Thread: NRA v GOA?

Contributor 05/2012

NRA v GOA?

You guys members of both? Just one? Neither?
    Pro's and Con's would be appreciated.

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 TakeFive's Avatar

The NRA's fold on the DISCLOSE act plus their suck-up to dingy harry have caused me to cease contributing to them. I'm an endowment member, so withholding dues doesn't work. I am listening to GOA, but haven't joined yet.
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, in practice, there is.

Contributor 05/2012

Quote Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
    The NRA's fold on the DISCLOSE act plus their suck-up to dingy harry have caused me to cease contributing to them. I'm an endowment member, so withholding dues doesn't work. I am listening to GOA, but haven't joined yet.
    I guess that was my wake-up call. Have they actually endorsed Harry at this point? Just considering it.....

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

NRA all the way. People forget. don't realize or can't accept that the NRA is a single mission organization and that mission is the 2nd amendment, not the 1st, the 5th, the 10th etc. The 2nd amendment and nothing more. That's the only way they can be effective. If Harry Reid does right by gun owners the NRA pretty much has to give him his dues. If you want the NRA to focus strictly on politics for politics sake it will dimish itself as an effective organization.

The GOA is all talk. Even if you don't agree with everything the NRA does we would, without a doubt have lost most if not all of our 2A rights without the NRA.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

NRA lost me when they tried to derail the Parker case (it became the Heller case when Parker lost standing). Then the rat bastards tried to take it over and THEN claimed credit for it when SAF won it. Now they claim credit for McDonald too. They've really pissed me off. I don't even do the round up program when ordering parts anymore. My money goes to SAF.
    US Constitution: Article 1 Section 8 Paragraph 4

The Congress shall have Power To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Both, one is the 800 pound gorilla and the other is no compromise. Just check my sig.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

Although I belong to both; I dislike GOA's constant infighting with the NRA.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    NRA all the way. People forget. don't realize or can't accept that the NRA is a single mission organization and that mission is the 2nd amendment, not the 1st, the 5th, the 10th etc. The 2nd amendment and nothing more. That's the only way they can be effective. If Harry Reid does right by gun owners the NRA pretty much has to give him his dues. If you want the NRA to focus strictly on politics for politics sake it will dimish itself as an effective organization.

That is correct and all of our Rights are built on the Second being there to defend them.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    The GOA is all talk. Even if you don't agree with everything the NRA does we would, without a doubt have lost most if not all of our 2A rights without the NRA.
    GOA almost spends as much time attacking the NRA as they do the antis. If Patton would have acted the same as GOA, he would have attacked Montgomery also.

There is a old saying "divide and conquer" which covers it.

AFA claiming credit, those shoes fit GOA as well as the NRA.

The problem with GOA is even the Antis seem to ignore them.

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Its all politics, when you play with politicians you get the habit I guess. Even if there were a perfect group somebody wouldn't like it for some reason. I belong to each group for different reasons but the underlying one is the 2nd is important enough to me that I put my money where my mouth is. that being said I am like you, tired if all the back biting bitch slapping done by the GOA and my letters to Wane LaPierre let him know I'm not always happy. In his favor I usually get a response back from him which is more than I can say of my senators and congressman and it isn't usually a form letter like they send back.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

Like them or not, the NRA is a serious political force that politicians listen to... GOA is not at this point...

Thumbs up

NRA all the way...
    Patron Life member NRA

U.S. Army Combat Engineer
    237th Eng. Batt.
    Heilbronn,Germany 1976-79

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 NewbieAKguy's Avatar

Life member to NRA, and I admit I get pissed at them for reasons already given...don't like their attitude of "well if things aren't done with NRA it isn't as good" and I feel they've "compromised" way too often in recent years. To balance it out I donate to SAF and CCRKBA.
    "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time; the hand of force may destroy, but cannot disjoin them. ... Can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God? That they are not to be violated but with His wrath? Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just: that his justice cannot sleep for ever."--Thomas Jefferson

Neither. I was an NRA member, and canceled. The NRA is pro-NRA, if that means their goals also aid in advancing the 2A cause, it's a coincidence, not as direct action anymore.

I also wouldn't join the GOA because they're no better than the NRA, and actually don't accomplish anything.

Find a local grassroots organization and join that, then join the Second Amendment Foundation. They are the only ones who are actively working in courts to advance our cause. For all the talk coming from the NRA, so far they've been content to ride the SAF's coattails and derail their court cases (look at the recent Chicago ruling for a good example).
    Because you suck. And I hate you.

Proud member of GeorgiaCarry.org, Ohio CCW, and the Second Amendment Foundation. Ex-NRA member.

"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression." - Thomas Paine

Brutus was a prophet.