Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How about a "FOOD" section?

How about a "FOOD" section?

Well? I'm not talking about survival food or stocking up. I'm talking about regular everyday eating. I know there are some great cooks here from some of the post from the "Old" site. I got some great ideas back then. How about giving us a "FOOD" forum?
    Skäl
    "Where you recognize evil, speak out against it, and give no truces to your enemies." - 'Havamal'.

Not looking good for this as a new forum. Kinda sux. I was looking forward to getting some new recipes and, maybe, sharing a few.
    Skäl
    "Where you recognize evil, speak out against it, and give no truces to your enemies." - 'Havamal'.

Ok, I'll ask for a recipe.
    I want a recipe for battering shrinp.
    I can buy unbreaded shrimp a whole lot cheaper than the ready breaded ones. I love fried shrimp.
    You guys have any?
    There's no problem an AK can't solve...........

GUNSNET Member Since 2003
    CCW Permit
    03 FFL

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Simplicity itself, it's the same as I do for trout, suckers, catfish...

1 cup pancake flour or all purpose flour and 1 cup beer, (brand irrelevant). A little salt 1/2 to 1 tsp will do, I like sea salt. A few shakes or twist of the peppermill with your favorite pepper. 2 dozen shrimp.

The rest you know, deep fat fryer with clean oil at 350 degrees, do a few at a time, skim off the lumps of batter that collect while you are doing each batch

I had a friend in program who didn't dare use alcohol or have it in the house and she used soda water. Don't know how it tasted but she liked it. Since then I have seen soda water suggested as a substitute so it must work.
    Last edited by old Grump; 08-09-2010 at 10:50 PM.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

Good deal, Grump. Pretty much the same I user except I sometimes throw in a little garlic powder.

Anybody have a recipe for a "different than traditional" Potato Salad?
    Skäl

BBQ sauce, Cajun style

From my personal file

COOKED BBQ SAUCE
    Stolen shamelessly from Justin Wilson my all time favorite celebrity cook
    1. 4T olive oil
    2. 2 med. Onion
    3. 2 cloves garlic
    4. ½ C parsley
    5. 1 small cayenne pepper, pickled or fresh or ¾ t Louisiana hot sauce
    6. 1 C sauterne wine
    7. 1 T lemon juice
    8. 2 T Worcestershire (Lea & Perrins)
    9. 1 ½ t salt
    10. 1 sm can tomato sauce
    11. 1 t liquid smoke

Heat olive oil in large sauce pan. Put onions, garlic, parsley, hot pepper in blender, (I just use my chopping block and chefs knife and whack away), blend till finely chopped. Blend with just enough water to make it blend. Pour into sauce pan and cook over low flame for 30 minutes. Add wine, lemon juice, Worcestershire, salt, liquid smoke and tomato sauce. Simmer until onions are done, about 60 minutes. Cover while simmering and add a little water if necessary.

I double or triple the recipe and can the extra because I am the only one in the house who uses it. It lasts but it has never had to last very long. Makes the house smell delicious while cooking.
    Name on the bottle of wine doesn't make a hoot's worth of difference after an hours worth of simmering so don't buy expensive. You will never know the difference unless you have a Chef Ramsey type palate.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

On a hill with the view of the rest of my life.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoff12 View Post
    Anybody have a recipe for a "different than traditional" Potato Salad?
    Warm Potato Salad (Warmer Kartoffelsalat)
    2 1/2 lbs cooked potatoes (cooked in peel 1 hour)
    3 eggs boiled hard
    8 oz. thick sliced bacon
    4 oz dill pickes
    1/2 cup beef or vegetable broth
    2 tbs. vinegar
    1 tbs. parsley or chives
    salt/peper to taste

While potatoes are cooking, cut bacon into 1/4 inch strips and saute until all the drippings are cooked out. Bacon bits should be crispy. Boil the eggs about 8 min., peel and dice. Dice dill pickles. Chop Parsley.

While the potatoes are still warm peel and slice about 1/4 inch thick. Add eggs,pickles,parsley,salt,pepper,and vinegar. Pour hot broth and bacon bits with the drippings over it. Toss well. Taste for salt and pepper. Serve immediately.
    Trying to get on the no fly list, one post at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by old Grump View Post

1 cup pancake flour or all purpose flour and 1 cup beer, (brand irrelevant). A little salt 1/2 to 1 tsp will do, I like sea salt. A few shakes or twist of the peppermill with your favorite pepper. 2 dozen shrimp.

The rest you know, deep fat fryer with clean oil at 350 degrees, do a few at a time, skim off the lumps of batter that collect while you are doing each batch

I had a friend in program who didn't dare use alcohol or have it in the house and she used soda water. Don't know how it tasted but she liked it. Since then I have seen soda water suggested as a substitute so it must work.
    Thanks Grump. I'll try it one night this week and let you know how I like it.
    I've never used flour for fish frying. I use corn meal (Southern type, Martha White, none of that nasty Yankee stuff) with pepper. Deep fried. Mmmmm!!

CCW Permit
    03 FFL

A man's coleslaw

No potato salad in my computer file and I'm not digging in my filing cabinet tonight will look tomorrow. In the mean time how about a pick you up and stand you on your feet coleslaw.

Coleslaw for the strong - the weak should walk, if they eat it the lame will walk.
    This is an old recipe, Great Grandma from North Dakota and Bohemia old. Most people don't know they are eating coleslaw because it's not what they expect. It isn't traditional sweet flavor, and it's not quite as creamy but you are going to love it...or else.

1 head of cabbage (slice thin, 1/4" wide or smaller) discard core.
    1 medium sized onion sliced thin
    1-2 tbl + of kosher or large grain salt (a bit more doesn't hurt)
    1-2 tsp cumin
    1 tsp+ ground pepper corn
    2-3 tbl lemon/lime juice (plenty)
    2 tbs garlic (roughly a few buds chopped fine)
    1/2 cup mayonaise

(add as desired or not) sage, dill, cayenne, tomatos (olives, cucumbers, cooked whole kernel corn will work too)

mix well in a large bowl, add mayo and salt or lemon/lime juice to fit your slaw. This will never be sweet and creamy, instead call it aggressive and tasty.
    Then you hook up the mule and go pull stumps out till you are done making sweet musical tunes, or a long walk with a friend, not a sweetie.

THUCYDIDES.

Quote Originally Posted by btcave View Post
    Warm Potato Salad (Warmer Kartoffelsalat)
    2 1/2 lbs cooked potatoes (cooked in peel 1 hour)
    3 eggs boiled hard
    8 oz. thick sliced bacon
    4 oz dill pickes
    1/2 cup beef or vegetable broth
    2 tbs. vinegar
    1 tbs. parsley or chives
    salt/peper to taste

While potatoes are cooking, cut bacon into 1/4 inch strips and saute until all the drippings are cooked out. Bacon bits should be crispy. Boil the eggs about 8 min., peel and dice. Dice dill pickles. Chop Parsley.

While the potatoes are still warm peel and slice about 1/4 inch thick. Add eggs,pickles,parsley,salt,pepper,and vinegar. Pour hot broth and bacon bits with the drippings over it. Toss well. Taste for salt and pepper. Serve immediately.
    Ok... I gotta try that! Thanks!

See.... this place needs a FOOD SECTION.
    Skäl

On a hill with the view of the rest of my life.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoff12 View Post
    Ok... I gotta try that! Thanks!

See.... this place needs a FOOD SECTION.
    German Recipes are kind of my thing. I got some that take a week to prepare correctly. I have a good Rouladen recipe around here somewhere.
    Trying to get on the no fly list, one post at a time.

Team GunsNet Gold 05/2011

Before 9/11 there was a really kickass site called Persian dot com. Back then it was a site an Iranian grad student made as a school project. It had a Perian/Arabic name section that told you what the first names meant and if their origins were Persian, Arabic or Turkic. It had the Shanamavada and an extensive photo gallery of Persepolis and satellite photos.

The relevant part was it had a large Persian recipe base in it.

Somebody bought it and made it a birthday card site or something like that and mostly nobody wants to hear anything about that part of the world except when Israel melts it because we won't.

A lot of the food was seafood dishes. I was surprised to find shrimp dishes on it because the mullahs probably don't like anyone admitting they eat shellfish.

Just one more cool thing down the shitter.

Team GunsNet Silver 03/2014

I'm in total agreement that we need a food section.

Most people eat to live. We live to eat!!

Quote Originally Posted by old Grump View Post

Forgot to ask, do I need to do anything to the shrimp before battering?

CCW Permit
    03 FFL

Moderator & Team Gunsnet SILVER 01/2011 AKTexas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by slamfire51 View Post
    Forgot to ask, do I need to do anything to the shrimp before battering?
    de-vein them nasty bugs first
    NRA, TSRA, GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA
    BEING THE MODERATOR OF THE ROADHOUSE IS LIKE BEING THE JANITOR OF A PEEP SHOW.

Quote Originally Posted by AKTexas View Post
    de-vein them nasty bugs first
    Already done. Fully cooked too. I just want to eat them with clothes on. LOL

CCW Permit
    03 FFL

Where's "old Grump" when you need him?

CCW Permit
    03 FFL

Already done. Fully cooked too. I just want to eat them with clothes on. LOL
    I see,well I don't do seafood.I can cook it but do not eat it.

Quote Originally Posted by AKTexas View Post
    I see,well I don't do seafood.I can cook it but do not eat it.
    Allergy?

I'm surprised some smart ass didn't say something about eating with clothes on.
    Before someone does feels they must, I don't eat while naked.

CCW Permit
    03 FFL

Allergy?

I'm surprised some smart ass didn't say something about eating with clothes on.
    Before someone does feels they must, I don't eat while naked.
    Na just don't like it...I figured this is not the RH so I did not want to make this thread end up in the dumps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast