert today

Made a convert today

The Boy has had a steady girlfriend for a while now. In fact, it's looking more and more like I can refer to her as the FDiL (Future Daughter in Law). She knows I shoot and The Boy has tried to get her to shoot with him a couple of times but all he has is a 9mm and it "scares" her.

She came out with us today and I started her off with a Single Six loaded with .22 Shorts (after the obligatory safety class and a short history of the single action and .22 of course ). I fired it once to show the lack of report and recoil and had her fire off the remaining 5. Then I loaded it with .22LR, fired one to show the difference between the Short and LR and had her fire off the remaining 5. She was pretty excited over actually shooting a real firearm.

Next I loaded it up, made it safe and set it on the bench. I pointed out to her that as it was, it was not going to jump up and attack anyone. Nor was it going to cause her or anyone around us to run amok. It was simply an inanimate object with no decision making capabilities. All decisions would be made by the person holding it. From that point on she seemed to "get it".

She wound up trying the Single Six, High Standard M100 and 1911 with the .22 conversion. The Single Six was clearly her favorite with the HS second. The 1911 was being picky so she didn't enjoy it as much. The last thing she shot was the CZ452 which she enjoyed as well.

For a first timer, she did pretty good. Shooting offhand she hit the paper more often than not (started at 5yds and she moved it out to around 15-20yds) and she kept the 25yd plate ringing fairly regularly. I wasn't worried about groups but she did a respectable job and I sure wouldn't stand in front of her!

It was a good couple of hours in the oven, I mean at the range, and I'm hoping it sticks with her.
    I aim to misbehave...

Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits. - Mark Twain

I NEED A YUGO GAS TUBE AND LOWER HG FERRULE PLEASE!

"Fair" is a place they give ribbons to pigs

History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon. - Napoleon Bonaparte

C'thulhu '12! Why settle for the lesser evil?

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 NewbieAKguy's Avatar

Well done! And if your hunch she'll be your FDL, that'll be much easier when/if the youngins come along .
    "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time; the hand of force may destroy, but cannot disjoin them. ... Can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God? That they are not to be violated but with His wrath? Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just: that his justice cannot sleep for ever."--Thomas Jefferson

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Well done. My daughter would love for me to get a revolver for her to shoot. Those Rugers look pretty good and are reliable.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Slow and easy is the way to go. Builds their confidence and gains a little more respect for the 22. Had my nephew out shooting my 10/22 at 100 yards today and in spite of the wind he did a real respectable job. I have been having him shoot my Savage single shot bolt action 22 with iron sights at 50' off hand and not letting him use a scope or a rest and it paid off. The more new comers we can get in the fold the better for all of us.

Now you need to get your boy to looking seriously at some 22's.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

Good job on helping her get comfortable with shooting. Most noobs dont understand where or how to get started and it shows when they pick up a gun. Having someone explain and show whats right is really a good feeling for both. My GF's sister never shot a gun before so we took her shooting, she shot my G19 and after a few rounds she was very comfortable, she didnt like the .45 though.