Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Anyone notice an INCREASE in the number of LIBs on this forum?

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Ah, he's bound and determined to defend his idiocy.

He can't answer any of the logic that is placed in front of him so he resorts to name calling and tries to distract with BS.

He's called "minuteman" because that's the longest time that he can hold a rational thought.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Team GunsNet Silver 12/2012 Warthogg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by weevil View Post
    Free men are responsible for themselves.

No master to look after you and make sure you're fed and clothed, no doctors to give you shots and check your health like the cattle and sheep, and no nanny to fluff your pillow and tell you it's time for bed and tuck you in.

Being free means you take care of yourself and you don't go around begging like a dog cause times are tough and you just can't handle it on your own.

Once you stop taking responsiblity for yourself and start taking hand outs and depending on others to take care of you, then you've started down the road to slavery.

Just another sheep in the herd or scum in a jail cell whatever the case may be.

I feel sooooo bad about this.
    But I agree with wee-vil.

Wart

Quote Originally Posted by Massachusetts Minuteman View Post
    The point is that the speculators gamble with everyone's security. If a plant shuts down because unregulated financial shenanigans caused an economic catastrophe, is that the working stiff's fault? Did he "choose to be poor"?
    I talk to people who choose to be poor every day. In my job I ask them a series of questions like:

Are you currently enrolled in school?

Do you have a job now, or have you had a job in the last 3 months?

Are you self-employed or have you been self-employed in the last 4 months?

Invariably the answer from many of these people is "No" to all three, and when I do the requisite data queries on them I find not only is it "No", it's "Hell NO!" as their last New Hire or Wage Query show they've not worked in years.

There are people who choose to be poor, who have no intention of trying to better themselves, who look only to someone else to bail them out, pay for their lack of motivation, make their lives comfortable on someone else's dime. There are a lot of them. I talk to them 8 hrs a day, 5 days a week.
    If we refuse to rule ourselves with reason, then we shall be ruled by our passions.

He, Who Will Not Reason, Is a Bigot; He, Who Cannot, Is a Fool; and He, Who Dares Not, Is a Slave. -Sir William Drummond

There are some things I will not abide within my sight!

Originally Posted by Massachusetts Minuteman View Post
    The point is that the speculators gamble with everyone's security. If a plant shuts down because unregulated financial shenanigans caused an economic catastrophe, is that the working stiff's fault? Did he "choose to be poor"?
    And how is a fore mentioned "working stiff" better off if the plant that shuts down is financed by a financial institution that is regulated ??

Wart

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 weevil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LAGC View Post
    Unfortunately, a college education is no guarantee of a good-paying job, as many unemployed folks right now will testify.

There are no "guarantees" in life.

This is simply a way to improve your ability to get and keep gainful employment. You have to not only choose a field that you're good at but also one with good employment oppurtunities. A degree in advanced basket-weaving isn't going to be loaded with oppurtunities after you graduate.

Of course there are lots of people who are very successful and have gotten "rich" without a degree or even a high school diploma.

An education won't make up for a lack of drive to succeed and the ambition to make it happen, that's up to you.

I'm not denying that any ONE person can sometimes do things that improve their economic standing, but "hard work" isn't one of them. Lots of people bust their asses in physically-demanding jobs for very little pay -- farm-workers, for example. Back 13 years ago when I was making $17.76/hr. testing printers for a local technology company, it was the easiest job I ever had in my life. All I had to do was just sit there and run automated scripts to test the firmware, put a ream of paper in the tray every hour or so, watch for and document any error messages, wash, rinse, repeat. Spent most of the work-day fucking around browsing the Interwebz, or just going for long strolls through the sprawling corporate campus with one of my female co-workers while particularly long test scripts ran. I worked a lot harder on all my shittier paying jobs than I ever did as a corporate office temp. (Of course, that was back in the late 1990's when the economy was booming...) But I never held any illusions, I knew that by me having a decent-paying job, I was depriving someone else of that same job. Someone who likely had to settle with less. I never looked down on those who only made minimum wage, because most of them worked a lot harder than I was, and SOMEONE has to fill those lower-paying positions.

Who said it would?

You'll never get rich diggin' a ditch.

It's not just "hard work" it's also the brains to make your "hard work" pay-off.

As you've found out cushy jobs come and go the trick is to have skills that are marketable so you can move on to another job.

From what I'm hearing from you, your view of yourself is as that of a peon looking for a master who needs a warm body for a job. You need to look at yourself as a commodity on the market and how can you make yourself valuable to employers. Those poor ol' minimum wage earners you feel for will take your job in a New York second if they get the chance.

You must find a way to make you and your skills valuable to an employer or by starting your own business in order to make money off of what you can do.

As long as you're just another warm body doing some menial job you'll always be vulnerable to losing your job to another warm body that can easily be trained to do your cookie-cutter job.

I'm not so much looking for a hand-out, as much as I just want the rich to pay their fair share. I've never been on welfare or food stamps, no matter how shitty my economic situation, I'd just like to know I can retire someday, and that Social Security and Medicare will be there for me, preferably well before I die. It can be, with only minor changes, but only if our politicians don't completely dismantle it to pay for their other pet projects like run-away military spending or corporate bail-outs.

So who decides what their "fair share" is???

Who defines what exactly "rich" means???

Maybe you can retire someday, maybe not.

Personally I'm not gonna depend on the govt to take care of me in my old age. If I have enough money to retire fine if not I'll work till I die.

You need to stop hoping the govt is gonna solve your problems for you and start worrying about how you're gonna take care of yourself for the rest of your life.

As long as you have this mindset that Uncle Sugar is gonna be there for you, you will fail and be disappointed.

You must realize that no one but YOU is responsible for what becomes of YOU.

Quote Originally Posted by O.S.O.K. View Post
    Ah, he's bound and determined to defend his idiocy.

He can't answer any of the logic that is placed in front of him so he resorts to name calling and tries to distract with BS.

He's called "minuteman" because that's the longest time that he can hold a rational thought.
    Is that "minute" as in 60 seconds, or "minute" as in very small?
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Quote Originally Posted by Oswald Bastable View Post
    I talk to people who choose to be poor every day. In my job I ask them a series of questions like:

Are you currently enrolled in school?

Do you have a job now, or have you had a job in the last 3 months?

Are you self-employed or have you been self-employed in the last 4 months?

Invariably the answer from many of these people is "No" to all three, and when I do the requisite data queries on them I find not only is it "No", it's "Hell NO!" as their last New Hire or Wage Query show they've not worked in years.

There are people who choose to be poor, who have no intention of trying to better themselves, who look only to someone else to bail them out, pay for their lack of motivation, make their lives comfortable on someone else's dime. There are a lot of them. I talk to them 8 hrs a day, 5 days a week.
    And yet if the education you referred to has to be paid for out of their own pocket, there's something of a catch 22 situation here...

Ensuring people aren't left behind to become an unproductive drag factor - either by the school system or when the economy changes shape and spits them out - is one of the biggest challenges we face in contemporary economics.
    In wartime there are no economic arguments at all. I've never heard a general say "I can't bomb Baghdad this month because I've exceeded my budget". In wartime you do whatever is required, and we should adopt the principle that in peacetime you do whatever is required - Tony Benn

Massachusetts Minuteman
    I must have missed that. Do claims like "America's not for pussies" and "if you are poor and jobless it's because you are making a choice to remain thus" represent statements of formal logic in your kooky alternate universe?

You've just bought into the phony frontier mentality that makes it easier for big business to sell you their deregulation scam. The reality of a community is a little too complicated for you, so you buy into whatever oversimplification panders to your insecure machismo.

I deplore government waste and inefficiency just like you. Government is supposed to be working for us, after all, and now it's so firmly in hock to corporate interests that no one can remember a time when the system wasn't broken. But this notion that we can just get rid of government is a crock. And hatin' on the poor and disenfranchised is the lowest form of faggotry that exists.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet SILVER 01/2011 AKTexas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joey View Post
    That thread's been doctored, by an idiot mod. Was it you? Bad Slammykins!
    It was me, it even says last edited by AKTexas. When threads are flushed to the RH they become my personal playground. There are no real rules in the RH save the ones I have posted. Boo Freaking Hoo!
    NRA, TSRA, GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA
    BEING THE MODERATOR OF THE ROADHOUSE IS LIKE BEING THE JANITOR OF A PEEP SHOW.

There once was a place on earth just like LAGC and Massachusetts Minuteman describe. There were no recessions. There were no plant closures. Every working stiff who wanted a job could have one. The rich and educated "paid their fair share" so that the poor could earn a handsome wage for the most menial of jobs.

This paradise on earth was the "Workers and Peasants State" popularly known as East Germany. It was also a place where the only way they could keep their society from collapsing was to institute a draconian police state and wall their people in like prisoners so that the citizens with marketable skills or the slightest ambition to get ahead for themselves wouldn't bolt to the (relatively) free market next door.

Free markets can be cruel sometimes. People lose jobs. Industries become obsolete and wither. But in the long run, there is no greater engine for creating the most overall wealth and the highest standard of living for the most people. As for the "friction" that occurs in open markets... that's what charities used to be for, before the government got into the business of taking care of the poor. And what a great job they've been doing...
    Last edited by Sergis Bauer; 09-17-2011 at 10:31 AM.

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 weevil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sergis Bauer View Post
    There once was a place on earth just like LAGC and Massachusetts Minuteman describe. There were no recessions. There were no plant closures. Every working stiff who wanted a job could have one. The rich and educated "paid their fair share" so that the poor could earn a handsome wage for the most menial of jobs.

This paradise on earth was the "Workers and Peasants State" popularly known as East Germany. It was also a place where the only way they could keep their society from collapsing was to institute a draconian police state and wall their people in like prisoners so that the citizens with marketable skills or the slightest ambition to get ahead for themselves wouldn't bolt to the (relatively) free market next door.

Free markets can be cruel sometimes. People lose jobs. Industries become obsolete and wither. But in the long run, there is no greater engine for creating the most overall wealth and the highest standard of living for the most people. As for the "friction" that occurs in open markets... that's what charities used to be for, before the government got into the business of taking care of the poor. And what a great job they've been doing...

This is one of the worst things that ever happened.

Once the govt decide to promote the general welfare by helping the poor with give-aways like money, food, and housing, and setting up the bureaucracy to do it, it's been a fast slide downhill for everyone.

Now we have a whole class of citizens who are perfectly content to live their lives as wards of the state. They produce nothing but babies and have no desire to ever work. Their women and kids live off of govt handouts and the men thieve and sell black market goods when they're not in prison.

They howl about no jobs but there are millions of wetbacks pouring over the border to do the jobs that supposedly don't exist.

Oh but I forgot they're not gonna do wetback work for lousy pay when they can just kick back and live off their old ladies welfare and sell some dope to get by.

And even the ones who do have a little gumption and get some shitty job like LAGC, spend their lives thinking they were better off back in jail and daydream about their ultimate goal of retiring so they can collect SS and finally be able to live off the govt's dime.

As with everything else things always get totally fucked up when ever the govt sticks it's nose in people's lives, and their war on poverty has been fucking up people's lives for decades.

Quote Originally Posted by LAGC View Post
    Unfortunately, a college education is no guarantee of a good-paying job, as many unemployed folks right now will testify.
    Presently a college education will guarantee you an unemployment rate of 4.3%.

Wart

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

Quote Originally Posted by Warthogg View Post

Wart
    What's the rate on technical skills? People don't want to get their hands dirty anymore, I bet mechanics ect are even lower.

Quote Originally Posted by Warthogg View Post

Wart
    With so many unemployed going back to school to learn a trade or get a degree, those who did not, will be left out in the cold when the job situation improves. Companies will have prime choices when the time comes. It's just a matter for those unemployed to be able to hold on with their lives until then.

Of course, there will always be minimum wage jobs for those who did not seek to improve their chances for employment.
    There's no problem an AK can't solve...........

GUNSNET Member Since 2003
    CCW Permit
    03 FFL

Quote Originally Posted by JAMC View Post
    And yet if the education you referred to has to be paid for out of their own pocket, there's something of a catch 22 situation here...

Ensuring people aren't left behind to become an unproductive drag factor - either by the school system or when the economy changes shape and spits them out - is one of the biggest challenges we face in contemporary economics.
    You missed the point. These are people who wouldn't go back to school even if it was paid for on someone else's dime. And quite frankly there are very liberal school loans available for anyone who actually wants to go back to school, only have to apply for them. I talked to a guy one day, offered to refer him to a job program that's available...guy was in his 30s and told me he couldn't read, so it wouldn't help him. It was also obvious he had no intention of attempting to learn to read.

But hey, my tax dollars are helping to keep such wastes of breath and space alive and kicking, stirring up trouble, sucking from the public tit. Ain't it grand.
    If we refuse to rule ourselves with reason, then we shall be ruled by our passions.

He, Who Will Not Reason, Is a Bigot; He, Who Cannot, Is a Fool; and He, Who Dares Not, Is a Slave. -Sir William Drummond

There are some things I will not abide within my sight!

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

And again, I say do away with all welfare. We have excellent charities in this country. Lets let Warren Buffet channel his money there to help these oh so not deserving people.

It is a crime to extract under the penalty of law money from hard working Americans and give it to waste products that will not work or will not do anything to better themselves.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

And again, I say do away with all welfare. We have excellent charities in this country. Lets let Warren Buffet channel his money there to help these oh so not deserving people.

It is a crime to extract under the penalty of law money from hard working Americans and give it to waste products that will not work or will not do anything to better themselves.
    Warren Busted......... I still want in theory to see Buffet when congress passes a 50% tax on ASSETS....... Bet his tone would change fast..... Okay to tax people starting to make it, but not those who already achieved success.

Quote Originally Posted by Oswald Bastable View Post
    You missed the point. These are people who wouldn't go back to school even if it was paid for on someone else's dime. And quite frankly there are very liberal school loans available for anyone who actually wants to go back to school, only have to apply for them. I talked to a guy one day, offered to refer him to a job program that's available...guy was in his 30s and told me he couldn't read, so it wouldn't help him. It was also obvious he had no intention of attempting to learn to read.

But hey, my tax dollars are helping to keep such wastes of breath and space alive and kicking, stirring up trouble, sucking from the public tit. Ain't it grand.
    Just out of curiosity, what is it that you do? Work for Voc. Rehab or something? Doesn't sound like you enjoy your job very much... sucking from the public teat, as it were.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345