Thread: Question for FFLers.

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 NewbieAKguy's Avatar

Question for FFLers.

Might be doing a group buy on stripped AR lowers with some buds, anywhere from 4-6 of them from company I have an account with. Since I'm the one making the purchase from the retailer, hence they'll be under my name, will my local FFL guy have to charge me transfer fee for each lower or is it just one fee because all the lowers will be under my name?

If it matters I'm in crapistan, aka IL. Also, once I take possession of them I'll be "selling" them to my buds after necessary bs waiting period and Bill of Sale form completed.
    "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time; the hand of force may destroy, but cannot disjoin them. ... Can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God? That they are not to be violated but with His wrath? Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just: that his justice cannot sleep for ever."--Thomas Jefferson

Probably depends on the policy of the individual FFL.

It would depend on the dealer, some charge by the transfer, some the firearm, others still a fee based off what the firearm(s) cost. There is no set way to do and each dealer is pretty much free to do as he pleases. I liked to charge per firearm (receiver) since it cut down on exactly what you're planning to do as the BATF would consider that a straw purchase (something you might want to think about in posting this on a public forum).

But these wouldn't be considered straw purchases would they? Being in IL with it's stupid FOID card, I'm good to purchase. Each other person in this group buy also has valid FOID cards (armed security and cop). A bill of sale would be made with all necessary info documented.

EDIT: Reason I'm being the go-to guy is because the retailer already has my FOID info on file. 99% sure none of the other guys have their info on file with them. Also, my FFL left a message with local ATF guy to get some clarification. Just trying to see if there was a certain way to do it in this type of instance.
    Last edited by NewbieAKguy; 07-09-2011 at 07:13 PM.
    "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time; the hand of force may destroy, but cannot disjoin them. ... Can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God? That they are not to be violated but with His wrath? Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just: that his justice cannot sleep for ever."--Thomas Jefferson

I did not say I would consider a straw purchase but I would bet the BATF would. IMO for it to be a straw purchase the end buyer can not buy the firearm or receiver, however the BATF just considers it type of buy where the end buyer is not filling out a 4473.

Quote Originally Posted by mriddick View Post
    I did not say I would consider a straw purchase but I would bet the BATF would. IMO for it to be a straw purchase the end buyer can not buy the firearm or receiver, however the BATF just considers it type of buy where the end buyer is not filling out a 4473.
    Hmmmm. That just brings up more questions on its own. Just for example, like with the buying craze just before Obama's election; you buy rifle/lower whatever and couple/few days later buddy offers equal or more money than what you paid. At the moment (sarcasm ) a private individual can sell/transfer to another individual as long as both parties are legally able to buy/own. But I digress, we are talking about the Feds, and more ominously the BATF.

Thanks for the insight mriddick. I'll just have to wait and stand by and wait on the atf agent's return call to ffler we'd be going with.....just don't want to miss out on a good deal .

I had my spikes tactical complete lower transferred from the former vice president from spikes tactical Actually and I didn't even get charged for the transfer what so ever. Maybe my local gunshot forgot to charge or else he didn't feel that he needed to charge. Either way it was the best transaction I've ever had. Haha other places i have tried have had up to a 25 dollar charge.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeller View Post
    I had my spikes tactical complete lower transferred from the former vice president from spikes tactical Actually and I didn't even get charged for the transfer what so ever. Maybe my local gunshot forgot to charge or else he didn't feel that he needed to charge. Either way it was the best transaction I've ever had. Haha other places i have tried have had up to a 25 dollar charge.
    How much do you buy from this dealer? I would do transfer for nothing for good customers from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by mriddick View Post
    How much do you buy from this dealer? I would do transfer for nothing for good customers from time to time.
    To tell you the truth it was the first time I had even walked into the place. Its called golden lands tactical adventures. Funny name right? Ha it's now my number one gunshop in st.Louis. Awesome service. They double as a tatoo shop too. I've had a hell of a time looking for a decent gunstore in Missouri.
    By the way I'm getting around to posting pictures of my spikes tactical AR. Excellent looking rifle.