Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Home defense weapon for elderly woman

Quote Originally Posted by hogmister View Post
    how about a compromise. i think marlin makes the .410/.45LC lever action!? easy to handle, light, minimal recoil. thoughts?
    It's basically a 45-70 sized lever action, I really don't consider it all that light or small (atleast the version I handled last Thursday at a local shop).

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Viking350, it's not a matter of accuracy with a sxs or a pump. it's ease of operation. no pump but still two rounds at the ready. you could even go with a .410. try shooting the 20ga with the 7 1/2 shot at a milk jug full of water at about 7ft. i think you'll be impressed. yeah it's a shotgun, but don't forget to aim. the shot column is still close to bore size at that range. don't forget the safety glasses!
    Never use birdshot on a person, no penetraition. Always stick with some form of Buckshot, #4's I think are optimal for in the home. They offer more pellets but are still .24 cal in size. Consider 27 #4 buck pellets in a 2 3/4 inch shell vs. but 9 for 00 buck.

i have seen the #6 birdshot fired into ballistic gelatin at 7ft. it really seemed to tear it to shreds. maybe more research is needed? my HD 12ga has a #6 in front of the mag backed by four 00 and five slugs in the saddle. just in case.

Viking350, it's not a matter of accuracy with a sxs or a pump. it's ease of operation. no pump but still two rounds at the ready. you could even go with a .410. try shooting the 20ga with the 7 1/2 shot at a milk jug full of water at about 7ft. i think you'll be impressed. yeah it's a shotgun, but don't forget to aim. the shot column is still close to bore size at that range. don't forget the safety glasses!
    Ease of operation is a factor, but accuracy is paramount. It doesn't matter how easy you can shoot the gun if you can't hit the bad guy. I am a fan of the 20 ga for personal home defense for myself, tho not with birdshot. Like I said in my post, she wasn't able to hit a 5 gal bucket from about 30 feet. I don't expect that performance to be enhanced by a sxs.

Quote Originally Posted by BISHOP View Post
    Basically what hogmister said but I say get away from the shotgun.
    She may not ever use a weapon if she doesn't like it, worrys about the damage to her house it may do, or is scared of it.
    Get her a pistol, something that is easy to use (load, cock) and doesn't scare or deafen her when used.

I say something like the Beretta Tomcat.

You can get them in .22 and .32.
    Its a DA/SA.
    Loading is very easy for elderly. YOU can load the mag for her. Keep it in the gun.
    The barrel tips up so she can leave it up and empty and if the gun is ever needed all she needs to do is load the barrel, shut the barrel, and pull the trigger.
    It holds 7rds and for a little while Beretta was selling them with the Chrimson Trace grips.

BISHOP
    Interesting suggestion Bishop, thank you. I think something like this with the laser would be my third choice. I agree with Funk that a revolver is preferable to an automatic. I do like the laser as it is point and shoot. All good points to consider.

Quote Originally Posted by Partisan1983 View Post
    I don't know much when it comes to shotguns, but how come no one ever mentions the 28ga ?

It's always either the 20 or the .410 ?
    Can you even get shells for a 28 ga? It is like the 16 ga.

Quote Originally Posted by Crash View Post
    +1
    It's as simple as it gets and can be stored long term and function when it's needed. I find most women store it someplace but seem to forget about until years later. A revolver can be left loaded and you don't have to be concerned with a mag losing tension or if there is a round in the chamber. I've even known some women that didn't have the strength to jack the slide or couldn't grasp the smaller cartridges because of arthritis and stuff. Just a few things to consider with an elderly woman.
    I agree. I have pretty much ruled out an auto pistol (kind of strange that I suggested a carbine then, huh). Maybe a 357/38 with laser grips.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

i have seen the #6 birdshot fired into ballistic gelatin at 7ft. it really seemed to tear it to shreds. maybe more research is needed? my HD 12ga has a #6 in front of the mag backed by four 00 and five slugs in the saddle. just in case.
    Try this web site, the Box O Truth. http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot3.htm

Team GunsNet Bronze 02/2014

Very interested in this thread! My mother is about to be 79...she hates recoil and isn't willing to learn firearm etiquette. If money isn't an problem might want to consider the circuit judge .410 revolver carachteristics with enough heft to hold and not feel! Other than that...a S&W 317 22LR? No recoil..not much punch but better than nothing. The keltec carbines in 9 or 40 sound great if she'll get use to them. Good Luck and Please keep us posted!

I would bet most 70 yr old women would have a tough time pulling back a Keltec carbine's bolt. One thing that might work well for an older lady is one of those new revolver 410 shotgun/rifles based off the judge. I doubt my wife would like to shoot a judge revolver but a long gun might just be the ticket.

Delivering supplies to the Alamo for round two.
    like Stinker said... keep it simple. maybe a side-by-side 20ga with 18-20" barrels?
    Why did i just get an image flash of granny from the beverly hillbillies?

I agree. I have pretty much ruled out an auto pistol (kind of strange that I suggested a carbine then, huh). Maybe a 357/38 with laser grips.
    I have another novel suggestion. Back to keeping it simple. Take her shopping at a gun store and let her pick out one that she's comfortable with and lend your expertise to helping her do it. That way you're gonna get one that she's comfortable with for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by O.S.O.K. View Post
    I have a fair amount of experience with elderly ladies - That is, I've known several (oh Lord) - OK let me try this again, I've been acquainted with several - there, that's what I mean to say

The thing is, you want something that can be manipulated with "gross motor skills" as the fine motor skills deteriorate with age.

Something that requires virtually no strength to operatate. Something very light with no recoil and is easty to "point shoot" with as the eyesight sucks too.

You need to think of the reality of the situation for the operator.

There is no other firearm that I can think of that qualifies under these criteria better than the Henry .22 levergun.

I recommend that over a say a 10-22 because they can jam. And that presents a problem. The Henry doesn't tend to jam and if it does, you just cycle it again and go on. Much less possibility of problems.
    Hmm I would say a Semi Auto Armscor m20 with the 25 round mags. that's 1000 grains of lead...40gr at a time.
    Plus 200 posts or so as IZZY from MN.

Quote Originally Posted by mushroom View Post
    Very interested in this thread! My mother is about to be 79...she hates recoil and isn't willing to learn firearm etiquette. If money isn't an problem might want to consider the circuit judge .410 revolver carachteristics with enough heft to hold and not feel! Other than that...a S&W 317 22LR? No recoil..not much punch but better than nothing. The keltec carbines in 9 or 40 sound great if she'll get use to them. Good Luck and Please keep us posted!
    I've never shot the judge. What is the recoil like? How about the weight?
    Last edited by Viking350; 07-10-2011 at 02:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mriddick View Post
    I would bet most 70 yr old women would have a tough time pulling back a Keltec carbine's bolt. One thing that might work well for an older lady is one of those new revolver 410 shotgun/rifles based off the judge. I doubt my wife would like to shoot a judge revolver but a long gun might just be the ticket.
    Yeah, I'm kind of going away from the carbine. It helps to get all your opinions and roll them around in my empty head. What shotgun revolvers are you talking about? I haven't seen one yet.

Quote Originally Posted by stinker View Post
    Why did i just get an image flash of granny from the beverly hillbillies?

I have another novel suggestion. Back to keeping it simple. Take her shopping at a gun store and let her pick out one that she's comfortable with and lend your expertise to helping her do it. That way you're gonna get one that she's comfortable with for sure.
    Good suggestion stinky. I have one more thing I am going to try first.

I think I have come full circle with a bit of a twist. The recoil and the operation of the 20 ga was not the problem. She could handle both of those issues fairly well. Accuracy was the issue. I got an inexpensive laser to put on her mossy. I'll try that first and see if that helps her accuracy. If it doesn't, or if she isn't comfortable with the shotgun, I think we will go shopping!

Quote Originally Posted by Viking350 View Post
    I think I have come full circle with a bit of a twist. The recoil and the operation of the 20 ga was not the problem. She could handle both of those issues fairly well. Accuracy was the issue. I got an inexpensive laser to put on her mossy. I'll try that first and see if that helps her accuracy. If it doesn't, or if she isn't comfortable with the shotgun, I think we will go shopping!
    An inexpensive laser might not handle the recoil as well as she does. another tip before i mind my own business... maybe try moving her up a bit closer to the target for the first couple of shots. boost her confidence a bit! good luck. hope it works out for you both!

Team GunsNet Bronze 02/2014

The standard Taurus Judge in 410 has about the recoil of a good 38/357. But the weight is heavy for an elderly woman... Rossi makes the Circuit Judge... It is a Taurus Judge with a long barrel and shoulder stock Carbine length so it's easier to hold and shoot w/o feeling recoil... Taurus bought Rossi a few years ago. So they share there designs now. That's why it's a Rossi and not a Taurus.I don't know how to attach a pic. Hopefully someone can help. But they should be listed on the Rossi websight.

Id say either a revolver or a pocket .380 of some flavour.

Quote Originally Posted by mushroom View Post
    The standard Taurus Judge in 410 has about the recoil of a good 38/357. But the weight is heavy for an elderly woman... Rossi makes the Circuit Judge... It is a Taurus Judge with a long barrel and shoulder stock Carbine length so it's easier to hold and shoot w/o feeling recoil... Taurus bought Rossi a few years ago. So they share there designs now. That's why it's a Rossi and not a Taurus.I don't know how to attach a pic. Hopefully someone can help. But they should be listed on the Rossi websight.
    Here is the Rossi website. Interesting gun. They even have a 28 ga version.

http://www.rossiusa.com/product-list.cfm?category=15
    Last edited by Viking350; 07-10-2011 at 03:00 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast