Thread: Stuck safety detent pin

Stuck safety detent pin

So I'm doing a function check on the LRB lower receiver I just put together, and low and behold, all of a sudden the safety detent pin isn't moving. Pull of the grip, remove the spring, and I still can't get the safety to turn. I can't even pull it out.

Any ideas on how to fix this?
    Because you suck. And I hate you.

Proud member of GeorgiaCarry.org, Ohio CCW, and the Second Amendment Foundation. Ex-NRA member.

"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression." - Thomas Paine

Brutus was a prophet.

Did you build up the lower? Any chance there are two pins in there?
    Face your fear, accept your war.

I did the assembly myself, and I can promise you that there is only one pin in there. Besides, the other detent pins are much smaller.

Proud member of GeorgiaCarry.org, Ohio CCW, and the Second Amendment Foundation. Ex-NRA member.

"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression." - Thomas Paine

Brutus was a prophet.

Try cycling the bolt manually a few times and let it slam home. If you can get the pin loose, maybe sand it or file it a bit? Thats the only thought I have...

Quote Originally Posted by TEN-32 View Post
    Try cycling the bolt manually a few times and let it slam home. If you can get the pin loose, maybe sand it or file it a bit? Thats the only thought I have...

It's trying to get the pin out that's the problem. The damnable thing won't budge.

Brutus was a prophet.

Thats odd. The safety detent pin should be pointed. The rear takedown pin detent is rounded. Maybe you reversed them when building?

dont force it hold it up side down spray some CLP up there and hit it with the air chuck then tap the lower lightly ..it should fall out .

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by abpt1 View Post
    dont force it hold it up side down spray some CLP up there and hit it with the air chuck then tap the lower lightly ..it should fall out .
    +1

there shouldnt be any way you could have put the wrong pin in there, they just wont fit. teh rear takedown detent would fall right out of that hole with zero effort.

CLP + Rubber mallet got it out. Reinstalled it all and it functions fine now.

Brutus was a prophet.

Something wasn't aligned.

Quote Originally Posted by Lysander View Post
    CLP + Rubber mallet got it out. Reinstalled it all and it functions fine now.
    It functions fine now, for now. Something is wrong. I would not re-use it. I keep plastic stemmed q-tips in my cleaning kit, and used a pair of wire cutters to cut the stems to lenth and replaced the takedown pin detents in my lowers. One day, I will get some cheap drill bits and use them instead, but I have had it with those springs going airborne. You could do the same with your saftey detend untill you get another.
    "if you jokers can't handle Bluedog's comments you are nothing but a bunch of woosies. There's a real simple way of solving your frustration. There is a place for you to click on called "Log Out" in the upper right portion of your monitor screen while you are at this website. Just click on that and don't ever log back in here and your problems are solved." --Pogo

Same thought occurred to me Blue, so I ordered another pin & spring (plus a spare bolt, FP, and some other stuff) this morning.

Brutus was a prophet.

Mine did the same thing.
    I built my CMMG lower using CMMG parts kit. The slot where the detent rides in between the 2 divets on the lever had to be deepened ever so slightly.
    I don't know if there was a screw up making it or if this is normal with CMMG's parts.
    There's no problem an AK can't solve...........

GUNSNET Member Since 2003
    CCW Permit
    03 FFL

Slamfire, that must be an odd ball detent channel. CMMG's lowers are intended to be completely mil spec. with proper dimensions.
    P=Plenty

It should have been, but it refused to move off fire. I double checked my assembly job, and everything was correct.
    There's no problem an AK can't solve...........

GUNSNET Member Since 2003
    CCW Permit
    03 FFL

Coukl there be a burr inside the detent hole?
    CMMG has very good CS. I wouldn't hesitate to give them a call.
    Independent Field tester/Research and Developement

"Better to die for something than live for nothing"
    MOLON LABE