Thread: 9/11 charities,...they kept the money.

9/11 charities,...they kept the money.

This what kills me about charities and peoples well-intentioned, but very misguided emotions. So many people think the way to resolve a crisis/problem is to throw money at it. The more money they throw, the better things will be. They do little follow-up afterwards to see if it worked, OR, to see who actually got the money. BILLIONS spent on HIV/AIDS. 30 years of that, no cure. 9/11,... on and on and on.
    The definition of insanity is,.....

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...N=US&TEMPLATE=

He told the AP in July that more than $50,000 paid in 2005 to satisfy a loan never reported by the charity went to his mother to repay "an accumulation of a bunch of small loans." But when pressed last week - after the AP pointed out that his mother died that year - Held said he paid himself more than $45,000 to repay the loan. He said he couldn't explain the other $5,000 without researching it.

He said he paid another $12,000 to his brothers, Dave and John, as consulting fees.

You've always got to be careful whenever there is any sort of national disaster or crisis. Unfortunately, there are people (very low on the totem-pole) who constantly lay in wait for something to happen, then go out and prey on people's emotions and good nature to solicit money that never goes to any of the victims. This is why you should never respond to an e-mail or give out your credit card over the phone, no matter how good the sales pitch. Research charities well before-hand, and only donate to those that are well-established with a proven track-record. That's the only way you can be sure that your money isn't just lining some scumbags' pockets.

I used to give to the United Way in TN. Several years ago, it was found that the higher-ups in the TN chapter was embezzling money. After this came to light, I stopped donating anything to them.
    There's no problem an AK can't solve...........

GUNSNET Member Since 2003
    CCW Permit
    03 FFL

We have a select list of organizations we'll give to, mostly we like to give direct to those who need it (pretty much means we give locally only).

This is why I am extremely selective on what charities I donate to.

I give but selectively ! It's true charity has grown cold because of so many thieves but I hope we never totally give up as a nation of giving and compassionette people !

When my mother lost her leg the Gov't. stepped in and helped us out ! We would never abuse that help or even seek it ! Sometimes you need a little help ....

There are those who don't believe in Divine accountability and do anything to line their pockets and never think that God see's their sins ! You reap what you sow or as modernists put , what comes around goes around !

Do you give to that scruffy guy with the sign or write him off as a thief ? 50 cents is hardly worth worrying about yet many won't give assuming he has to be a crook !

God see's everything , so give if you can like the woman who gave her last mite to the temple even though she was poor !
    Nothing but the finest weapon construction and parts used !