Thread: Survival books and guides

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 Crash's Avatar

Survival books and guides suggestions?

I'm in the process of getting some literature assiociated with survival and living off the grid for reference but a lot of it seems outdated. Any suggestions on what to get? I currently have these. If this is covered elsewhere then please delete this post.

SAS hand book John Wiseman

How to survive the worls as we know it James Wesley, Rawles

SF Medical Handbook (free)
    http://www.raems.com/PDF/SOF_Medical_Handbook.pdf
    Last edited by Crash; 08-12-2010 at 12:12 AM. Reason: spelling error

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Backwoods Home Magazine. Get the back issues, get the CD's and get the books.

http://www.backwoodshome.com/

Did I mention bite the bullet and get the back issues?

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

Quote Originally Posted by old Grump View Post
    Backwoods Home Magazine. Get the back issues, get the CD's and get the books.

http://www.backwoodshome.com/

Did I mention bite the bullet and get the back issues?
    ahh,yesanother one of my favorite sites,although I haven't been there in awhileI should ge t a subsription to that,but my tight budget doesn't allow,although I do have a decent library on the subjects but I could always use more,,Lehmans non electric is also a good place to browse,pricey,but a good selection of everything,including books

http://www.lehmans.com/

the Backwoodsman is another publication I pick up from time to time

PS,is your handle Old Grump there as well?
    Last edited by Batwing; 08-11-2010 at 07:31 PM.
    For a people who are free, and who mean to remain so, a well-organized and armed militia is their best security.
    Thomas Jefferson

The trick is learning and using and not building a library.

One of the negatives of having 20,000 rounds, an arsenal, food and medical supplies for years is you could be overrun. As it happens to Infantry units; it could happen to you.

Quote Originally Posted by HDR View Post
    The trick is learning and using and not building a library.

One of the negatives of having 20,000 rounds, an arsenal, food and medical supplies for years is you could be overrun. As it happens to Infantry units; it could happen to you.
    true,but I am not fighting off the military,nor am I running through the woods lookin for a safe place to camp,I am stayin put,as long as I can anyway,my main goal is to be prepared to live like the Amish,and really I am not that far off,no off grid or wind power,but a good pitcher pump ,a root cellar and the like,I want to be prepared for worst and have it never happen than,,,well you know
    For a people who are free, and who mean to remain so, a well-organized and armed militia is their best security.
    Thomas Jefferson

Team Gunsnet Silver 02/14 - Moderator recon's Avatar

I'll take my chances right here! All my stuff is here and I have no other place to bug out too or can afford at this time in my life.
    Buy It Cheap!
    Stack It Deep!

Original Member-July-1999!

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 Crash's Avatar

I plan to bunker in if possible. I'm getting to old and beat up to do anything else.
    If it really got to bad I don't know if I really want to be around anyways.

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    PS,is your handle Old Grump there as well?
    My handle is Old Grump wherever I am. I am a long time subscriber to the magazine and I don't know if I ever signed on to their site or not. I'm in a lot of sites that I don't post in just in case I do need something for a reference from them. It's surprised me a couple of times when I was looking and I find a site that almost looks familiar. I click on and lo and behold I am already a member. To tell the truth if all I ever got out of that magazine was Jackie Clay then it would have been worth every penny. Not a thing about zombie fighting but how to lay out a garden or bake a turtle or frame a log cabin door, the little gal will tackle anything.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

Quote Originally Posted by Batwing View Post
    true,but I am not fighting off the military,nor am I running through the woods lookin for a safe place to camp,I am stayin put,as long as I can anyway,my main goal is to be prepared to live like the Amish,and really I am not that far off,no off grid or wind power,but a good pitcher pump ,a root cellar and the like,I want to be prepared for worst and have it never happen than,,,well you know
    Exactly and if you are lucky and they don't blow it in place; foraging the remains of those who did fight the military might be a needed resupply.

To survive folks need to plan on avoiding contact with the military.