Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Restoring my chicken coop (pics)

Restoring my chicken coop (pics)

I decided it was time and since I have a lot of that I took on the way overdue project.

First I needed to find a good place for some barn sash windows. The big box places don't seem to have them like they used to.
    I found this place.
    http://www.oldfashionedwindows.com/c...arn%20sash.htm
    They will make sizes to order and the prices were good and 3 1/2 week time frame should be hearing from them this week. So with that time slot I've started getting it back in shape.
    I was fortunate enough to find the owner of an abandoned farm down the road which had an almost identical coop boarded up for years. With his permission I salvaged five of the clearstory windows. I was hoping the big ones were there but they were long gone.
    He said he was going to tear everything down and build a new house and to help myself. The house was partially burned but while I was there and had my tools handy I grabbed this nice piece of leaded glass which now hangs in my dining room window.

At one time the house was in the family so it's nice to have a little piece of the history.

After I tore out all the bottom windows I was able to find enough pieces for two oddball size openings on the east and west side

As rough as they looked you can see there is still plenty of good wood where I made the cut.
    Here's what they look like installed just put them in today

That's where it sits for now have a little roof work yet to do and a major clean out for everything that has been thrown in there over the years but I'm glad I had something to do I love restoration stuff
    Last edited by Full Otto; 05-25-2021 at 10:46 AM.
    For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe

Looks like a really cool project, Otto.

I'd love to own enough land out in the sticks to do something like that.

Farm fresh eggs are the best too!

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Very nice! Excellent work.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2015 davepool's Avatar

Chicken coop?...I'd say that's more of a chicken Hilton, nice job!

Thumbs up

Kick ass man. I wish I had your talent.
    Here's to pussy and gunpowder. One to live for, the other to die by.....Goddamn though, I do love the smell of 'em both !!!

Nice work ! I've been thinkin' about building a small coop for just a few chickens. I figure it would supply enough eggs for the family and keep the kids busy taking care of them. My wife used to raise goats but i don't think i want to deal with goats and my pit bulls at the same time.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

That's way too nice to put chickens in now. All they'll do is crap all over the place and stink it up.

Thanks guys, I gotta say I like how it's turning out. I'm leaning more toward turning it into a garden shed. Could get an early start on plants with all the light. I do still have some of the bins ( I guess that's what they're called) that the chickens stay in. I gave several to a friend when he tried raising some, but a few for personal use may come in handy in the future.
    I'm very fortunate to be here it was my grandparents place which I bought from my dad. I'm trying hard to hang on to it and hopefully pass it along to my daughter.
    Here's a shot of it from a book that was put out a few years ago the Indiana Historic Sites and Structures Inventory

Last edited by Full Otto; 05-25-2021 at 10:47 AM.

Team GunsNet Silver 12/2012 Warthogg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Partisan1983 View Post
    As do I.

Wart

"In debo pigeon coop, sweatin like a slave!"

Quote Originally Posted by Partisan1983 View Post
    I appreciate the compliments, if I really wanted to test my talent I'd try adding this but it's way easier to fudge the photo.

Quote Originally Posted by 5.56NATO View Post
    "In debo pigeon coop, sweatin like a slave!"
    I had to look that up. I'm not familiar with the movie but it appears I missed a classic.
    It is way too hot today, not sure I'll do much on it
    Last edited by Full Otto; 05-25-2021 at 10:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Full Otto View Post
    I decided it was time and since I have a lot of that I took on the way overdue project.

First I needed to find a good place for some barn sash windows. The big box places don't seem to have them like they used to.
    I found this place.
    http://www.oldfashionedwindows.com/c...arn%20sash.htm
    They will make sizes to order and the prices were good and 3 1/2 week time frame should be hearing from them this week. So with that time slot I've started getting it back in shape.
    I was fortunate enough to find the owner of an abandoned farm down the road which had an almost identical coop boarded up for years. With his permission I salvaged five of the clearstory windows. I was hoping the big ones were there but they were long gone.

He said he was going to tear everything down and build a new house and to help myself. The house was partially burned but while I was there and had my tools handy I grabbed this nice piece of leaded glass which now hangs in my dining room window.

At one time the house was in the family so it's nice to have a little piece of the history.

After I tore out all the bottom windows I was able to find enough pieces for two oddball size openings on the east and west side

As rough as they looked you can see there is still plenty of good wood where I made the cut.
    Here's what they look like installed just put them in today

That's where it sits for now have a little roof work yet to do and a major clean out for everything that has been thrown in there over the years but I'm glad I had something to do I love restoration stuff
    Screw the chickens, I'll rent that place from you! Wait, that came out wrong..........

Very nice resto job Otto!

My parents first place was a converted chicken coop, north of Sacramento.

Quote Originally Posted by chopfather View Post
    Nice work ! I've been thinkin' about building a small coop for just a few chickens. I figure it would supply enough eggs for the family and keep the kids busy taking care of them. My wife used to raise goats but i don't think i want to deal with goats and my pit bulls at the same time.
    I read in Backwoods Companion that if it is small, to build it on skids so you can move it around, giving fresh ground underneath.

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    We lived in a converted chicken coop till I was 8 years old but it sure didn't look like that.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

You guys are starting to give ideas I could use some extra income.
    I just heard from the window guy and he's expecting to ship this week. He asked and I guess he's right that this is technically a "hen house", never knew there was a difference.

Hey Grump get ready for another Retired Iron tractor thread I just took some shots tonight at the fair

good times

Beautiful work there!

I couldn't very well let this thread fade away without showing it with the new windows. Just finished painting them.

They showed up without a scratch, super packing job, arrived fed ex LTL on a semi and I gotta give credit to the driver he got that rig backed down my driveway right to my garage. First to ever attempt it.
    Windows were exactly as I ordered and the only hitch was that they were square and the building had settled a bit so it took a little fudging here and there but they all went in. Really happy with them. Best part is the are US made.

They did suggest an idea which I fully intend to do and that was to enjoy a tall cold one, now that it's done.
    Last edited by Full Otto; 05-25-2021 at 10:49 AM.

Great job!

Rage

Haha wow thats a sweet job man! Gotta say id be more leaning towards it as a garden shed myself, better than lettin chickens muck it up.

Also I really liked the vintage sign idea. Itd be neat to paint a few on there or find a few to hang on it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast