Thread: I Might Get Expelled from the ACLU Tomorrow

Cool I Might Get Expelled from the ACLU Tomorrow

I've been a volunteer for the organization for over a year now, first helping out as a legal intern sifting through all the intake mail the local chapter gets (mostly from prisoners complaining about conditions on the inside, but also from everyday folks on the outs who feel their civil rights have been violated as well) -- only recently have I begun tabling at local events, explaining to passersby what the ACLU is all about and encouraging them to get on our e-mail lists, if not join.

Well, one of the "rules" of tabling is to not wear provocative clothing or anything "advocating" anything, as it might be misconstrued by passersby as being endorsed by the ACLU, even if that is not the case. Now most of you already know the ACLU, while a staunch defender of most of the Bill of Rights, is notoriously lacking when it comes to defending the Second Amendment. The national ACLU still sees the right to keep and bear arms as a "collective right", even though the SCOTUS has destroyed that interpretation completely in their Heller and McDonald decisions. (Even though they were both 5-4 decisions, it was actually 9-0 on the "individual right" interpretation issue, just 5-4 disagreements over how far that individual right extends...) Needless to say, even though I agree with the ACLU on 99% of all its policy stances, their refusal to acknowledge the Second Amendment as an individual right and defend it with just as much vigor as they do the rest of the Bill of Rights is quite disappointing, to say the least.

So here's what I've decided to do: I picked up this cute T-shirt at a curio shop just outside of Glacier National Park on my recent road-trip to Montana, it boasts in big bold letters: "Right to Bear Arms -- Montana" and has a big picture of 3 grizzly bears standing upright on their hind legs, each holding a hunting rifle or shotgun in their paws. It isn't so much an "advocacy" shirt as much as it just pokes a little friendly fun over one of our essential civil rights. It's completely harmless and might provide a good conversation piece, I plan on wearing it to the event tomorrow, and casually explaining to anyone who inquires about it that I support the ENTIRE Bill of Rights. We'll see if they tell me I'm not welcome any more.

Stay tuned.

Massachusetts Minuteman
    You could make more money working for the gun lobby anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by LAGC View Post
    I've been a volunteer for the organization for over a year now, first helping out as a legal intern sifting through all the intake mail the local chapter gets (mostly from prisoners complaining about conditions on the inside, but also from everyday folks on the outs who feel their civil rights have been violated as well) -- only recently have I begun tabling at local events, explaining to passersby what the ACLU is all about and encouraging them to get on our e-mail lists, if not join.

Well, one of the "rules" of tabling is to not wear provocative clothing or anything "advocating" anything, as it might be misconstrued by passersby as being endorsed by the ACLU, even if that is not the case. Now most of you already know the ACLU, while a staunch defender of most of the Bill of Rights, is notoriously lacking when it comes to defending the Second Amendment. The national ACLU still sees the right to keep and bear arms as a "collective right", even though the SCOTUS has destroyed that interpretation completely in their Heller and McDonald decisions. (Even though they were both 5-4 decisions, it was actually 9-0 on the "individual right" interpretation issue, just 5-4 disagreements over how far that individual right extends...) Needless to say, even though I agree with the ACLU on 99% of all its policy stances, their refusal to acknowledge the Second Amendment as an individual right and defend it with just as much vigor as they do the rest of the Bill of Rights is quite disappointing, to say the least.

So here's what I've decided to do: I picked up this cute T-shirt at a curio shop just outside of Glacier National Park on my recent road-trip to Montana, it boasts in big bold letters: "Right to Bear Arms -- Montana" and has a big picture of 3 grizzly bears standing upright on their hind legs, each holding a hunting rifle or shotgun in their paws. It isn't so much an "advocacy" shirt as much as it just pokes a little friendly fun over one of our essential civil rights. It's completely harmless and might provide a good conversation piece, I plan on wearing it to the event tomorrow, and casually explaining to anyone who inquires about it that I support the ENTIRE Bill of Rights. We'll see if they tell me I'm not welcome any more.

Stay tuned.
    Have you ever thought where you've been in life and your inability to follow rules are linked? You know the rules, you understand the rules, yet you can't just seem to help yourself from feeling the rules don't apply to you, somehow I bet this has been a lifelong problem for you. I would not support the ACLU but if you are I think you owe it to them to follow the rules when representing them.

Quote Originally Posted by mriddick View Post
    Have you ever thought where you've been in life and your inability to follow rules are linked? You know the rules, you understand the rules, yet you can't just seem to help yourself from feeling the rules don't apply to you, somehow I bet this has been a lifelong problem for you. I would not support the ACLU but if you are I think you owe it to them to follow the rules when representing them.
    Yeah, I've been a non-conformist most of my life, so no denying that here. I'm just tired of having to check some of my civil rights at the door just because one group or the other doesn't feel they are all as worthy as the others. That's my biggest beef with the NRA -- I like what they do in support of the Second Amendment, but by endorsing politicians who are hostile to the rest of the Bill of Rights, it does me no favors and I resent it. Is it really too much to ask that an organization and politicians stand for the ENTIRETY of the Bill of Rights, not just cherry-pick those that they happen to agree with or fit their particular political view?

Besides, as I said above, I wouldn't be technically violating the rules, as its not really an "advocacy" shirt. It might offend a few people though. We shall see.

I gave you my best "dad" speech

Quote Originally Posted by mriddick View Post
    Spot on!

Yeah, I've been a non-conformist most of my life, so no denying that here. I'm just tired of having to check some of my civil rights at the door just because one group or the other doesn't feel they are all as worthy as the others. That's my biggest beef with the NRA -- I like what they do in support of the Second Amendment, but by endorsing politicians who are hostile to the rest of the Bill of Rights, it does me no favors and I resent it. Is it really too much to ask that an organization and politicians stand for the ENTIRETY of the Bill of Rights, not just cherry-pick those that they happen to agree with or fit their particular political view?

Besides, as I said above, I wouldn't be technically violating the rules, as its not really an "advocacy" shirt. It might offend a few people though. We shall see.
    If you don't like an entity, don't associate with them. There is no "technically" about it, you are looking to make a statement contrary to what their rules are, so you are purposefully and knowingly looking at violating thei rules. If you want to severe your ties with the ACLU, then go for it!

BTW, there is no one or thing out there that will fit every single item you believe in, so live with it!

Team GunsNet Silver 04/2014 El Jefe's Avatar

I think LAGC should move to North Korea. I mean that's the kind of BS he wishes on all of us. By moving there it's already totally screwed, he could just kick back and enjoy.
    Returns June 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson View Post
    I think LAGC should move to North Korea. I mean that's the kind of BS he wishes on all of us. By moving there it's already totally screwed, he could just kick back and enjoy.
    I don't know if I could stomach the constant praise for "Dear Leader" on the radios and televisions that you can't turn off in your own home -- that might get kind of old after awhile.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Go for it!

LAGC: "I Might Get Expelled from the ACLU Tomorrow"

For a moment, I thought I might agree with the ACLU for the first time in my life.

But then I realized that there are some pigs that not even a hog will fuck.

Rage

I don't know if I could stomach the constant praise for "Dear Leader" on the radios and televisions that you can't turn off in your own home -- that might get kind of old after awhile.

You would have plenty of room in your stomach 'cause all you get is about a cup of cooked rice per day!

Team GunsNet Silver 04/2014 El Jefe's Avatar

Whatever, it's what you deserve.
    Returns June 3rd.

BTW, what TV's do you think the average subject in NK has??? They don't even have electricity at night, and are doing well to have a radio in a family of 10-20!

Delivering supplies to the Alamo for round two.
    Quote Originally Posted by American Rage View Post
    LAGC: "I Might Get Expelled from the ACLU Tomorrow"

For a moment, I thought I might agree with the ACLU for the first time in my life.

But then I realized that there are some pigs that not even a hog will fuck.

Rage

History has a severe case of stuttering complicated by chronic hiccups.
    It always repeats itself and it never fails that something will go horribly wrong along the way.

Direct democracy is a gang rape. Eight men vote to rape one woman and the woman has to accept it because the majority decided that it was ok. A constitutional republic on the other hand is eight men and one woman with a full mag. Think about it for a while until it hurts your head.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet SILVER 01/2011 AKTexas's Avatar

Seems to me you are an attention whore looking for his next fix.

No matter what you say or do we all know you are not on our side. When you say pick up you mean five finger discount.
    NRA, TSRA, GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA
    BEING THE MODERATOR OF THE ROADHOUSE IS LIKE BEING THE JANITOR OF A PEEP SHOW.

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

Stay tuned.
    Which precisely proves the ACLU is not about liberty or rights, it's about promoting the Leftist agenda.