Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for a decent .45 on a budget

You gotta love the RIA.
    I'm on my second (having given the first one to my brother who loved it)

Great price and a perfect point and shoot gun (hits what you aim at).
    You just may need to change the grips, alot of people don't like the thick grips that come with them.

I took mine and swapped out a couple parts to give it a WWII look.

I love mine and will +5 the RIA.

If anything its a perfect base gun.

BISHOP

The Remington R1 is a good 1911 for the price if you're in the price range of a Taurus and want a US made 1911. Accurate out of the box, and it has big 3 dot sights that are easy to acquire. It's the only standard grip safety 1911 I've fired that didn't draw blood. Can't be beat for the price.
    How do you compromise with someone when their idea of compromise is to give them what THEY want?

Thunder River Home

NRA Lifer since Apr 2009

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Quote Originally Posted by NAPOTS View Post
    +1 on the Wilson mags
    +2.

Way back in the day I got a springfield bare bones 1911 for under 400 new. That was probably 7 or more years ago thogh. I should have bought more than one for the price I got it for.
    Doobie Doobie Doo..

Some years ago I bought a Norinco 1911.
    One of the best 1911 I ever owned.
    Totally mil-spec. forged frame and slide, very accurate and with a very, very fine trigger pull: not overly light, but very smooth.
    Finish was haphazard in general, but very good in the working points. A good armorer could have refinished it for a nicer look, if one is interested in a nice looking gun.
    I just changed the grip panels, and that was all.
    If I'm not mistaken, Wilson used them for a long time as a base for his custom guns.
    ====
    TEMET
    NOSCE
    ====

In war you play to win 100-0, not 51-49!

"Those who have forged their swords into ploughs, will plough for those who haven't."

IMBEL makes the "Springfield" .45's and they are forged, not cast. If you want a single stack 1911, that is what I would get.
    Plus 200 posts or so as IZZY from MN.

In the last 3 months I've found 2 witness 45's (one compact polymer frame, one all steel full size) under $400 asking price ($375 and $350). The mags are somewhat expensive but I hear they are sweet shooters (I own a witness in 9mm).

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    I have a XD-45 Tactical bitone (stainless slide) and love it. I don't know what kind of guns you like to shoot, but $600 isn't really budget. You can find a good springfield XD-45 for around $500 all day. Thats my two cents.
    THIS

Unless you wanna 1911, then check out Taurus' PT-1911.
    "Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."
    -Nietzsche

"Accept the challenges, so that you may feel the exhilaration of victory."
    -George S. Patton

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Just looking for opinions here, im looking to get a decent .45 for 600.00 tops (less is always better). Own a glock19 and doubt ill buy another one, nothing major but I have had some small issues with it that have me questioning its reliability. Looking for something reasonably concealable, maybe a springfield. Has here anyone had a great run with one of the "budget" handguns?
    I have a Springfield "GI-45" and it works flawlessly. I replaced a few parts to make it look like a 1911 instead of a 1911A1, but it worked just fine before the mods too.
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12