Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: If the SHTF tomorrow....

Quote Originally Posted by O.S.O.K. View Post
    Try an experiment. Go off the grid for a while and only eat that stored food and what you can grow in your garden - if the fruit makes it to harvest...

Try "practicing" for SHTF - even w/o the comando shit, you will find it to be very interesting...

If I were totally and I mean totally prepared, well I might welcome it, but even then, I realize that the modern medical care that we all enjoy would no longer be available. Get a cancer tumor on your back and not realize that its cancer.... good by charlie.

And Lysander's point about the gangs that would form up is very valid. Are you confident that your community will band together in mutual security? What if they're hungry? And if you're isoltated... how many determined, hungry attackers can you hold off?
    Kinda just did this, went a month without AC cause I refused to add anything else to credit and dint have the 7k to replace the unit off hand. So as I saved the rest up we lived pretty much sweaty and tired of staying home and not going out to eat, and bored out of my mind with the kids on the weekends. So just that little taste tells me that the rest of my life like that and worse would definatly suck.

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    A/C and TV is why we don't have neighborhoods anymore. Used to sit on the porch and visit while us kids played in the yard or in the street. Everybody that walked by got in on the visit. Pretty soon even newcomers were part of the clan. Even now my house has a wrap around porch and a lot of our visiting is done out there in the heat just because its good to be in the fresh air. Lose our power grid and everybody who doesn't have a porch will wish they had one.

Things get tight and you have to depend on your neighbor and he on you that visit time you don't get now will be crucial. Sitting in the local Burp and slurp just isn't the same thing. Helping each other dig out a cistern or repairing a fence shoulder to shoulder is when we get back to civilization again, even if we do miss 'The Price is Right'.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

swampdragon
    If the SHTF tomorrow, I'll probably go outside and cry like a lil bitch cuz I know the whole thing will really suck.

Then...once that's out of my system, I'll just do whatever I have to do.

Quote Originally Posted by swampdragon View Post
    If the SHTF tomorrow, I'll probably go outside and cry like a lil bitch cuz I know the whole thing will really suck.

Then...once that's out of my system, I'll just do whatever I have to do.
    Being a city dweller, I wouldn't have time to cry. Just do.

I will continue to do everything I can prepare and make sure my family is safe. Moving has really made this a challenge; being away from so much of my kith and kin has forced me to rethink several things. That, and now having to possibly take on an aging pacifist preacher (though an excellent farmer) with several health issues.

Analyze, adapt, and overcome.
    Because you suck. And I hate you.

Proud member of GeorgiaCarry.org, Ohio CCW, and the Second Amendment Foundation. Ex-NRA member.

"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression." - Thomas Paine

Brutus was a prophet.

Yeah, if it happened today, I would be screwed.
    I commute 100 miles one way to work in the city. I only know a handful of people around my house. Most of my hand tools are sold off or traded for power tools. Food/water/medical is only a 70 day supply tops. I'm only in my mid 30"s, but i'm not 100% fit or healthy. If it lasted a year or two, I could pull it off.

I'll end up crying myself, because I know I would end up losing at least 60-80% of my family that live in the big cities.
    The 2nd Amendment : Washington didn't use his right to free speech to defeat the British, he shot them.

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 Crash's Avatar

I figure my area would be similar to what happened in New Orleans after Katrina hit. You'll have the haves and have nots running around trying to scrounge. The local government totally clueless and ineffective and making things worse. I'd have to team up with my neighbors and try to get by but my major issue is finding clean drinkable water.
    I'm somewhat set for a limited time as it's common practice to stock up on some supplies due to hurricanes and other events. We had power outages for 1 month (Hurricane Wilma) and it sucked. No A/C was a biggie for me, frigging hot and no refrigerator made it tough. Funny how you become acustomed to the creature comforts.
    But seriously I'm getting to old and busted up to go Mad Max so I figure eventually I'm toast.

I'm smack dab in the middle of Philadelphia and Trenton A.K.A. the proverbial "rock and a hard place". I just hope traffic wouldn't impede my bugout.

Survival isn't as cool as it seems on TV. Ever see how ripped those bushmen are on the Discovery Channel? That's because they work all day, every day. They don't need a gym membership.

You know what else sucks? Winter. Waking up in the middle of the night to put more wood on the fire, if you're too close you wake up with your pants on fire, too far away and you wake up freezing.

Quote Originally Posted by ready View Post
    You know what else sucks? Winter. Waking up in the middle of the night to put more wood on the fire, if you're too close you wake up with your pants on fire, too far away and you wake up freezing.
    Yeah.... i'm looking forward to my first PA winter.
    The 2nd Amendment : Washington didn't use his right to free speech to defeat the British, he shot them.

PA's got some screwed up weather. You could be wearing a T-shirt one day and shoveling snow the next.

PA's got some screwed up weather. You could be wearing a T-shirt one day and shoveling snow the next.

Same goes for north Idaho! The motto is, if you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes. 2 and 3 winters ago were epic in coldness and snowfall, last winter was 8-10" of snow, total!

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

I get pneumonia about once every two years, but get a bad sinus infection at least once a year. I'm not looking forward to the doctors office closing. Or of running out of disposable contact lenses and fluid.

Step one: buy sturdy glasses.

I've got a nebulizer that could be used if there was no medicine, but if the power is out I can't use saline either.

I'm a strong young man, but when I get sick, I get real sick.

Michigans worse,you can do that in 1 afternoon,and the snow will never stop falling,,lake effect for hours
    For a people who are free, and who mean to remain so, a well-organized and armed militia is their best security.
    Thomas Jefferson

If TSHTF tomorrow, the only thing that would bother me is that my wife isn't very good with shooting yet, & I need to know she can protect herself while I go hunt down some food. Otherwise bring it on!

Survival isn't as cool as it seems on TV. Ever see how ripped those bushmen are on the Discovery Channel? That's because they work all day, every day. They don't need a gym membership.
    They work at surviving all day which keeps them lean and hungry. Their weapons are light and never out of ammunition.

The aborigines are a testimony to no matter how much you stockpile in time it will run out and there will be plenty of time.

How about heading out to find something to eat?

Quote Originally Posted by Ol Dirty Bastard View Post
    If TSHTF tomorrow, the only thing that would bother me is that my wife isn't very good with shooting yet, & I need to know she can protect herself while I go hunt down some food. Otherwise bring it on!
    You say that, yet you'd probably be among the second wave of casualties.
    Because you suck. And I hate you.

Proud member of GeorgiaCarry.org, Ohio CCW, and the Second Amendment Foundation. Ex-NRA member.

"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression." - Thomas Paine

Brutus was a prophet.

Cool

Great thread.

Who knows how long any of us would last.....that's like predicting next week's lotto drawing.

In the end though we'll all die, it's inevitable

Quote Originally Posted by Lysander View Post
    You say that, yet you'd probably be among the second wave of casualties.
    You say that, yet you know nothing about my personal capabilities. Being a pessimists myself; I won't let it get me down.

Team GunsNet Silver 03/2014 sevlex's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NRAJOE View Post
    Whomever controls the cookies controls all!
    No THAT'S a T-shirt!
    Telling the truth is treason in an empire of lies.

WWG1WGA

Nothing good ever comes from a pinched sphincter

Exclamation Not a porch but it works!

Quote Originally Posted by old Grump View Post
    Even now my house has a wrap around porch and a lot of our visiting is done out there in the heat just because its good to be in the fresh air. Lose our power grid and everybody who doesn't have a porch will wish they had one.
    My house has a nice spacious carport that is actually under the roof of the house. This is where I hang my laundry to dry (weather permitting).

Ready and Moebrown20 - it is always easier to put enough on to stay warm, but you can never get enough off to get cool!

Ol Dirty Bastard - if your wife isn't that good, leave her the shotty which will be more "forgiving" if poorly aimed. That will also make them reconsider while she then gets the rifle or handgun after emptying the shotty.
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

swampdragon
    Quote Originally Posted by Ol Dirty Bastard View Post
    You say that, yet you know nothing about my personal capabilities. Being a pessimists myself; I won't let it get me down.
    Even the most incapable opponent can still have a lucky day.
    This usually happens on one of your worst days for some reason...no matter how good you are.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast