Thread: Its not 2012 yet... but how do you travel out of town when driving (not flying).

Its not 2012 yet... but how do you travel out of town when driving (not flying).

I have the rear seat of my F150 loaded.

-Water Bottles/Katadyn Filters
    -Ponchos, mini shelters
    -16" AR15 with Telestock in padded casem 200 round battle back SS109, 5 mags
    -Glock 45 SF and a Kimber Ultra Carry Pro... both with about 100 rounds each.
    -12V air pump
    -Bolt Cutters
    -Medium Sized ax
    -Bear Grillys Machette
    -Jumper Cables
    -MRE's
    -Parachord 550
    -2 small back packs
    -First Aid Kit
    -Survival Knife and Fire Starter

All of the above fits neatly into to medium sized back packs for me and Mommy to Carry

In the bed of the truck, I carry two 20L fuel cans filled with premium and preservative and a single 20L water can. They're all three chained down to the tie downs nicely.

My point is, if the grid goes down and you can't drive back home... can you walk 150-200 miles with your family and survive? I could, can you? We're going town to Atlanta 9/1/11 to see Maroon 5 and Train play at the Verizon wireless amphitheater... never know what can happen at any time. Hopefully we'll drive back safely... BUT, if SHTF... It might take 10-14 days, but we can make it back home.

So you about your travel plans?

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

I keep a spare pair of Altama jungle boots under my seat. An extra pair of tennis shoes. And extra long sleeve shirt/jacket. A waterproof pancho. Leather gloves. Socks. Automotive fluids in my tool box. Some basic hand tools. Extra knife, flashlight, multi tool. Usually a hi-cap pistol of some sort in the glove box with extra mags.

The main thing I carry is an attitude not to give up, and a willingness to get out and walk/swim if need be.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

I just have an AK and an assault vest with loaded mags...
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

It is classified.

Well, I'm motorcycle only, so what I can pack is limited. I do have tanto and well stocked first aid kit in the saddlebags though.

Katadyn Vario, and theres a Army camel bak in the trunk, 16'' AR with Acog ( usually when we drive to my parents my friends and dad like to go shooting.? 150-210 rds of 5.56. USP 45 and 5 mags, 2-4 mags of 9mm for the G19, Tanto Ka Bar and Tomahawk. All usually in a rifle bag, except G19. That would be along 280 mile walk from there to here. Stay low profile and book it. Avoiding attention at all costs.

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Thermos of coffee, beef jerky and hostess cupcakes or Twinkies. Plus I stop regularly for ice cream.

Just because I have to give up the comforts of home there is no need to give up all the comforts that make life worth getting up for in the morning.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

Bad idea keeping MREs in your truck. The temperature extremes they will be exposed to, particularly in Georgia, will kill their shelf life. I keep 3600 calorie Mainstay bars in the cars instead. Smaller than MREs and they don't suffer so badly from temperature fluctuations.

What I keep in our vehicles for travels depends on what we are doing. For daily commuting survival bottles and Mainstays will suffice. I work within 5 miles of my house and my girlfriend works 15 miles away. Given the nature of my girlfriend's job she is usually better dressed for walking long distances than I am in a suit and tie. Hence why I also keep a spare change of clothes including a pair of Merrell Moabs.

We also keep spare food, diapers, wipes, water, clothes, etc. for our daughter in each car. That's just common sense for a parent.

Travelling cross country changes what we carry dramatically.
    Because you suck. And I hate you.

Proud member of GeorgiaCarry.org, Ohio CCW, and the Second Amendment Foundation. Ex-NRA member.

"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression." - Thomas Paine

Brutus was a prophet.

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

1500 mile range
    140 lbs propane
    generator
    air compressor w/ air tools
    tools & spare parts
    60 gallons fresh water
    2 weeks food
    2 weeks & all season clothing
    Min 2 Pistols, Rifle & Shotgun with 1,000+ rounds
    invertor(s)
    GPS w/detail mapping (this thing shows logging trails & country driveways!)
    Last edited by El Laton Caliente; 08-11-2011 at 07:42 AM.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Nice rig!

But what happens if you hit a traffic jam and need to go accross the median to escape?

Just sayin.

I guess you just need to get ahead of the madness.

For me, I travel all of the time and when I drive, it's in my Wrangler - and as mentioned, I have the one truely neccessary tool for survival to get me back home.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Bad idea keeping MREs in your truck.
    [

I hear ya, I keep a lot of stuff under the rear folding bench seat in my truck routinely... ALL but, MRE's. I only toss a few under the seat when traveling out of town. I don't keep food in my truck for everyday driving. When I get to my hotel, the guns/ammo/MRE's come up to the room... everything else stays in the truck.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Ducati View Post
    [

I hear ya, I keep a lot of stuff under the rear folding bench seat in my truck routinely... ALL but, MRE's. I only toss a few under the seat when traveling out of town. I don't keep food in my truck for everyday driving. When I get to my hotel, the guns/ammo/MRE's come up to the room... everything else stays in the truck.

You might seriously look into the Mainstays then, as they do keep well in temperature extremes and take up a fraction of the space of MREs.
    Because you suck. And I hate you.

Proud member of GeorgiaCarry.org, Ohio CCW, and the Second Amendment Foundation. Ex-NRA member.

"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression." - Thomas Paine

Brutus was a prophet.

Gunsnet Contributor 02/14

If I need to get out of town...

I either hook up the rv and go or just jump in the truck and drive to my camp. I have a kit all ready to load, 5 minutes tops, and I keep at least one tank full of gas. That will get me 200 miles. My camp is 125 miles away. The camp is stocked and I have a kit for the rv ready to load.....I have several routes to travel on. A Texas county road map is worth it's weight in gold when you have to go cross country while there is gridlock on the interstates, aka Houston during the last hurricane......chris3

I think one benefit of me being not overly prepared is that we can grab everything in our place that we would need in no more than 10 minutes. The majority of our ammo is in boxes in a milk crate, and the rest is either in mags in a LBV or in the ruck. I've only 3,000rds total between 4 guns, 2,300 of it being 5.56. And we could just load up the food/water with a quickness and be gone if we needed. Most likely to my GF's parents, then to my GF's dad's parents in the country, which would be much closer to my parents as well.

Team GunsNet Silver 03/2014

I have two "comfort" zones, and almost never leave them. The first is a 25 mile radius from home, which cover in-town shopping, doctors, etc. The second is a 150mile radius, which covers Las Vegas, as we sometimes go shopping there. Either way, I always keep enough gas in the tank to get home. Our vehicle is a 1993 Grand Cherokee with 4WD. We always have water and at least one sidearm with us. If things get worse, I'll take the SKS and possibly a shotgun with me.

Earlier, someone brought up a good point about taking a 4WD road book. Good point that I completely missed. I'll put the book in the Jeep tomorrow. Thank you for bringing it up!

I usually just bring a Glock and a lot of ammo.

Rage