Thread: RRB 7x57

RRB 7x57

I was doing some digging on the 7x57 a few months back, looking for old articles and such. I had forgotten there were some Rem Rolling Blocks chambered for the 7x57 for Mexico as well as various and sundry other SA countries.

Found this one on Guns International in April, contacted the seller, did some haggling and gave it a new home.

Remington Rolling Block, probably a Model 1902 on a No5 action:

Target pics next post
    I aim to misbehave...

Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits. - Mark Twain

I NEED A YUGO GAS TUBE AND LOWER HG FERRULE PLEASE!

"Fair" is a place they give ribbons to pigs

History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon. - Napoleon Bonaparte

C'thulhu '12! Why settle for the lesser evil?

On it's first range trip I wound up putting 6rds through it checking what sort of Kentucky elevation I needed. Turns out I didn't need any at all. I believe the front sight has been replaced. I didn't see where the first shot landed so I shifted my POA and wound up off the paper. It wasn't until the third shot that I saw where the first shot hit. I used that as my reference point and shots 4, 5 and 6 made me very happy. Here's 4 of the first 6 shots:

Before leaving the range, I decided to fire off the last 6 rounds of 7x57 in the box and wound up with this:
    I aim to misbehave...

History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon. - Napoleon Bonaparte

Team GunsNet Gold 05/2011

7x57 is my favorite round.

It is a better balance of size, power and lethality than .30-06, 8mm or .308. I don't know how the 6.5x55 Swede stacks up against it, but it (7x57) blows away .303, 6.5 Jap and Carcano, 7.7 Jap. 7.65 Argentine and all the others.

IMO of course.

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

Thumbs up

I was doing some digging on the 7x57 a few months back, looking for old articles and such. I had forgotten there were some Rem Rolling Blocks chambered for the 7x57 for Mexico as well as various and sundry other SA countries.

Found this one on Guns International in April, contacted the seller, did some haggling and gave it a new home.

Remington Rolling Block, probably a Model 1902 on a No5 action:
    awp101, I do indeed believe you have a Remington Model 1897 Military Rifle (a.k.a. Model 1902). This rifle was made from about 1897-1917. This version should have automatic ejection. It used the same action as the No. 1 Rolling Block but chambered in smokeless cartridges. You have a very nice rifle!

Steve
    After today, it's all historical.

Thanks! And it's a hoot too!

One thing if anyone gets the hots for one of these is the chamber specs were a little different for the 7x57s bound for Mexico/CA/SA. The chamber is a little deeper. Somewhere I ran across the info on it, I'll see if I can find it again.

Prvi does fine with a tiny bit of stretching near the base but the two S&B rounds I tried split the base. I'll keep those for the Spanish 1916 Carbine.

One thing that attracted me to this rifle is that it's already been sporterized, probably in the 50s.
    I aim to misbehave...

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Congrats, looks to be a pretty good shooter. Missed the recoil pad the first time I looked at the images. Shame that is, but you might be able to find a replacement military stock for it. Look at Numeric Arms a.k.a. Gun Parts Corp. for starters.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet SILVER 01/2011 AKTexas's Avatar

Nice rifle.Now that is something different.
    NRA, TSRA, GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA
    BEING THE MODERATOR OF THE ROADHOUSE IS LIKE BEING THE JANITOR OF A PEEP SHOW.