Thread: Shooting the .455 Webley

Shooting the .455 Webley

About one year ago I bought an old civilian Webley & Scott .455 Webley revolver.
    The fact that I'm writing this post just now says something about shooting the .455: it ain't easy. The cartridge per se is a lot of fun to shoot (more soon), but it's quite difficult to find some. And if you manage it, they are collector's items. So you have to reload them. And to reload them, you need the cases.
    You may make them by cutting 45 Colt cases, turning the rim to make it thin enough to fit into the narrow space between cylinder face and recoil shield, or you may buy them.
    Actually there are only Fiocchi and Hornady that I know of. Fiocchi discontinued the manufacture of the complete cartridge a few years ago. Now they only make the cases, and only when they have enough orders to start a production run.
    So, unless you get lucky and find some already for sale, you'll have to wait or you'll have to pool some orders together to speed up things.
    I managed to find some Fiocchi cases in the USA and have them sent back here in Italy where they were made... And finally managed to find some reloading data for Vihtavuory powders.
    I found a maximum load of 4.0 grains of N320 for a 230 grains bullet and 3.7 for a 260 grains bullet. I had 250 grains bullet so I sticked to the 3.7 maximum load.
    My first and foremost worry was to contain pressures.

WARNING

A lot of people believe they can shoot 45 ACP ammo in webley revolvers, and a lot of perfectly fine Webley revolvers (and not a few fingers) have been destroyed in this way.
    The Webley was proofed at six british tons, that is: 13440 psi.
    A 45 ACP cartridge shoots at 19.000 psi and is proofed at 21.000!
    So, each time you shoot a normal 45 ACP round in a webley, is like you are shooting a proof load! The fact that many of these guns go on taking this kind of abuse for thousands and thousands of rounds is a testament to the robustness of this revolver. But it's not a good idea to proof charge a gun every time you pull the trigger.

So, my reload was:

Fiocchi cases (small pistol primers)
    250 grain LFN lead alloy bullets
    3.3 grains of Vihtavuori N320
    CCI Small pistol primers.

OAL 29.7mm (that is 1.169").

Note that the OAL is pretty long. I did this to leave extra room in the short case for the powder chamber, to help further reduce pressure. The size of the powder chamber has a great effect on pressures.
    The bullet was inserted just above the grease band (with the case neck well below the cannelure).

On the range, the gun produced a mild report, a puny recoil (even with such a heavy bullet) and no muzzle blast.
    The bullets grouped well at 10 meters, and did the same at 25.
    At 25 meters it was possible to hear the bullet hitting the target just after the gun shooting.
    The cases were extracted without the least problem, the primer showed no sign of overpressure (but then, while a squashed primer is a sure sign of overpressure, not always overpressure squashes primers, and it's sometimes possible to have dangerous pressures with primers that look just fine).
    The bullets grouped well, but for a flier caused by a low load (it's difficult to throw perfect charges with an automatic powder measure on such small quantities).
    But it was distinctly possible to hear different kinds of "bang", and there was a lot of unburnt powder on the bench, at the end of the shooting session, sure sign that something is not ok with this load.
    The single action was crisp, if heavy. The double action seemed a finger breaker, such was its weight, but it grouped very well all the same. Seems the old brits knew what they were doing when they designed the Webley action. The double action is heavy, surely, but very smooth and constant, and the grip and the trigger seem to form just the perfect geometry for good shootig.
    At ten meters six shot fired in about 4 seconds went all in a group the size of a small saucer.

So:

The 455 has a very mild report and very low recoil: just enough to remind you you are shooting a real gun.
    The gun has a very smooth action that is designed to let you shoot well, even if it's heavy.
    The bullet is SLOW. No point in trying to make it faster: the cartridge was purposedly designed this way, to have a slow bullet. You wanna something faster? Shoot a 45 Colt, a 45 ACP or a 454 Casull. The Webley is slow. Period.
    But it's also very, very accurate and fun to shoot.

I'll try to slightly reduce the OAL to leave less room for the powder, to see if I get rid of the unburnt powder, or I'll try to rise the load a little, perhaps to 3.5, and see how it shoots and if I can get rid of the occasional flyer caused by imperfect combustion.
    This is anyway a good starting load for anybody wanting to try to reload the 455 with Vihtavuori powders.

Hope this helps those wanting to let this old dog bark again, for I had to do quite a lot of research to find the correct data.
    ====
    TEMET
    NOSCE
    ====

In war you play to win 100-0, not 51-49!

"Those who have forged their swords into ploughs, will plough for those who haven't."

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Thumbs up

Thank you for the report. The .455 and the guns that fire it has always held an interest for me, I just have yet to explore that interest. May have to start looking for a Webley sooner rather than later.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

I have a mark 6 in 45acp (converted) I fire alot, I recently gave it my son. Yeah I know about the warnings the 455 shooters like to talk about but if your handloading anyway I don't quite get the big deal. Except of course I'm not having to make cases and I only paid $250 for my noncollectable shooter Regardless they are impressive at the range and always seem to draw alot of onlookers whenever I shot it. As one guy told me, it almost has a prehistoric look to it

Yeah when I gave it to him I warned him about firing higher pressure load in it.

There is no problem at all firing 45 ACP cases into a modified Webley (easier to get the cases, just for starters) as long as you reload them to 455 pressures.
    Unfortunately lots of people (well... "lots" on a "455 shooters" scale ) fire factory ammo as well, that is way, way too hot.
    ====
    TEMET
    NOSCE
    ====

"Those who have forged their swords into ploughs, will plough for those who haven't."

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Whaat? No pics?

I used to have a Webley that was modified to accept 45 ACP. I handloaded the rounds with 250 grain rnfp bullets at modest velocities and it worked pretty well.

But I sold it off several years ago.

They are very cool collectible revolvers to be sure.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by O.S.O.K. View Post
    Whaat? No pics?
    This is my thought as well. I really think those are some of the coolest revolvers made. I would love to get a break action revolver of any sort, and the .455 would be the pinacle.

By the way, I did a quick search and found some .455 Webley at Ammotogo (http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/index....mmo-455-webley). I know you are reloading but thought this would give you some more cases to work with.

No matter what, post some pics!
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

PA, where the cold is only matched by the isolation
    Quote Originally Posted by ltorlo64 View Post
    I would love to get a break action revolver of any sort
    I have half dozen or so that I'll sell you

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/index....mmo-455-webley

I bought a box for my Mark III but have never fired it.

Quote Originally Posted by raxar View Post
    I have half dozen or so that I'll sell you
    I think the problem would be in the transfer as we live on opposite sides of the country. I am probably going to be stationed in DC in about 2 years, so if either of us remember we could probably meet somewhere.

Just out of curiosity, what are they?
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by O.S.O.K. View Post
    Whaat? No pics?

I used to have a Webley that was modified to accept 45 ACP. I handloaded the rounds with 250 grain rnfp bullets at modest velocities and it worked pretty well.

But I sold it off several years ago.

They are very cool collectible revolvers to be sure.
    Sorry, didn't have time yet. Perhaps in the next few days.
    ====
    TEMET
    NOSCE
    ====

Quote Originally Posted by El Laton Caliente View Post
    http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/index....mmo-455-webley

I bought a box for my Mark III but have never fired it.
    Unfortunately Italian laws mandates registration for any ammo purchase, excluding shotgun shells. Buying ammo from outside national boundaries requires a gun trading licence.
    Empty cases are legal, but not cartridges. Anyway, I have all the cases I need, for now.
    I think I'll now experiment making .455 cases from 45 Colt cases.
    ====
    TEMET
    NOSCE
    ====

Just out of curiosity, what are they?
    Garbage

here, take your pick, except the the long barreled one, she's a keeper.

Quote Originally Posted by raxar View Post
    Garbage

here, take your pick, except the the long barreled one, she's a keeper.
    The long barreled one was the one that caught my eye first!

NRA Endowment Member

The long barreled one was the one that caught my eye first!
    the funny thing is it is actually the same gun as the "saturday night special" version except for the barrel and grip. I haven't played with it that much but it's a solid 50 yard pistol.

This is a picture of my son's firearms, the webley mk 6 is in the front left of center.

For comparison sakes his 629 classic is at the right down in front.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mriddick; 07-10-2011 at 08:18 PM.

Here one of the first groups, shot at 25 meters.
    The sixt shot was almost a squib, it barely cleared the barrel and struck the target at the extreme 6.

Last edited by gunslinger; 07-12-2011 at 02:13 PM.
    ====
    TEMET
    NOSCE
    ====

Here a group at 10 meters.
    Last edited by gunslinger; 07-12-2011 at 02:14 PM.
    ====
    TEMET
    NOSCE
    ====

Here some groups at 10 and 25 meters.
    The two groups on the left were shot when I was starting to get tired: it was a very hot day, and moreover my eyesight tires quite quickly when shooting with iron sights.
    So i switched to double action to see how the gun performed. The DA groups were shot at 10 meters.
    I shot them as fast as I could while still taking decent aim, let's say 6 shots in about 4 seconds.
    The top right group is 7 shots: I had one cartridge remaining, and fired it in the last group.

====
    TEMET
    NOSCE
    ====

Here's the gun, on the traditional gun rag

The gun is actually in worst conditions than it appears in the picture.
    It's been surely cleaned with abrasive methods and reblued in the past: the cylinder slots are of a deeper "royal blue" than the rest of the gun, and the punches, which are deep and crisp on the right side of the barrel, just under the small ridge the barrel forms with it hinge, are thin and wane on the left side of the frame: obvious result of some abrasive cleaning. There's some tiny pitting on one side of the cylinder, where it probably touched holster leather.
    All in all, I don't bother about it. I've paid for it about half the price such a piece usually commands on the italian market, and it's in good shooting conditions. The chambers are Ok, the barrel is fine.
    It also gives me an alibi to shoot it. I would have a lot of scruples shooting a vintage piece in perfect conditions. This is an old gun that has seen better times but still has a lot to give, and I like it.

Last edited by gunslinger; 07-12-2011 at 02:32 PM.
    ====
    TEMET
    NOSCE
    ====

Here a cartridge. Notice the 45 Colt bullet and how it protrudes from the case.
    ====
    TEMET
    NOSCE
    ====