Thread: just got my first tokarev..coupla questions

just got my first tokarev..coupla questions

hi,
    my son just gave me a tok m213,to compliment my ak(good son i have)he knew i was looking for a 9mm as my beretta 92 was stolen.was looking at getting a stoeger cougar but this seems to be an interesting pistol.
    about the gun,it has no markings on it but a smallstamping on the frame of tok 213,also on the right side b-west of tucson and a serial number.it has wrap around grips and an awful manual safety that has allready cut the web of my hand..lol
    it is very clean,barrel looks to be very nice.

i went to shoot it yesterday(i have shot it before..maybe 50 rounds a month ago..no ftf or fte)
    yesterday,i fire first round,gun jams,clear it,2nd round freezes the action half open?
    i got an icepick and pulled the ejector back,slid the round back into the chamber,tapped out the take down lever,dissassembled and inspected.
    the little link thing under the barrel was very,very stiff to move.under further inspection i notice the lug that holds the link is deformed.
    is this common?
    is it feasible for me to file the deformity off ..thought i would drive out the link pin,dremel or file the lug smooth and reinstall link.
    is this safe?
    should i just buy a new barrel with the link for safety's sake.
    i like the firearm,very 1911ish,or just toss it?
    thanks for any advice!

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Ok though I have not owned a Tokarev pistol I do own 1911 and a Belgian Police High Power pistol. The link you are describing should be hard. 213 btw is a Chinese arsenal code. The link being deformed IS a problem and is it safe, NO it is not in my opinion. If you were to reshape it the probablity of it deforming again is almost certain. I'm worried it might snap or shear off then the slide might come flying back at your face.

You might want to find a replacement from Numerich Arms - Gunparts Corp. I would also contact SARCO as they often have odd stuff like this. One possible option might be to reshape it and then do a case hardening on it. If you get it case hardened well it should stand up to the forces on the outside but still be unbrittle due to the not hard insides. One other option would be to copy it in O-1 tool steel and the oil quench harden it and then draw it back to relieve brittleness. You might be able to find a good gun smith that can do this for you.

What ammo are you using? Std ball is what I'd use (no +P or +P+). If the link doesn't look too bad I'd file the deformation off and try it to see how it holds up, making sure to check it for more damage.

BTW Could the damage be a result of the last time you took it apart and maybe forced something to get it back together instead of damaging it this time shooting? Sort of odd how it stopped working from your first shot this session while being 100% last time...

At worse buying a new link is probably best in the long run (no need to buy a barrel).

Delivering supplies to the Alamo for round two.
    i was looking for a 9mm as my beretta 92 was stolen
    If you're looking for a dependable 9mm i would suggest a Browning High Power or one of it's clones. I have a hungarian one that's flawless. Torture tested it with 1500 rounds in one shoot without cleaning and it ran perfect. I also had a Browning manufactured one equally as good years ago until i almost blew it up in my hand with a good round fired after an underloaded bad round stuck in the very end of the barrel(god that concussion hurt).

It's feels 1911ish in your hand too. Get a pachmayer wrap around grip unless you have small hands though. The webbing between your thumb and first finger will thank you.
    i like the firearm,very 1911ish,or just toss it?
    Absolutely NOT. It's a chicom pistol, it just has a few kinks to work out.

Quote Originally Posted by stinker View Post
    If you're looking for a dependable 9mm i would suggest a Browning High Power or one of it's clones. I have a hungarian one that's flawless. Torture tested it with 1500 rounds in one shoot without cleaning and it ran perfect. I also had a Browning manufactured one equally as good years ago until i almost blew it up in my hand with a good round fired after an underloaded bad round stuck in the very end of the barrel(god that concussion hurt).

It's feels 1911ish in your hand too. Get a pachmayer wrap around grip unless you have small hands though. The webbing between your thumb and first finger will thank you.

Absolutely NOT. It's a chicom pistol, it just has a few kinks to work out.
    thanks for everyones input..i appreciate it..i think the thing is gonna go in the river..i tried filing the link thing..to no avail....first roung keeps jamming action open,cant budge the slide....the hell with it..lol...a slingshot would be more reliable..lol...i wish it worked but i either fix it myself or toss it..i can fix most things..this pisses me off..i am not going to buy a 40.00 barrel for a 100.00 gun...good money after bad..lol..i will just get a taurus or some other..my days messing with chicom junk is over.
    either way..thanks for the advice!

Senior Member sniper_n_training's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dishman View Post
    thanks for everyones input..i appreciate it..i think the thing is gonna go in the river..i tried filing the link thing..to no avail....first roung keeps jamming action open,cant budge the slide....the hell with it..lol...a slingshot would be more reliable..lol...i wish it worked but i either fix it myself or toss it..i can fix most things..this pisses me off..i am not going to buy a 40.00 barrel for a 100.00 gun...good money after bad..lol..i will just get a taurus or some other..my days messing with chicom junk is over.
    either way..thanks for the advice!
    If you want to sell the thing, send me a price. I want first dibs on the thing before it goes into a river hahah. Send me a PM with info. Im sure we can work something out?

Quote Originally Posted by sniper_n_training View Post
    If you want to sell the thing, send me a price. I want first dibs on the thing before it goes into a river hahah. Send me a PM with info. Im sure we can work something out?
    lol...you got it,but i dont give up that easy..
    to update,after filing link,which didnt work,i purchased a new barrel and link from numrich(50.00) thouroughly cleaned gun,assembled..went out back and first shot goes off and slide jams half open...same as before...arggggghh...i tap it back into battery(with an axe head),cock hammer,eject spent shell no problem..so here i sit..totally at a loss?
    the only other thing i can think of is a weak recoil spring?or is the frame just shot out and i am pissing in the wind,good money after bad.
    at a loss and pissed,any help would be seriously appreciated!!!

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Another suggestion for a steel 9mm is a CZ-75. Their slim, heavy, and slender. To me, its the best aspects of a 1911, a hi-power, and a Berreta 92 rolled into one, slim package. Just my 2 cent.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"