Thread: The WI concealed carry law will be signed tomorrow

The WI concealed carry law will be signed tomorrow

Here is a good overview of the law:
    http://www.nraila.org/pdfs/PPA%20Sum...20Governor.pdf

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    It is a long time between now and when it takes effect. I'm not saying I don't trust Walker but his support is less than enthusiastic and there is no reason it couldn't have been signed a week ago and put into effect immediately.

Training requirements, $50 fee and watch them try to sneak in more restrictions before November. They were crying on PBR this morning that there would be a miniscule drop in violent crime against people but property crimes would go way up as criminals changed focus. That was from a supporter of the law. Then there was the usual 33 year cop who had thousands of instances where the bad guys took the gun away from the gun owner because he hesitated to long and the bad guy used it against the citizen. He didn't mention any examples though. One poor old 57 year old woman is going to be afraid to leave the house now with all of those armed people out there endangering her security. Boo hoo.

I'm hoping but I gotta see it in action before I believe it. I have been waiting way to long for this to be jumping for joy till I see a permit in my hands. It would have been better without the need for a permit but I guess baby steps. It's amazing we got this far.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

They shoulda went for Constitutional carry like they were going to...They got f'ed over a couple times with Doyle and the crony Dems.
    All in all it's not a bad law IMO. The time between enactment and signing is to get up to speed with the application process.
    Last edited by 1 Patriot-of-many; 07-08-2011 at 04:46 AM.

We didn't get constitutional carry because some Republicans folded in order to get Democratic support and because Governor Walker did not want Constitutional carry. He is completely luke warm on the subject at all and the only reason he is supporting it in any way is because it garnered him a number of votes. If it was up to him we would have stayed status quo as we had been.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

Grump,
    You such a ray of sunshine....

Don't forget we had Tommy Thompson from 87 to 01 and Scott McCallum for 2 years after that and no gun carry bills passed, Zip, Nada, Zilch. Call me jaded but until it's in my sweaty little hand I don't believe a damn thing that comes out of Madison. They worked very hard to make me this way and it worked.

We had a chance under Doyle but the sponsor of the bill was persuaded to change his vote and not overthrow a veto against his own bill. Old dinosaurs remember crap like that and after 30+ years of being a voter in this state you tend to get jaundiced. (10 years as a voter in Illinois and that was frustrating too.)
    Actively Fighting Against Constitutional Carry Representative Jeff Fitzgerald (R-39)
    608-266-2540
    Rep.Fitzgerald@legis.wisconsin.gov
    Representative Jeff Mursau (R-36)
    (608) 266-3780
    Rep.Mursau@legis.wisconsin.gov
    Governor Walker issued a statement to the press and a letter to the delegates at the conference at Wausau stating:
    "Any Bill that reaches His desk should include a permit and training." In other words if you want me to sign it you better give me a watered down version to keep the Democrats and us professional Neo Cons happy.

That is why I am waiting for the other shoe to drop, this isn't over yet.

Last edited by old Grump; 07-08-2011 at 08:42 AM.

THUCYDIDES.

WISCONSIN GUN OWNERS
    News for Gun Rights Activists

URGENT ALERT:

Dear Friend:
    As you now know, On Friday July 8, 2011, Wisconsin joined the ranks of the other 48 concealed carry states.
    That's the good news. The bad news is, the strings attached to this new law are too serious to ignore.
    But I wanted to wait a couple days before sending you this note - just long enough to allow the compromisers to show their true colors.

And to tell you that before you go out and pop the cork on that expensive bottle of champagne, I'm crashing the party by letting you know the truth: The law that was rammed through by the institutional gun lobby is fraught with problems. Big problems.

And to let you know we're not buying the empty promises by republicans that they have any intention of removing the anti-gun restrictions they themselves injected into it ... or to continue fighting for Constitutional Carry.

I hope they prove me wrong.
    But I'm not holding my breath. In fact, I expect nothing but more excuses and lies.
    For starters, anti-gun police bureaucrats have much reason to celebrate the passage of this law. That's because it creates a statewide registration list of those who apply for a license to carry a handgun.
    That list is maintained by the Department of Justice (DOJ)- an agency that exists to investigate and prosecute criminals.

But the real question isn't whether creating a government watch list of gun owners is a bad idea. It's always a bad idea.

Gun owner registration always leads to gun confiscation and abuses of power.

Do you support gun owner registration?
    This expanded role for the Department of Justice is an expansion of government.

Do you support bigger government?
    The law imposes an additional background check fee - a new gun tax.

Do you support more taxes?
    The bill requires you to undergo yet another offensive guilty-until-proven innocent background check.
    Do you relish being treated like a criminal, constantly needing to prove your innocence?

Didn't you pass a background check when you bought your handgun?

The bill also retains the ominous 1,000-foot "Gun Free School Zone" penalties.

Will you unintentionally wander into one of these zones and find yourself prosecuted as a felon, to lose your guns forever?

It's not my job to dissuade you from getting a permit. In fact, the manner in which you choose to arm yourself is your business and your decision alone.

But I do believe there's an obligation to make sure you have all the facts - information NOT being conveyed by the establishment gun lobby.

The most important question is, can we continue the fight to pass Constitutional Carry in Wisconsin?
    Can passage of permit-to-carry be the momentum needed to move Wisconsin to Constitutional Carry?
    I say we can. But I need to know if you agree ... and if you'll join me in that fight.

I'm already hearing all the compromisers in Madison tell us to shut up and "go away, we just gave you your carry bill" just as we predicted they would.

Sadly, many will listen to them.
    But not you. And not me. And not thousands of activists all across Wisconsin who are angry the big-government neoconservatives of the republican party threw in the towel before the anti-gunners even lifted a finger.

Make no mistake: The anti-gunners never had a chance to oppose Constitutional Carry ... because the anti-gun republicans did all their work for them.

Constitutional Concealed Carry was killed by state republicans ... not by anti-gunners.
    So I want to challenge you to join with us to demand state legislators keep their promise and keep moving toward Constitutional Carry.

I truly believe we will succeed in moving from a permit-to-carry system in Wisconsin to a system dictated by principles of freedom.

Corey Graff
    Executive Director

-----------------

E-mail alert I just received from WGO, not the first and it won't be the last. The bill is signed but with enough poison pills attached to make it odious to most reasonable people. This is why I am pessimistic, there is a lot of house cleaning to be done and with a bill passed and signed a lot of people have stopped looking and stopped paying attention.

The other shoe is being dropped. DOJ in Wisconsin has been forced to back down on egregious arrests when open carriers have been detained and their weapons confiscated because of a few ignorant officers aided and abetted by openly anti-gun Mayors and Police Chiefs.
    Now I have to pay $50 and register myself and the gun I want to carry in a state that up till now has never had gun registration?

They aren't afraid of guns just of the people who have them and this is the first step in a rabidly anti-gun for self defense purposes state to make sure I am controlled by being on that list. Gun registration has worked out so well historically for everybody that has ever willingly played by the rules only later to find their particular gun outlawed by an act of some legislative body and you have no recourse but to turn it in or be a criminal.

Last edited by old Grump; 07-11-2011 at 11:48 AM.

THUCYDIDES.