Thread: 223 bolt gun loads

223 bolt gun loads

Just last week I bought a Stevens model 200 (cheapened version of the 110) in 223, anyone have one? Any pet loads that I should try? Besides the stock being flimsy (grey plastic) it looks new.

I got a whopping $240 in it complete with Leupold rings and a Tasco Wold class 3x9x40 scope.

Guns Network Contributor 01/2013 rgmcl's Avatar

Have one in 22.250. Really like it.
    What part of "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED" do you not understand?

I don't have a .223 bolt gun but I use the Hornady 75grn match stuff in my Recce build. I hear good things about the Black Hills 77grn stuff, too.

What's your twist?

1 in 9

75 might be a little heavy but you could buy a box and try it out. You could also go in the other direction and try the 55grn and under match stuff Hornady offers.

Is there any "cheap" stuff that's reasonably accurate? If I could get under 2MOA without much work I'd be happy.

"Cheap" and "accurate" usually don't go together. I remember the first time I bought "Match" Prvi Partizan .308 because it was cheaper than Federal. I guess what constitutes match grade in Serbia is a little different that what we're used to. The Hornady V-Max stuff is between 15-18 bucks a box of 20 and it's supposed to be pretty damned good. Never personally tried it though. You can also get Fiocchi varmint loads for about 15 bucks a box that are supposed to be decent but again, never tried it myself.