Thread: Cops in San Deigo, if the contract fails don't call us...

Cops in San Deigo, if the contract fails don't call us...

I'd say since this is little more then black mail maybe they've already stopped responding to some crimes (extortion).

By LORI PREUITT and KRIS SANCHEZ
    Updated 6:28 AM PDT, Tue, Jul 13, 2010

Oakland's police chief is making some dire claims about what his force will and will not respond to if planned layoffs happen tonight at midnight.

Chief Anthony Batts listed exactly 44 situations that his officers no longer respond to and they include grand theft, burglary, vehicle collision, identity theft and vandalism. He says if you live and Oakland and one of the above happens to you, you need to let police know on-line.

Here's a partial list:

* burglary
    * theft
    * embezzlement
    * grand theft
    * grand theft:dog
    * identity theft
    * false information to peace officer
    * required to register as sex or arson offender
    * dump waste or offensive matter
    * discard appliance with lock
    * loud music
    * possess forged notes
    * pass fictitious check
    * obtain money by false voucher
    * fraudulent use of access cards
    * stolen license plate
    * embezzlement by an employee (over $ 400)
    * extortion
    * attempted extortion
    * false personification of other
    * injure telephone/ power line
    * interfere with power line
    * unauthorized cable tv connection
    * vandalism
    * administer/expose poison to another's

Batts has only been chief since last October. "I came here to build an organization, not to downsize one," Batts said.

Some 80 officers will be let go at midnight if a last-minute deal is not reached. Negotiations are going on at Oakland City Hall today in the mayor's office. That is about a tenth of the force.

Batts said the 80 officers slated to be laid off - mostly new officers - are "pretty sad and pretty depressed," and those feelings are shared by the Police Department as a whole.

The Oakland City Council voted June 25 to eliminate the positions to help close the city's $32.5 million funding gap. According to the city of Oakland, each of the 776 police officers currently employed at OPD costs around $188,000 per year. Most of the officers who will be affected by the layoffs were on the streets of Oakland when Johannes Mehserle's involuntary manslaughter conviction caused riots last Thursday.

The sticking point in negotiations appears to be job security. The city council asked OPD officers to pay nine percent of their salary toward their pensions, which would save the city about $7.8 million toward a multi-million dollar deficit. The police union agreed, as long as the city could promise no layoffs for three years. No dice, says city council president Jane Brunner.

"We wish we could offer them a three-year no layoff protection we just can't financially.It would be irresponsible of us," Brunner told NBC Bay Area. The city agreed to a one-year moratorium on layoffs, but it is not enough for the union.

The problem is that in the last five years, the police budget -- along with the fire department budget -- have amount to 75 percent of the general fund. After years of largely sparing those departments the budget ax, now it appears there are few other places to cut.

These are the last hours of negotiation and Brunner is hopeful that the city and police will find some sort middle ground.

"It's been very good conversation and not a whole lot of grandstanding." Brunner said. "There's actually real conversations. Each side understands the problem," she said.

I guess the Police Chief just got added to the list of those to be layed off.
    US Constitution: Article 1 Section 8 Paragraph 4

The Congress shall have Power To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization

Ain't hope and change great?!?! Obama's war on propserity is beginning to bear fruit. To paraphrase his spiritual mentor, the chickens are coming home to roost.
    Face your fear, accept your war.

They're never going to be able to keep their NCIC access if they go through with that list. An online report for Theft? What if there's a serial number or V.I.N. involved? You can't do those over the internet. An officer actually has to talk to the victim and, in some cases, have them sign an affidavit. Otherwise, anyone could report a vehicle stolen as long as they knew the name of the registered owner and the V.I.N. Some asshat could report his ex-girlfriend's car stolen online just to get a kick out of her getting stopped and pulled out with a pistol in her ear. This Chief needs to think this through before going through with his plan.

Besides, I don't have much sympathy for the Oakland cops and their union. Everybody is having to make cuts. I haven't had a raise in 3 years, nor am I demanding one. With everyone hurting, I'm not going to demand that the citizens that I serve pony up even more of what they don't have to pay me a lavish salary and benefits package. We're working extremely short-handed right now, but my fiscally responsible municipality has been able to avoid layoffs in public safety. I consider myself fortunate just to be employed, even if I eventually have to take a pay cut. Everybody's hurting, if I have to make sacrifices too, so be it.

I did write San Deigo and meant Oakland, sorry about that, my wife has family in SD and that was on my mind...

Quote Originally Posted by mriddick View Post
    I did write San Deigo and meant Oakland, sorry about that, my wife has family in SD and that was on my mind...
    I hope they're enjoying the weather and the traffic. J/K
    "Woe to you, Oh Earth and Sea, for the Devil sends the beast with wrath, because he knows the time is short...
    Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast for it is a human number,
    its number is Six hundred and sixty six."

Iron Maiden

Team GunsNet Silver 04/2014 El Jefe's Avatar

First off, no public employee should be allowed to belong to a union, that's simply a recipe for disaster.

Secondly, Oakland is little more than a ghetto and will never be a good place to live. If a large percentage of the cities populace don't respect law and order it's hard for me to be concerned that the local police follow suit.

Thirdly, Oakland is merely the canary in the coalmine. The state is broke and getting broker by the second, all of la-la land will soon be dealing with issues of this sort.

Quote Originally Posted by cciota View Post
    I hope they're enjoying the weather and the traffic. J/K
    Really I don't know, I never talk to them but when I think of California I think of them for some reason.

we need to see the conservatives flee the state......watch it crumble....think 'atlas shrugged'....all of the WORKING, employed conservatives give up the state, let it go......

Moderator & Team Gunsnet SILVER 01/2011 AKTexas's Avatar

The state is doomed,let it sink and drown in the cesspool.
    NRA, TSRA, GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA
    BEING THE MODERATOR OF THE ROADHOUSE IS LIKE BEING THE JANITOR OF A PEEP SHOW.