View Poll Results: Do you use a Coverup Spray when hunting?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I spray my clothes.

0 0%
  • Yes, I spray my clothes and boots.

3 12.00%
  • Yes, I spray my clothes, boots and body.

3 12.00%
  • No

19 76.00%

Thread: Do you use a coverup spray when you hunt?

Do you use a coverup spray when you hunt?

The evolution in coverup sprays has changed over the years.

What has been your history with them.

Do you also use body wash in the shower?

Do you treat your hunting clothes?

How do you preform any of the above when your out in the boonies camping for 5 or 10 days?

I will post what I have been doing for years later.... I have been on many Corporate Hunting Pro Staff Teams over the years. Have 30+ years bow hunting.

Guns Network Staff

On a hill with the view of the rest of my life.
    Never tried the stuff. Maybe I should give it a try. I "still-hunt" almost exclusively.
    Trying to get on the no fly list, one post at a time.

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

yes and no.

i wash with unscented products before the hunt, my clothes, they get washed a while before the season, after that, they get a quick spray down just to get rid of any detergent smells, and hang outside for a while to air out. after the season starts, my over clothes will usually not get washed for the whole season unless somthing happens to soil them. and i never do anything to my underclothes that i change every day. maybe, if the mood hits me, ill spray my boots before i go out. but for the most part, i think scent control is a huge myth created to sell more products.

during rifle season, ive already pissed on a tree and seen deer come up and smell it. i see more deer following hunters than anything else. i too still hunt, and i couldnt tell you how many times ive sat all morning seeing nothing, then, around noon time, when other hunters are giving up and walking out, see the deer following their exact path about 150 yds behind them. if scent was such a big deal, then why would there be this much interaction?

i have seen deer get a hint of a scent and "get nervous" but very rarely. let me throw in, i dont hunt from trees, i hunt on the ground. ive had deer walk past me within 10-15 yds, get about 30 yds past me, appear to catch my scent, and follow it back to me.

On a hill with the view of the rest of my life.
    Quote Originally Posted by deth502 View Post
    during rifle season, ive already pissed on a tree and seen deer come up and smell it.
    Need to bottle it and sell it!
    Trying to get on the no fly list, one post at a time.

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by btcave View Post
    Need to bottle it and sell it!
    hmmm, never thought of that.....

"hunt with the smell of deth in the air" i think you might be on to something..........

i think theyre more curious than anything. possibly, if your in an area that experiances a lot of pressure on the animals year round, it may matter, but thats not the case in pa. add to that, idk what other states are like, but archery season is the first big game season in the fall, so they have essientially no negative human interactions before hand. (for the year anyway). possibly it might matter in rifle season, but theyre dead long before they are close enough to smell anything.

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Tried it, made me smell bad. Success was the same scent or no scent. I just wash my hunting clothes and hang them out to dry in the air and I leave them hanging outside at the end of the day so they don't soak up shop or house stink but that's all. Only thing I do for my boots is shake out the old foot powder and put in new foot powder at the beginning of the first day of gun season.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

swampdragon

Talking

If you want a deer to come in close...use doe urine.
    Works like a charm....

I always let my clothes air for a few days then build a fire at the campsite a couple of weeks before the season started. I would let my hunting clothes hang near the smoke so the scent was the same. Dunno. Hunted sometimes and others did not, but the fire burned.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Nope.
    I keep my clothes away from chemical smells, cooking, etc. though.
    I DON'T CALL 911

I've never used anything to mask my scent. I participate in competition raccoon hunts with hounds very frequently in PKC, AKC, & UKC, and when there isn't a comp to go to I get the dogs out for good practice, and training, I'm in the woods 6 nights a week most of the time, and 7 nights a week often enough to bring it up. Of course I don't need to hide my scent when a hound is doing all the work. However, when I go coyote, fox, deer, hogs, bear, or any other game that scent might be a concern I use the clothes that I wore in the woods coon hunting the night before. I have reasonably good success, but I also put in a lot of scouting time before hand.

Scent coverup

yup all the time. My Son in Law cuts some sage and puts his cloths in a trash bag with the sage overnight.

I dont think it is as important when you are in a blind but in a tree stand or spot and stalk, it matters