Thread: 10/22 newbie and 22Lr rumors...Help?

10/22 newbie and 22Lr rumors...Help?

I have two main questions fro you folks here and I haven't a clue myself of the answers...
    from my lurking and wandering around here I can across a rumor of sorts about Ruger 10-22 and ammo: are they really picky about ammo and if so what brands/bullet weights have the best success with the 10-22's?

and to my other question: typically speaking what is a typical bullet weight for 22LR? does that matter on the 10-22? and is 1200/1300fps the average speed for a 22Lr bullet?

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    The only ammo my 10/22s had problems with was PMC made in Mexico. That stuff was so wax covered if fouled all my mags, gummed up the works and generally was a pain. And it was in all my semi-auto .22LRs, not just the Rugers.

Otherwise my 10/22s have been very good at not being ammo sensitive from the inexpensive CCI Blazer to the expensive "target grade" stuff.

I shoot alot of the cheap bulk pack Federals and Winchester in mine without a problem. I had mine out with a new Rhineland R22 last Sat and it was 100% with all loads and mags tried.

Rule number one when dealing with rimfires: every rimfire is a law unto itself. What works well in mine may nor work worth a hoot in yours. IOW, go buy a box or two of every brand you can lay your hands on and see what it likes. Once you find what it likes, go stock up on at least that brand and preferably the same lot# as well.

AFA the 10/22s go, including preferred bullet weight, see rule number one.

Most HV ammo is 36-40g but I do not recall what most target ammo runs nor do I know what Stingers run as I've never had the need to use/buy them.
    I aim to misbehave...

Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits. - Mark Twain

I NEED A YUGO GAS TUBE AND LOWER HG FERRULE PLEASE!

"Fair" is a place they give ribbons to pigs

History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon. - Napoleon Bonaparte

C'thulhu '12! Why settle for the lesser evil?

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    My 10/22's don't like truncated noses or waxed bullets, they will tolerate lead bullets but do their best with 38 and 40 gr plated bullets. The newer carbine isn't quite as fussy as my match gun, tighter tolerance of the chamber of the match barrel probably explains that.

Every 22 rifle has it's own secrets likes and dislikes, only the Savage bolt action doesn't care what I stick in it.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

**Team GunsNet SILVER 12/2014** skorpion's Avatar

My 10/22 eats anything I give it like it's candy. I've never tried the waxed-coated stuff, though.
    The pen is mightier than the sword, but only when you're shoving it through your enemy's throat.
    USMC Active Duty, 2004-2008
    Gunsnet Member since January 2003

My 10/22 will shoot anything I put into it.