Thread: .22 Magnum vs. 5.7x28?

.22 Magnum vs. 5.7x28?

I was thinking about buying one of these Kel-Tec PMR-30 22WMR pistols:

30 rounds of 22WMR

But I also have one of these FN 5-N-7 pistols already...

The FN has a 20 round capacity, unless you have a 10 round extender for the mag...

The Kel-Tec would be more concealable as the mag extension on the FN stick out farther (about 2.5 inches longer)...

I guess my question is, which do you think shoots better or more accurate? I'd think the 5.7x28 bullet would perform better... but I'm not sure on the ballistics difference between the two... any of you know?

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

I don't think you should worry about what you have already. Get the Kel-Tec and enjoy it side by side with your FN. Think of the Kel-Tec as cheaper plinking practice for the FN.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Not sure but with the price of .22 magnum it couldn't be much cheaper to shoot. I have 3 pistols and 2 rifles in .22 mags and love them. The rifles are accurate and spot on at 100yds even on turtle heads but I think the magnum was really designed to be fired out of a rifle barrel and lose most of their ooomph out of handgun length barrels.

Isn't Keltec making a carbine based off of the PMR30. Saw a select fire prototype on Youtube. It had a retractable stock like an MP5. Now that would be the cats pajamas.

Id also say get you a kel tec for all the reasons already stated.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Or, you could think of the Kel-Tec as your trail gun version, so if you accidently drop it off a cliff or a bear eats it, your only out about $300-$400.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

22 mags in an autoloader have a well earned rep for not being the most reliable weapon and I doubt anyone is going to fix that (IMO the problem is an overly long and skinny cartridge that just makes it tough to work 100%). The 5.7 is always going to have the edge in that regard IMO.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    In my humble opinion, center fire beats rim fire for self protection.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Another thing to consider is the availability of the ammo. 5.7 is not very popular around here and I can't remember ever seeing any on store shelves. Your area might be different. During the ammo run, after the election, .22 mags were still on the shelves.

If it were me, I'd opt for the Kel-Tec.

In almost every review of the Kel Tec the PMR has had reliability issues.
    That said I would still like to pick one up eventually as a fun blaster pistol but I would never bet my life on it.
    The centerfire 5.7 has a reliability edge over the rimfire. Also the 5.7 will feed better because it has a rebated rim and a necked design.

On the other hand...
    The PMR is significantly cheaper though and ammo is much easier to find.
    30 rounds in one magazine is cool.
    At about a pound and a half you can carry it hiking and let your kids rip off 60 rounds of fun before you turn in. (weight of the gun and two loaded mags)

Conclusion:
    If you want it and can afford it I see no reason not to get it.
    This is just my opinion and it's entirely correct.

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

KEL-Tec the rosie odonnel of women......

I know I know they're an american company, but why do they have to make such fugly guns?