Thread: Garand ejection/jamming problem.

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 NewbieAKguy's Avatar

Garand ejection/jamming problem.

Went to the range with a few buds last week and brought out the 'always a crowd pleaser' Garand. IIRC no matter how fast or slow I or others fired, at the 6th or 7th round it will jam and whatever rounds left the gun fires fine. It's only had surplus Greek run through it (both rifle and ammo from CMP). I made sure to oil the rifle in usual spots because it happened last time I shot it.

My question(s): Is there an issue with the rifle, or perhaps issues with the surplus ammo/en bloc clips? I admit to not cleaning very often, but it's not like I'm using it during battlefield conditions, i.e. no rain/moisture or covering it in dirt/grime, etc. The stock is too pretty to risk damaging, LOL.
    "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time; the hand of force may destroy, but cannot disjoin them. ... Can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God? That they are not to be violated but with His wrath? Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just: that his justice cannot sleep for ever."--Thomas Jefferson

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Lightbulb

Well, could be a couple of things. The follower, follower rod and or the oprod spring could all be a cause either singly or all together. Sounds like the round isn't being lifted fast enough to feed properly when it is in that 6 to 7 round position. Examine the round trunion of the follower arm that goes into the fork of the follower rod for wear. If worn it may have some grooves rubbed in it. Also check the follwer rod fork that takes the follower arm trunion, it too could possibly be worn down. Lastly the oprod spring that pushes the follower rod to cam the follower arm, it could be weak. These do wear out and need to be replaced.

OK. I need to find schematic of these things to follow you . At most I've put approx. 192-200ish rounds, about 24-25 en blocs through it. I guess I should keep in mind that it's a CMP rifle and therefore I don't know how many rounds have been through it. I got it in 2007 and haven't really shot it much (as stated above). Thanks for the tip S-man. I'll start looking things up tomorrow during my day off.
    "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time; the hand of force may destroy, but cannot disjoin them. ... Can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God? That they are not to be violated but with His wrath? Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just: that his justice cannot sleep for ever."--Thomas Jefferson

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

NewbieAKguy, the link below might help you.

http://stevespages.com/ipb-springfield-m1.html

Steve
    After today, it's all historical.

Thanks Steve, that's perfect. When I get home in morning I'll print that baby off.

Same thing happened to my friends Garand, Lithium grease helped it.

Team GunsNet Gold 05/2011

Make sure that each clip is loaded with the first cartridge to the right side. This was a cure for "seventh round skip" and will give you consistent performance. Or load them all on the left for consistency if that works better in your rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by arcangel View Post
    Same thing happened to my friends Garand, Lithium grease helped it.
    I'll keep that in mind. I usually use Break-Free CLP, guess it might need something a bit thicker.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluntforce View Post
    Make sure that each clip is loaded with the first cartridge to the right side. This was a cure for "seventh round skip" and will give you consistent performance. Or load them all on the left for consistency if that works better in your rifle.
    I'll give that a try next time. But, is it supposed to matter which side first round is on? It'll have to feed from both sides eventually.

Team GunsNet Gold 05/2011

No it shouldn't, it did with the ones with seventh round skip, then the problem was ironed out. It will feed from both sides of course while it is cycling. If you load your own clips this won't be a problem. On the right side also gives the right thumb a more comfortable surface to press on.

It's just an idea for diagnostic purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluntforce View Post
    No it shouldn't, it did with the ones with seventh round skip, then the problem was ironed out. It will feed from both sides of course while it is cycling. If you load your own clips this won't be a problem. On the right side also gives the right thumb a more comfortable surface to press on.

It's just an idea for diagnostic purposes.
    OK, gotcha. I can't remember if I loaded these or if they were from pre-loaded clips. When I do load them I make sure all rounds are level, with no bullets higher than others to cause feeding issues. I'll give that a try next time I'm able to get to the range.