Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Russian Garand is here

Cool My Russian Garand is here

Got my GunBroker treat in the other day. A 1943 Tula SVT40.
    Cleaned it all up and it looks better than described, the "frosted bore" was mostly crud - bore is not mint, but looks better than expected.
    As this was my first time cleaning an SVT, I came to realization that I would not want to disassemble it in the field, no wonder Russians took it out of service so quickly. Wouldn't take much to loose something in the dirt and end up with a straight pull bolt action. Also, it is interesting to see how Soviet weapons evolved from it into SKS and AK.
    I'll take it out to shoot it (with some non-corrosive) ammo once the outside temperatures and humidity die down.
    Some pics:

Cool

awesome man!!! She sure is a beauty.
    Here's to pussy and gunpowder. One to live for, the other to die by.....Goddamn though, I do love the smell of 'em both !!!

Neat rifles, I hope you like it. It will be interesting to see how it groups.

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Cleaned up nice but oh boy does that stick its nose way out front. What is the overall length and barrel length on that rifle?

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

That is SWEEEEEET. How much?

lucky

Quote Originally Posted by 1 Patriot-of-many View Post
    Last one's I've seen for sale were in the $900-1200 range, back when I had my shop in the 90's we bought them for $125...

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

I had one several years back - when they were running $600-$700.

Cool historic rifles.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Quote Originally Posted by 1 Patriot-of-many View Post
    Got lucky for just around 650 all said and done. Put ina ;low ball bid before going to bed and expected to lose. Woke up a winning bidder.

Quote Originally Posted by old Grump View Post
    Cleaned up nice but oh boy does that stick its nose way out front. What is the overall length and barrel length on that rifle?
    http://surplusrifle.com/svt40/specifications.asp
    Surprisingly light for its size.
    Barrel Length: 24.02 Inches
    Overall Length: 48.27 Inches
    Weight: 8.9 lbs.
    Rifling: 4 turns, right hand twist
    Action: Semiautomatic
    Caliber: 7.62x54r
    Magazine Capacity: 10 round, detachable box

Quote Originally Posted by vit View Post
    Got lucky for just around 650 all said and done. Put ina ;low ball bid before going to bed and expected to lose. Woke up a winning bidder.
    I knew you'd work a deal..

Quote Originally Posted by mriddick View Post
    I knew you'd work a deal..
    No way I pay retail...

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Thumbs up

Nice rifle, I've put a copy of your thread in the C&R forums Military Sime-Autos forum.

Thanks!

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

I still have mine, but never shoot it.... That looks like a nice example.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

I was doing a Gun Show in Raleigh, NC years ago and a customer walked up with an SVT 40 that looked every bit that good and they only wanted $275 for it. I was so excited, I was really thinking "I'm going to get this one"! Then I racked the bolt back to lock it open and put my bore light in from the breech end and saw the black crusty bowls of hell! The fucking idiot shot it and didn't clean it! I said, that's a shame, handed it back and followed up with "Good Luck on selling your rifle".

SVT-40 worth the cost

I bought one at an online auction for $900 in April of this year. It is a Tula 1940 with no import stamp. It had a straight muzzle extension without the flash suppressor, a 6 round magazine, and no cleaning rod. I purchased an original muzzle extension with 6 slot flash suppressor, two 10 round magazines, and a cleaning rod plus latch and spring (the spring is a Tokarev 38/40 extractor spring which works as well as the latch spring I could not find. I cleaned the grease out of it and cleaned the stock. The 10 round magazines needed to be fitted so I had that done by a gunsmith. That is a common problem with the magazines for the SVT/AVT rifles. Normally the magazines are fitted to their respective rifles at the armory. This rifle shoots great and the 7.62X54R are a blast. To make a long story short, I have about $1,200 in the rifle after shipping, auction fees, and parts. I am happy because I have one of about 3,500 currently in the US. See the before and after pic attached. PS - I need a rear sling swivel if anyone knows where one might be had.

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Great restoration James! Welcome to Gunnset.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vit View Post
    Got my GunBroker treat in the other day. A 1943 Tula SVT40.
    Cleaned it all up and it looks better than described, the "frosted bore" was mostly crud - bore is not mint, but looks better than expected.
    As this was my first time cleaning an SVT, I came to realization that I would not want to disassemble it in the field, no wonder Russians took it out of service so quickly. Wouldn't take much to loose something in the dirt and end up with a straight pull bolt action. Also, it is interesting to see how Soviet weapons evolved from it into SKS and AK.
    I'll take it out to shoot it (with some non-corrosive) ammo once the outside temperatures and humidity die down.
    Some pics:

This has got to be one of the cleanest/nicest looking SVT-40's I've seen. Even for a refurb it's in exceptional shape. Really makes me miss the two I had. Congrats Vit!
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast