Thread: Saiga - Good or Bad

Saiga - Good or Bad

I am currently in the market to add another AK-type to my collection. I've been pleased with my Mak-90 but it was made in '94. Not having any experience with the Saiga version, or the quality of the conversion by Arsenal, what should I expect from them?

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Regardless of wether you buy a stock Saiga or a pre-converted one, they are of excellent quality and tend to be more accurate than the average AK.

I've had several and currently own a 308 conversion that I did myself. It's a 16" model and is an outstanding shooter. I can get 2 MOA with any decent ammo and it will do even better with handloads - I've printed 1.5", 100 yard groups with handloads that were actually worked up for a FR-8, so a bit mild.

Arsenal does a fine job with their conversions.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Saiga = Russian built. As O.S.O.K. said, good quality for the parent weapon. I have not read any negative reports on the converted ones by Arsenal USA.

My friend has an Arsenal and loves it. Very clean looking. Kicks less and quieter than my maadi. Seems to be more accurate too.

Ditto on the above replies.

And to Gunsnet!!
    There's no problem an AK can't solve...........

GUNSNET Member Since 2003
    CCW Permit
    03 FFL

Good or bad?

Niether, They're GREAT!

I miss my .308 dearly. Solid as a rock and the most user friendly firearm I've ever owned. If I ever get to purchase another semi auto rifle, Siaga will be right at the top of the list.

Welcome to gunsnet! I hope you'll enjoy your new machine!

absolute top tier. Ak's are known for "hell and back" reliability but what the Arsenal ak does is bring in fit and finish, quality build, and accuracy along with the reliability. I'm glad I bought one instead of a CIA.

I have a MAK 90 too, and I also have 3 Saiga's. I have 2 (.410 and 12)that I converted myself and I just bought an arsenal sgl2161. The quality of the russians is as good or better than my MAK 90. As far as conversions go, its up to you. I probably have about as much money in mine as i would have had if I had bought an arsenal to begin with.And I didn't evan touch the gas system. But I did have fun converting them. The 7.62x39 Saiga's, some have dimples on the receivers and some don't. Some people believe the dimples make it look more like an ak. And unless you change the gas system It will still look like a saiga sporter rather than a full blown ak. The IZ332's have the ak style gas systems but don't have the dimples on the receiver. But as far as quality, weather its a sporting or an aresenal you will not find better quality in my opinion.

Hi there. I notice some of the new Saiga rifles are equipped with the AK style front hand guard. I have seen several of these offered at a few of the retailers. Looks a lot like the standard AK hardware. Regards.

Saiga rifle models come with the old soviet standard scope rail, it seems straighter and tighter on the Saiga rifles than the same dimension rail on the AKs. Mostly Saigas will not be compatible with standard high capacity AK.
    aged care queensland
    Last edited by Wiktor; 04-20-2013 at 11:49 AM.