Thread: EMP Radiation Protection

EMP Radiation Protection

Riding the coat tails of my EMP/Farday Cage thread...

From what I've been reading... IF we get hit with a Solar Wave of EMP, it'd be like receiving 100 chest x-rays per day...

Maybe that's the hype for the special sleeping bags... I couldn't find any specifics, but its seems to me, that you sleep during the day (have the bags protect you) and then you go about your business at night (the earth will naturally shield you.

So, I'm thinking that EMP radiation is a direct "beam"... its not like "smoke"... surely, if a sleeping bag can protect you, having electronics underground might offer some level of protection?

I wonder if cars parked at the bottom level of a parking garage would be safe? How about my basement vault with 8" of concrete above it? (I've got a crawl space between my vault ceiling and the wood floor above it, I've often wondered if I could somehow have some kind of protective insulation blown into that space above the vaulet?)

I also remember from high school science class... teacher had one of those old civil defense geiger counters... and the audible "clicks" we were hearing were normal background radiation (gamma particles) from the sun hitting the sensor... even though we were in a building.

EMP is gamma radiation... so, any radiologist types here that can expand upon my questions?

And here's a "Faraday Canopy" for your bed...

I wonder if these canopies would be good to park your motorcycle or 4 wheeler in?

http://www.lessemf.com/personal.html
    Last edited by Mark Ducati; 09-04-2011 at 12:39 PM.

FWIW, here are some FARADAY BAGS for you... cheap!

http://www.readymaderesources.com/ca...productId=4521

But, I'm thinking... for SHTF, that unless you are tossing some hand held walkie talkie or HAM radios in the bag... big deal, stick an iPad in, fine, you're not going to get a GPS/Cell phone signal because the satellites and ground towers will be fried as well!

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Interesting Discovery Channel show about the solar max storm:

We are going to have a house with metal roofing. Also, the shed roofs will be metal - galvanized steel.

I wonder if that'll be enough to shield the stuff under it?
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

tag
    US Constitution: Article 1 Section 8 Paragraph 4

The Congress shall have Power To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

If the EMF travels at the speed of light, you will have 8 1/2 minutes to get things covered or to get to cover. That kind of limits where you can go and be totally shielded.