Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: July C&R Postal Match Target

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

July C&R Postal Match Target

I will get this in the mail on Monday. Here is how I did;

I almost didn't get to shoot today. I went to the range and the Safety Officer told me that there was no center fire rifle shooting on the 50 yard line, and they won't let me set up a 50 yard target on the 100 yard line. This is one reason I have been using my M1 Carbine vice my Garand. Every other Safety Officer says that since the Carbine round is equivalent to a .357 in power, they don't have a problem with me being on the 50 yard line, until today. I did talk the Safety Officer into letting fire 15 rounds from the 50 yard line. 5 for warm up and 10 for the match, so it wasn't as bad as it could have been.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Fired mine today as well.

Headed out to the ranch and boy was it hot... Weather bug for where I was said it was 104 with winds 17 gusting to 25.

Set up my target stand moved back to 25 yards and shot the .22 Woodsman again, this time using a 6 O'clock hold. Seems to work better though I did pull one out of scoring due to a wind gust that bounced me pretty good.

Moved back to 50 yards and put up a sighter target and real target and fired the M1 carbine 5 rounds for sight, 10 for record and ended up with this:

Shot just a little high this month.

Retreived targets and posted Bolt targets. Since I ran short of 7.5x55 Swiss for the K31, I had to switch to the 1942 Mosin Nagant 91/30 shooting Yugo ammo. Fired 5 rounds for practice and 10 for score and ended up with this:

Not too bad other than the one called flyer I pulled left.

Overall it wasn't too bad of an outing but I seem to have fallen off a few points from last month everywhere.

I forgot to take an equipment photo this month cause I was trying to get out of the heat... on the drive back home, I noticed the thermometer in the Explorer said 106.

Quote Originally Posted by ltorlo64 View Post
    I will get this in the mail on Monday. Here is how I did;

I almost didn't get to shoot today. I went to the range and the Safety Officer told me that there was no center fire rifle shooting on the 50 yard line, and they won't let me set up a 50 yard target on the 100 yard line. This is one reason I have been using my M1 Carbine vice my Garand. Every other Safety Officer says that since the Carbine round is equivalent to a .357 in power, they don't have a problem with me being on the 50 yard line, until today. I did talk the Safety Officer into letting fire 15 rounds from the 50 yard line. 5 for warm up and 10 for the match, so it wasn't as bad as it could have been.
    Dang... did you hold it one handed and use it as your pistol this month?
    Last edited by Dieselbuilder; 07-10-2011 at 09:46 PM.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

I'm going to try shooting next weekend myself. Just too damn hot an humid here. Good to see participation is on going. All these carbines being mentioned, reminds me I need to rebuild mine one of these days and test fire it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dieselbuilder View Post
    Dang... did you hold it one handed and use it as your pistol this month?
    Nope, just learning to shoot for consistency. I have mostly shot shotguns until recently. I can hit about 75-80% of the clays when shooting trap with my old 870. This shooting at something I can barely see, and then try to hit the same spot on that thing I can barely see is challenging. Right now I am pretty happy I just keep everything in the black. Until recently my target shooting with a rifle was to shoot cans or milk jugs filled with water. Not to concerned with groupings when shooting like that. I may try to pistol thing next month though!
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

NRA Endowment Member

I wasn't laughing about your grouping... only your use of your "July Pistol" target that you used to shoot your carbine on.

I wasn't laughing about your grouping... only your use of your "July Pistol" target that you used to shoot your carbine on.
    Wouldn't be a big deal if you were. I laugh at my shooting often enough for all of us. Sheutz almost accused me of attempted murder for making fun of my marksmanship ability!

NRA Endowment Member

That's my fault. He signed up for one event out of the 3 and I sent him a set marked Pistol. Rather than send out a second set of targets I just have him remark it Self Loading Rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    That's my fault. He signed up for one event out of the 3 and I sent him a set marked Pistol. Rather than send out a second set of targets I just have him remark it Self Loading Rifle.
    I remember to do that before I send it, but after I take the picture of it. I need a checklist.

NRA Endowment Member

Shot my bolt gun target this morning. Shot my 16.5" Mosin. I wasn't sure how it would shoot since I had to move the front sight back several inches. It shot a little low so I had to compensate.

Shooting it from a sitting position.
    Used Czech silver tips. 1st box were all duds. Firing pin smashed the piss out of the primers, but no ka-boom.
    I grabbed a box of Yugo brass cased and shot 3 at the ground to make sure it wasn't the gun. All fired.
    Then grabbed another box of silver tips and shot a practice target to get an idea on how to hold. After 15 rds of practice, here's the results.
    Damn it's hot and humid. 85 degrees @ 8AM, humidity 70+%.

There's no problem an AK can't solve...........

GUNSNET Member Since 2003
    CCW Permit
    03 FFL

Lightbulb

I'm surprised you don't use a stock Mosin, for one thing the longer sight radius would help to minimize sight misalignment.

I'm surprised you don't use a stock Mosin, for one thing the longer sight radius would help to minimize sight misalignment.
    I may shoot the full length 91/30 for the next target.

I may also shoot Yugo brass cased ammo next time.
    The silver tips are the nastiest ammo I've ever shot.
    Took forever to clean.

CCW Permit
    03 FFL

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    It was a good day today, got the M1 back with the sights working like they oughta. Put fluorescent red in place of fluorescent green on the front sights so I could see them in the bright sun. Used up the old batch of 1951 147 grain ammo for the M1 last month and switched to the Korean 2003 150 grain ammo and oh what a difference. The last batch of Korean ammo almost made me swear off of it because it was just godawful terrible. This batch has me believing in those little South Koreans again.

Also got my Swiss made 1979 174 grain 7.5X55 via UPS, I was beginning to worry that I wouldn't be able to do the bolt gun. The flyers were all on me, the bolt was beginning to get a little stiff and I was having to work harder to operate it. That problem has been fixed. If I could have held it together it would have been a ace target but it still beat the dickens out of the last two months.

I'm not showing the pistol target for I am ashamed, I have to send it in so I will but Lordy lordy lordy I look like I never touched a handgun before. I borrowed an old 1950's era 38 spcl carried by a preacher buddy's father. Now I know why the preacher never shoots beyond 3 yards with it. He can draw and empty that gun into the target before I can ask how fast are.... but at 25 yards he is all over the place. I had to aim about 3" right and 4" below the bullseye in order to get the rounds inside the scoring rings and even then it was a close call. Man I gotta get my own C&R hand gun.

The gun was a S&W M&P with 5" barrel, fixed sights and I used up the last of my 158 gr LRN ammo in it for this match. I tried other bullet weights in it but they all hot high and I didn't dare try the +P ammo. Sweet trigger and felt good in the hand but not for me unless I could get those sight changed.

My last 3 sighter shots were in the 10 ring with one hanging partway out into the 9 ring. I'm not sure how I pulled them down and right like I did but it still beats what I have been doing. I guess that' what I get for being a smart as and not slinging up.

The new 7.5X55 ammo shot higher than the old ammo and it's a good thing because my adjustment was already as far as it could go.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

My July target is going out in the mail tomorrow.

I had more surgery on the 28th and probably won't shoot August's target until later in the month.

CCW Permit
    03 FFL

Quote Originally Posted by slamfire51 View Post
    My July target is going out in the mail tomorrow.

I had more surgery on the 28th and probably won't shoot August's target until later in the month.
    Ok, I hope the surgery is going well. Did they find more cancer or is this merely a tune up for the prior work?

Ok, I hope the surgery is going well. Did they find more cancer or is this merely a tune up for the prior work?
    Two areas that were there when they did the last procedure. The last operation was pretty major and they said to wait until later to get these. I hope to God this is the last. I hate getting cut on.

CCW Permit
    03 FFL

Quote Originally Posted by slamfire51 View Post
    Two areas that were there when they did the last procedure. The last operation was pretty major and they said to wait until later to get these. I hope to God this is the last. I hate getting cut on.
    Nobody likes getting cut on ... well with the exception of a maschoist possibly. I've had surgeries, but not for what you're going through. It all sucks and it all hurts for a time.

Nobody likes getting cut on ... well with the exception of a maschoist possibly. I've had surgeries, but not for what you're going through. It all sucks and it all hurts for a time.
    The one on the 6th of June was major, and there was pain for several days after the deadening shit wore off. Good meds made it tolerable.

I've not experienced any pain after this last one. I guess cauterizing killed the nerves in the area.

CCW Permit
    03 FFL

Finally got off my duff and mailed my July target.

My computer and work room is 12x20 feet and some how I have lost the envelope my targets were sent by Schuetzenman. Sooooo, maybe no August shooting.

Alien abduction comes to mind.

CCW Permit
    03 FFL

Schuetzenman,
    Is it possible for you to scan a target and email one to me for copying. I need to shoot August's handgun and bolt match.

I tore this room apart, and still cannot find the targets for August anywhere..

CCW Permit
    03 FFL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast