Thread: School Me on Pistons

School Me on Pistons

I've got 2 AR lowers to finish out and have been considering doing one of them as a piston. I've already got 3 direct-impingment guns, plus a 10.5" D.I. SBR. I wasn't looking to go broke on the deal like with LMT or LWRC. Anyone have any experience with the Stag Model 8? It seems to be the most reasonably priced. A conversion kit is a no-go. I could do it, but I want to keep my current rifles the way they are and just finish out my two Stag lowers, which means I need complete uppers.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Lightbulb

Buy a Del-Ton upper less a bolt carrier, then get an Osprey piston system to add to the otherwise conventional upper. https://www.gaspiston.com/cgi-bin/co...action&key=243 Follow Link.

You will need a complete bolt but no bolt carrier, the Osprey comes with the modified type bolt carrier that has an integral pushing surface. I am recommending this based on a friend who is an SOT in North Carolina. He's tried all the piston systems and the Osprey is the one he likes best. He says its, "simple to install and it works".

very interesting,whats the kit cost?

What are your thoughts on this? I understand that the piston AR is supposed to be more reliable than the conventional gas-tube operated AR...

Sure, for SHTF-depend your life on it, I'd like a piston AR too... But, with one caveat... if I can buy a piston upper from a manufacture that makes a complete upper.

Why?

Because, just me personally, if "I" have to be the one to put it together, then I wouldn't risk my life on it. That's why I keep my factory built S&W M&P or DPMS AR as my SHTF rifles... I keep them clean enough to eat off though.

Quote Originally Posted by blobman View Post
    very interesting,whats the kit cost?
    How much effort would it be for you to CLICK THE LINK IN THE POST?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Ducati View Post
    What are your thoughts on this? I understand that the piston AR is supposed to be more reliable than the conventional gas-tube operated AR...

Sure, for SHTF-depend your life on it, I'd like a piston AR too... But, with one caveat... if I can buy a piston upper from a manufacture that makes a complete upper.

Why?

Because, just me personally, if "I" have to be the one to put it together, then I wouldn't risk my life on it. That's why I keep my factory built S&W M&P or DPMS AR as my SHTF rifles... I keep them clean enough to eat off though.
    Mark, can you change a gas tube in an AR15? If so you have the skills to put in the Osprey I posted up above. The only other thing you do is take the bolt out of your current carrier and put it in the Oprey bolt carrier, put that in the upper and you're about done. http://www.gaspiston.com/osprey-defe...llation-video/ Installation video link.
    Last edited by Schuetzenman; 07-18-2011 at 06:45 PM.

Scheutz,

I've only used Del-Ton once, but it wasn't a good experience. Canted front sight base. First time I've ever seen it on an AR, but I got it. Anyhoo, has anyone used the Stag Arms Model 8?

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 NewbieAKguy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Ducati View Post

Why?

Give Adams Arms a try: http://www.adamsarms.net/products.asp?category=100023. IIRC S&W joined with them to produce their piston guns; they produce a 5.45x39 upper. I'd check Osprey too; they work with many calibers too.
    "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time; the hand of force may destroy, but cannot disjoin them. ... Can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God? That they are not to be violated but with His wrath? Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just: that his justice cannot sleep for ever."--Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Charliebravo View Post
    Scheutz,

I've only used Del-Ton once, but it wasn't a good experience. Canted front sight base. First time I've ever seen it on an AR, but I got it. Anyhoo, has anyone used the Stag Arms Model 8?
    Some folks have all the luck, (bad). I have a Delt-Ton upper and nothing was canted, worked just fine.

While I have a piston upper and it does run cleaner in the BCG, my DI'd have always been dependable.
    Dave
    Independent Field tester/Research and Developement

"Better to die for something than live for nothing"
    MOLON LABE