Thread: First lower is complete! With a question?

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011

First lower is complete! With a question?

I finished my first lower assembly today after a trip to lowes this afternoon to pick up a longer Allen wrench. The roll pins went in smoothly and no springs were launched, so I was very pleased with that.

Spikes lower
    Spikes lpk
    Magpul ctr stock (this will be the only piece of magpul equipment on my rifle, I swear!)

Quick question- the mag catch seems really tight. I threaded the screw right to the end of the mag release button like the guides say, but I can't insert a mag without pressing the button. Is this something that needs to loosen up on it's own, or do I need to thread the screw in further?
    Anyone ever run into this problem?
    Last edited by 6gunsal; 08-19-2011 at 06:17 PM.

Sounds like you might have threaded the button on too far. If the threaded part of the latch is sticking out of the button, back off a turn until it is flush or lower.

Delivering supplies to the Alamo for round two.
    Magpul ctr stock (this will be the only piece of magpul equipment on my rifle, I swear!)
    What's wrong with Magpul?
    I like their stuff, especially the buttstocks.

On a hill with the view of the rest of my life.
    Quote Originally Posted by AK-J View Post
    Sounds like you might have threaded the button on too far. If the threaded part of the latch is sticking out of the button, back off a turn until it is flush or lower.
    +1 sir. Happened on my build.
    Trying to get on the no fly list, one post at a time.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

I would also say you have screwed it in too far. Back it off a couple of turns. Mags should just push in and lock. You should NOT have to push the release button to get one in.

So what upper are you considering? I What optics?
    Because you suck. And I hate you.

Proud member of GeorgiaCarry.org, Ohio CCW, and the Second Amendment Foundation. Ex-NRA member.

"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression." - Thomas Paine

Brutus was a prophet.

Thanks for the suggestion guys, I will back it out a bit when get home.

Quote Originally Posted by stinker View Post
    What's wrong with Magpul?
    I like their stuff, especially the buttstocks.
    Just to be "different".

Quote Originally Posted by Lysander View Post
    So what upper are you considering? I What optics?
    I've got a bcm complete upper on the way that I found on another board. Has about 1000 rds through it, but I'm getting it for just over $400 which I consider a good deal seeing that the bcg and charging handle are included.
    No optics yet, just a Troy flip up in the rear. I would like a low power scope in the future, so I'll be keeping an eye on how you like your 1-4's.

I've also got a 12 INCH DD lite rail that will be installed eventually, but seeing that that will require a new gas block I might hold off on that for now, or just build up a completely new upper as time and funds allow.

So in the end I'm hoping it will turn out just like yours, Lysander, but for now I'll just run it as is.
    Last edited by 6gunsal; 08-18-2011 at 08:25 PM.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

You've got a 12 foot rail?

Lol

I've got lots of accessories

Played around with the mag catch last night and it would not accept the magazine until I screwed it out so far that the release button was completely out of the receiver.
    When I shove the mag in it feels like it is hitting a wall, so maybe the mag catch could uses little filing on the bottom edge?
    Also, if I push on the mag catch from the inside of the magwell I am unable to move it. Does this mean something is out of spec?

Finally, I grabbed a brand new magazine and was able to seat that, but I still felt like it required too much force to ram it home.

I've tried searching on google and this does not seem like a common problem, which only makes it more frustrating :/

Have you tried to insert a magazine w/o the mag catch in place? If so, does the magazine slide into/out of the mag well easily? I'd try another mag catch to see if that's the problem.

The only thing I can think of is that either the mag catch or the receiver is out of spec.
    Last edited by AK-J; 08-19-2011 at 02:52 PM.

Yes, the magazine will fit fine with the catch out of the way.
    I am going to take the mag catch out and try to smooth out the edges a bit and hopefully that will help.