Thread: Survival Map...

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Thumbs up Survival Map...

Dayum. I've purchased my land smack dab in the middle of this guy's ideal survival location.

~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Lightbulb

A little frost doesn't hurt anything, just ask an Eskimo.

Hey, it's not my vid.

Jerimiah Johnson would't agree either

But you have to admit that being able to grow shit just about all year round and not having to expend energy just to keep warm... well, give you a better chance of surviving. Not to mention water... yeah, you need water. And low population density...

As he says at the end of the vid, he needs to add soil fertility and such too - and that won't hurt my location at all

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Too generalized. Plus he is not considering the increased risk of disease in these high precipitation, high heat areas.

I love it in rural coastal SC, but without mosquito planes and modern medicine, malaria would kick a lot of ass.

And it doesn't even consider the physical strain that farming in the summer time would put on a person around here. There is a reason why those who farmed here in the past did it involuntarily.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Most diseases are spread by human contact. That's one of the reasons that he's choosing low population density.

And just how much farming do you think is needed to tend to a large garden or two?

BTW, I have a tractor And it's a diesel... and I know how to make biodiesel...

In the long run, having to deal with severe winter is much harder on the body than "the heat"

Besides, we're not talking the equator here...

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by O.S.O.K. View Post
    Most diseases are spread by human contact. That's one of the reasons that he's choosing low population density.

And just how much farming do you think is needed to tend to a large garden or two?

BTW, I have a tractor And it's a diesel... and I know how to make biodiesel...

In the long run, having to deal with severe winter is much harder on the body than "the heat"

Besides, we're not talking the equator here...
    Southern SC feels a lot like the equator.

I don't have a tractor, and just a "small" garden big enough to feed one person would break your back around here. Heat stroke is a serious problem in this area when things are good, much less when you have to survive. Take it from somebody who does manual labor in the heat.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Same story over & over, eastern half of Tx always seems to fit the critieria. I'm so thankful I got out of the PRK & came home, probably not a moment too soon either.
    As for working in the heat, we're headed towards 50 days of 100+ temps here in tx.
    The heat CAN be dealt with, assuming it's a complete collapse-type situation, you can work in the earlier part of the day and the far later part of the evening. In a situation like that you're not stuck working the normal 9-5 routine, you can pick a different time to do what you need to do. It's daylight from 5 pm until about 8-9 pm & the heat is a lot less fierce. Start the day at 6 am when it's light enough to see & you can stay out there until about 11 am, then it's best to take it easy from 11 am until about 5 pm.
    I work outside in a railyard, so you can add in the additional heat from the steel & concrete in the yard and while it's tough to do, I still manage to stay on my feet.
    This includes manually shoving 2600 lb railcar wheels up & down the track as well as manually shoving 10 TON wheel/truck assy's on the same tracks. We don't have an overhead shelter either, we're out there in the direct sun. SPF 50 is the minimum I use, SPF 70+ is usually what I use and it does make a difference in heat-related fatigue.
    The only time the heat really got to me was several weeks ago when it was 111 degrees outside, I was cutting firewood with a 36" chainsaw at 4 pm. The heat exhaustion was more than I could take & truthfully it was stupid of me to try doing firewood under those conditions.

Dayum. I've purchased my land smack dab in the middle of this guy's ideal survival location.

where did you find this video?

Your in the middle of this one too

Quote Originally Posted by wil-c View Post
    where did you find this video?
    Youtube search...

And bovver - not exactly... looks like I'd have some beachfront property though

Quote Originally Posted by bovver View Post

Your in the middle of this one too
    He Acquired this information during a Psychic experience... "
    ????? I want some of what he and Printerman have been smokin'!!!!

BTW, Thank's for the first vid OSOK I'm good to go too

Map from the navy.

I too will be beach front.

I need some help here... if you have sea level... and you are located some 360-500 feet above sea level, then there is no worry. All of the "blue" areas must be very very low elevation... but it looks way too big - too much area covered.

So, I call BS - the ocean isn't going to rise what? hundereds of feet? No.

Yeah, here's a map showing elevations:

Yeah, if the ocean rose, the flooding would follow the Mississippi river basin - but not be as large as is shown. No way.

And look at where it shows the big assed lake in the west - no fucking way!!!
    Last edited by O.S.O.K.; 08-25-2011 at 08:46 PM.

Team Gunsnet Silver 02/14 - Moderator recon's Avatar

I'll stay right here in central PA. I like the 4 seasons. Specially after this past summer!
    Last edited by recon; 09-04-2011 at 09:00 PM.
    Buy It Cheap!
    Stack It Deep!

Original Member-July-1999!

Gunsnet Contributor 02/14

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    Too generalized. Plus he is not considering the increased risk of disease in these high precipitation, high heat areas.

I love it in rural coastal SC, but without mosquito planes and modern medicine, malaria would kick a lot of ass.

And it doesn't even consider the physical strain that farming in the summer time would put on a person around here. There is a reason why those who farmed here in the past did it involuntarily.
    People farmed for thousands of years without air conditioning. AC only really took hold the last 50 years or so. chris3

I need some help here... if you have sea level... and you are located some 360-500 feet above sea level, then there is no worry. All of the "blue" areas must be very very low elevation... but it looks way too big - too much area covered.

So, I call BS - the ocean isn't going to rise what? hundereds of feet? No.

Yeah, if the ocean rose, the flooding would follow the Mississippi river basin - but not be as large as is shown. No way.

And look at where it shows the big assed lake in the west - no fucking way!!!
    Their maps are WAY scarier than yours, so they must be true.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bovver View Post

Map from the navy.

I too will be beach front.
    Shit. I'm going to need a SCUBA license and learn to farm shrimp.