Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's Alive!

It's Alive!

I finally got to shoot my new shorty on sunday! It functioned flawlessly. the only problem i see is the extractor really beats up the case rims. otherwise, i'm very happy with the performance. it already started shooting some decent groups even out of a brand new barrel (not to mention the russian surplus 60gr ammo). also, my muzzle brake is very efficient. it caused bystanders to flinch (sorry), and blew some old varnish off the bench!

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

What kind of setup do you have and where are the pics?
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Rim damage is not surprising to me, the fact it actually functioned every shot is. I've covered this topic in your earlier threads on this topic. About good groups out of barrels, frankly the most accurate weapons usually are is when they are brand new. They haven't been abused yet.

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    What kind of setup do you have and where are the pics?
    sorry for the breech of etiquite. i will post some pics and a full layout of specs to satisfy the gun geek in all of us.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Rim damage is not surprising to me, the fact it actually functioned every shot is. I've covered this topic in your earlier threads on this topic. About good groups out of barrels, frankly the most accurate weapons usually are is when they are brand new. They haven't been abused yet.
    Schuetzenman. I'm happy that your worst fears about my setup have not come true! dodged a bullet on that one. i'll keep you posted on the accuracy situation, hope it hangs in for a while.

caliber?

Barrel length?
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Quote Originally Posted by Helen Keller View Post
    caliber?

Barrel length?
    sorry still no pics... busy as hell.

helen, if i may call you that, it's your basic m-4 ish shorty ar. here is the run down.

5.56 nato
    10 1/2" wilson combat barrel with a 5 3/4" brake (16 1/4" oal. for those who hate math)
    bushmaster lower
    5 position stock
    yankee hill flat top upper
    m-4 shorty handguards
    hogue grip
    mil-surp front post (modified with set screws instead of taper pins)
    pro-mag flip up rear
    and some colt 30 rounders with green followers

what you've all been waiting for!

here are a few pics of my newly assembled shorty ar.
    sorry it took so long.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I think it'd be worth it to SBR that weapon.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

I think it'd be worth it to SBR that weapon.
    Funky, i thought about that.
    don't like the idea of uncle sam's minions dropping in whenever they feel like it! even though i keep my nose clean.

Senior Member sniper_n_training's Avatar

If you keep your nose clean, whats the harm in SBR'ing it? You would like the weapon alot more!

Quote Originally Posted by sniper_n_training View Post
    If you keep your nose clean, whats the harm in SBR'ing it? You would like the weapon alot more!
    it's my understanding that the atf can check in on you at any point. you put yourself on THE LIST, if you will. i may be wrong.
    the other issue is i already destroyed the threaded muzzle by permanently attaching the brake. i would have to cut it even shorter and re-thread the barrel.
    however, having a little bird cage on the loud end would put the cool factor through the roof!

You could sell your current upper and get a new SBR one, if you went that route.

Quote Originally Posted by hogmister View Post
    it's my understanding that the atf can check in on you at any point. you put yourself on THE LIST, if you will. i may be wrong.
    the other issue is i already destroyed the threaded muzzle by permanently attaching the brake. i would have to cut it even shorter and re-thread the barrel.
    however, having a little bird cage on the loud end would put the cool factor through the roof!
    You buy a gun your on "The List" as far as I'm concerned. You are only going to get visited if somebody is running around shooting folks with an AR that fits your SBR version's description. You have 1 or 2 or even 5 you will probably never ever be visited. You own 100, maybe, you own 1000, yeah probably. I was a dealer from 1993 to 2005 and never ever got a visit by BATFE. My business was very small and I was moving less than 200 weapons most years. I did get 3 phone calls over the years by BATFE asking who I sold a weapon to by a cerain serial number they would read off to me. This was in connection with a weapon having been found at a crime scene. Never did find out if it was used in a crime or was just stolen property they were trying to track down the legal owner on. They won't tell you.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    You buy a gun your on "The List" as far as I'm concerned. You are only going to get visited if somebody is running around shooting folks with an AR that fits your SBR version's description. You have 1 or 2 or even 5 you will probably never ever be visited. You own 100, maybe, you own 1000, yeah probably. I was a dealer from 1993 to 2005 and never ever got a visit by BATFE. My business was very small and I was moving less than 200 weapons most years. I did get 3 phone calls over the years by BATFE asking who I sold a weapon to by a cerain serial number they would read off to me. This was in connection with a weapon having been found at a crime scene. Never did find out if it was used in a crime or was just stolen property they were trying to track down the legal owner on. They won't tell you.
    So they can search your home without a warrant, or not?

No, they cannot. This is one of the biggest NFA myths there is. The ATF can look in on dealers/manufacturers when they please, but Joe SBR/AOW does not need to fear that. If they (for whatever reason) want to see your hardware, they must contact you first, and request it. At that point, you can show them in your home, at Walmart, or in the McDonalds parking lot if that is what you choose.

So they can search your home without a warrant, or not?
    As darkheart said, no they can't. They would have to call and request to see it, make an appointment. If it was a suspect weapon they might take it and leave you a receipt until the ballistics testing comes back proving it not the one they are looking for. But frankly that could happen to any weapon. When the DC shooters were doing their thing, an attempt to find all AR15 owners in the region and test their weapons was attempted from what I remember hearing. Of course they didn't find anything that way.

Quote Originally Posted by hogmister View Post
    ....and blew some old varnish off the bench!
    Not surprising about the varnish with that brake...lol

Quote Originally Posted by 308 View Post
    Not surprising about the varnish with that brake...lol
    Ha ha! it works really good!
    just got back from the range. today three guys were watching me and laughing their asses off cause of the muzzle blast.

good to hear i'm wrong about the batf.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast