Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So what firearm do you hunt with?

On a hill with the view of the rest of my life.

So what firearm do you hunt with?

I use a Mdl 99F .300 Savage or my M1A for deer and elk. Remington 870 Wingmaster for small game.

Trying to get on the no fly list, one post at a time.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet SILVER 01/2011 AKTexas's Avatar

Last year I used my Remington M700 .270,This year I might use my Remington M700 .308 or my Vepr .308 and The Ruger Super Blackhawk hunter .41 mag.
    NRA, TSRA, GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA
    BEING THE MODERATOR OF THE ROADHOUSE IS LIKE BEING THE JANITOR OF A PEEP SHOW.

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

I use a Ruger No.1S (Medium Sporter) chambered in .300 Win. Mag. for my big game hunting.
    After today, it's all historical.

Mossberg 270. works for everything. but I use my Ruger 10-22 for the small stuff.
    BTW
    My 270 looks like crap from traveling through all the brush and sticker bushes. so I will spare everyone the picture.

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

no semi auto rifles in pa.

thats been my main gun for years, long before i put the thumbhole stock on it. .30-'06 with 180gn soft point round nose. very accurate.

for bear, i have a mdl 700, also in .30-'06. i dont think i have any pics of that on hand. pretty standard, with a muzzle break on the front. i dont think its needed, but it was there when i bought it.

this year, i want ot take this out for deer:

(the bottom one)

i out it together from a HORRIBLY butchered gew98 mauser i picked up for $25. the only part of the origional gun left is a highly modified trigger guard/floorplate, bolt body (replaced handle) and receiver. i want to take game with a rifle ive put together.

after that, i want to scratch build a bolt action rifle. i mean, as in a block of steel and a barrel blank. i will purchace a scope, and probably other small parts like screws and swivel studs and such, but i want to thn be able to take game with a rifle i can say i truely made. maybe by the day that comes, ill be able/willing to give rifling a barrel a try and have it be a complete scratch build. thats off in the future yet though.

Savage 110 in .270. Though I've taken out my mosin nagant as well.

Team GunsNet Silver 02/2014

Pre 64 Mod 70's in either .270 or 06 for big game, 870 in 12 ga for dove/grouse.turkey.
    Take .22's/357 or 44mag for various smaller critters.
    Dan

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Oh boy, what day of the week is it and what game.

Turkey it has been Mossberg pump 20 gauge with scope but this year I have my Winchester semi auto I might take out instead.

Squirrel depends on leaf condition, Marlin 60 with scope or S&W M41 pistol. Same two for rabbit.

Deer Bow season it is Horton Pro 175 crossbow.

Deer Gun season it has been Win 94 32 Win Spcl in the woods or H&R .308 in my stand.

S&W M57 41 mag on my hip in the woods or Ruger Blackhawk 44 mag in the stand for those close up 'can't resist using the handgun' shots.

Deer Muzzle Loader season it is Lyman Cougar 50 caliber inline.

The only change I might make is if I ever get my reloading bench rebuilt I will load up some hunting loads for the M1 Garand and leave the other two on the rack. I already know it's accurate enough and it has been 38 years since I deer hunted with a M1.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

ADMIN | LOGIC POLICE RJ Shooter's Avatar

Since I'm in Florida now, I don't hunt much anymore - other than pigs - and for those, I use my M4.
    The Guns Network | Often Imitated - Never Duplicated!
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Tikka T3 "Super Varmint" .308

The thing is like voodoo. hit exactly what I point it at every time I shoot. Only taken it out twice. Once at the range, and once in the field. Second time I ever shot it, the thing put food on my table. You could call me a satisfied customer...

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2011

I've always hunted with a Savage 99 in .300 Savage. But It's been through 3 generations and I'd like it to be in nice shape for the 4th so I've retired it to the safe. I still take it out maybe once a year.

Lately I've been hunting with a Marlin 30-30 for the woods and when I'm out on the power lines and want a little more reach either a Savage 111 or 110 both in 30-06. This year I may change it up a little and try out my Rem 799 in 7.62x39 in the woods and a Rem 798 in 30-06 for the power lines.

Iron Pumping Bastard aliceinchains's Avatar

Deer hunting. Depends on terrian if it is flat and open then 7mm rem mag or 338 win mag.

Cramped quarters marlin guide gun 45-70. Included side arm or shall i say across the chest Taurus Raging bull chambered in 454 Casull.
    I am sitting in my angry chair!

i was slumming with a 16' saiga 308 last year ,this year it'll be a savage 110 30-06 with accutrigger,need to get a scope for it though ,any recommendations for glass?ill be in thick timber with shots of 100 yards or less

On a hill with the view of the rest of my life.
    Quote Originally Posted by blobman View Post
    i was slumming with a 16' saiga 308 last year ,this year it'll be a savage 110 30-06 with accutrigger,need to get a scope for it though ,any recommendations for glass?ill be in thick timber with shots of 100 yards or less
    Whatever you do for glass, spend the money for good quality. Leupold Vari-xII 3x9 is what I use, but there are many good manufacturers.
    Trying to get on the no fly list, one post at a time.

and

lmfao!!!!!

Hunt what?
    P=Plenty

It just depends really on the terrain and the quarry

Deer: Cz550 6.5x55, Marlin MR7 .280 AI, Savage 99 .308, Winchester 70 .243, Marlin 336 30-30
    Dove: Browning Citori 12ga, Ithaca 37 20 ga, High Standard Flite King 28 ga
    Elk: Ruger .300, Browning A Bolt .338

Good looking Fausti Abpt

-thats exactly what i was thinking btcave,leopold vari-?

Team GunsNet Gold 03/2014

On the home front, deer with a Browning A5 or Colt Python in shotgun season.

Have taken boar at a preserve in Pa. with the Python, Martin bow, muzzle loader, and in Texas, 270 Walther.

I have been lucky enough to hunt south Africa, and have taken cape buffalo with Rem 375 ultra-mag. Other big game taken with Rem 338 ultr-mag and Walther 270.

Used the A5 for years for duck, pheasant, rabbit and the odd quail.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast