Thread: HR 5700 - Service Member Second Amendment Protection Act of 2010

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

HR 5700 - Service Member Second Amendment Protection Act of 2010

Moran introduces gun protection act

Kiowa County Signal
    Posted Jul 12, 2010 @ 04:12 PM

Washington — WASHINGTON, D.C. – Congressman Jerry Moran recently introduced legislation, H.R. 5700, to protect the Second Amendment rights of service members and civilians working for the U.S. Department of Defense (DOD). Some U.S. military installations are planning to require the registration of privately owned firearms kept off-base, and are working to prohibit service members from carrying firearms for protection off-base, even if they posses firearm-carrying permits. H.R. 5700 ensures Second Amendment rights are not violated by prohibiting the DOD from requiring registration of or limiting the use of privately owned firearms beyond state and federal law.

“Plans for additional gun control of personal firearms kept off-base, beyond what is already required by state and federal law, will wrongly penalize our service members. This legislation will prevent the violation of Second Amendment rights for those law abiding citizens who work at military installations and who serve our country in the Armed Forces,” said Moran.

Identical legislation has been introduced in the U.S. Senate. This bill is supported by the National Rifle Association.

About H.R. 5700, the Service Member Second Amendment Protection Act of 2010

- H.R. 5700 allows a military or civilian employee of the Department of Defense to lawfully possess, own, carry, or use a privately owned firearm or ammunition in keeping with state and federal laws, without the additional interference of the Department of Defense when those items are not located on property owned and operated by DOD.

- The Department of Defense will continue to regulate military and civilian employee’s possession and use of a firearm while on official business or in uniform.

- Regulations adopted before the enactment of H.R. 5700 that violate Second Amendment rights will be void.

HR 5700 - http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c111:H.R.5700:

http://www.kiowacountysignal.com/top...protection-act

Steve
    After today, it's all historical.

swampdragon
    I hope this bill passes with flying colors.

I'm so glad I'm retired now that I cannot even put it in to words.
    The DoD is slowly but surely losing their damned minds.

I think this will sail right through congress. What is sad is that it needs to be done.
    US Constitution: Article 1 Section 8 Paragraph 4

The Congress shall have Power To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization