Thread: 4X tactical scope

4X tactical scope

I went shooting with my son last weekend. He had an AR that a friend loaned him. After plinking at various ranges, it seemed my old eyes could use a little help. Since my flat top upper is supposed to be delivered tomorrow, I was wondering if anyone knew of a decent quality 4 x tactical scope at a reasonable price. After searching the net, I have found examples ranging from $150 to $1500! Thanks for your comments!

ADMIN | LOGIC POLICE RJ Shooter's Avatar

When I build a mid-length soon, I'm topping it off with a Millet DMS-1... It's a 4X scope, that can be dialed back to a 1X red-dot!

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm...sourcegoogleps

The Guns Network | Often Imitated - Never Duplicated!
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Burris makes a similar scope as does Leatherwood.

My S&WM&P 15 sports a Ta01 Acog. Its a great scope and has 4 power but its a fixed power. The price is high but thats expected of Trijicon. I got mine for $800.00 a few years back. If I were to do it over I'd look at the Millet like RJ said. I'd also take a look at IOR Valdada, or Nightforce if cash isnt an issue. And take a look at low profile QD mounts to attach it to. The QD helps when you want to do some iron sight work or if you want to swap for a different optic. A.R.M.S and La Rue make good products, again if money isnt an issue. Here's some pics for comparison, Both ARMS and La Rue QD mounts. Good luck and hope you find something that suits you.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks all for the suggestions. I am married, so money is always an object! I like the idea of the Millett. I searched the net and read both good and bad reviews of it though.

Quote Originally Posted by Viking350 View Post
    Thanks all for the suggestions. I am married, so money is always an object! I like the idea of the Millett. I searched the net and read both good and bad reviews of it though.

I have the Millet and the Meopta Meostar, I like the Meopta much better.
    Because you suck. And I hate you.

Proud member of GeorgiaCarry.org, Ohio CCW, and the Second Amendment Foundation. Ex-NRA member.

"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression." - Thomas Paine

Brutus was a prophet.

Quote Originally Posted by Lysander View Post
    I have the Millet and the Meopta Meostar, I like the Meopta much better.
    ...and there is an $800 difference between the two! LOL
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I just ordered this combo from SWFA.

http://swfa.com/Millett-1-4x24-DMS-B...bo-P42148.aspx

Good price! And the Millet seems like the newer model (zoom knob is knurled), so it won't have many of the negative issues you might have read about...

Get a pic when you're setup is complete. We'd love to see it!
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by RJ Shooter View Post
    Good price! And the Millet seems like the newer model (zoom knob is knurled), so it won't have many of the negative issues you might have read about...

Get a pic when you're setup is complete. We'd love to see it!
    I will. My upper just arrived and I may have a slight problem. I forgot that despite it being a flat top, there is a front sight. I think that will be in the scopes sight picture. Any ideas?

Actually, the FSB will most likely only be in the lower half of the scope's view. And since the focal point at 3-4X will be beyond that plane, you will probably not even see the front sight base. And only a slight blur, if you do see it.

At 1X however, it will be in view. But it is in view of any 1X red dot that has a FSB. Aimpoints and EOTechs will have it in view, but since you should be focusing on the target binocularly (both eyes open), it will not matter. The dot (ring) will be superimposed on the target when both eyes are focusing on the target.

You will see that it is not going to be a bid deal at all...

My 3X magnifier has the front sight base (FSB) in it's focal plane, but it focuses past it...

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Actually, the FSB will most likely only be in the lower half of the scope's view. And since the focal point at 3-4X will be beyond that plane, you will probably not even see the front sight base. And only a slight blur, if you do see it.

At 1X however, it will be in view. But it is in view of any 1X red dot that has a FSB. Aimpoints and EOTechs will have it in view, but since you should be focusing on the target binocularly (both eyes open), it will not matter. The dot (ring) will be superimposed on the target when both eyes are focusing on the target.

You will see that it is not going to be a bid deal at all...

My 3X magnifier has the front sight base (FSB) in it's focal plane, but it focuses past it...

Thanks for the info RJ. I'm an AR noob. I'll let ya know how it all turns out (with pics) when the scope arrives.

...and there is an $800 difference between the two! LOL
    With optics you get what you pay for. The lowlight performance and overall clarity of the Meostar are light-years above and beyond the Millet. So much so that the Millet has been relegated to "loaner" status for friends.
    Because you suck. And I hate you.

Proud member of GeorgiaCarry.org, Ohio CCW, and the Second Amendment Foundation. Ex-NRA member.

"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression." - Thomas Paine

Brutus was a prophet.