Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The Walking Dead Marathon

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Dr. Logan explains everything starting at 8:00.

"I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

ADMIN | LOGIC POLICE RJ Shooter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sergis Bauer View Post
    We are talking about a show whose central premise is that the dead are reanimated and hungry for living flesh, so a certain amount of suspension of disbelief is necessary.

Nonetheless, I've thought about all this crap too, and I agree that the "science" of the disease, inasmuch as it follows any real logic at all, is that the pathogen can enter through the bloodstream, but must be transmitted through zombie saliva. Everyone is so covered in so much zombie blood in this show, all it would take would be a tiny bit in an eye or nostril to do the trick were it blood-borne. So the bargain is that you need to be bitten by a zombie to be infected.

I do agree with a "WTF?" when Daryll put the arrow in his mouth, you'd think if this were real that people would develop an absolute paranoia about stuff like that.

Regarding the stomach contents, my thought is that the zombies would be trying to eat and digest living things in order to keep the host bodies running and possibly arrest decomposition. So I would assume that the digestive systems are reactivated and the zombies just... shit themselves. Probably best for the lady zombies in skirts, I suppose. This would then lead me to believe that, denied a food source, eventually decomposition would advance to the point where the bodies would lack the structural integrity to keep walking/feeding, and the zombies would eventually go the way of the half-lady from season 1. It would be gratifying if the series went in that direction, but my guess is that the masses of walking dead will have a shelf life as long as the commercial viability of the series (which I hope is a long time).

At any rate, doesn't pay to obsess too much over the details. Season 2 is off to a great start, sit back and enjoy the ride!
    THIS!
    The Guns Network | Often Imitated - Never Duplicated!
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    Dr. Logan explains everything starting at 8:00.

HA! Mr. T knows it's all B.S.

The zombie virus changes the function of animal cells so that they can utilize the strange, growing radiation from the crashed Venus probe as a power source for the central nervous system and the muscles. The virus also dramatically slows decomposition until the final destruction of the brain. So zmbie virus of unknown origin plus unnatural radiation source from Venus equals reanimated corpses.

That's my impression anyway.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Ducati View Post
    BTW, according to the comic books... the next series of events, the group is supposed to hold up in a prison system with a bunch of thugs... I wonder if series will follow this story line?
    Might happen, might not, or might happen but not quite like in the comic. The writers/producers have been VERY vocal about how fans of the comic books might see some common plot elements, but that the overall story arc will be quite different. But that warning itself might be a red herring. Guess we'll just have to tune in each week and see.

I'm beginning to wonder if we'll ever see Daryl's brother again. Apparently Merle is the one who stole the van, but where did he go?

PA, where the cold is only matched by the isolation
    Quote Originally Posted by TomO View Post
    HA! Mr. T knows it's all B.S.
    In this case the "Zombie Virus" isn't actually a virus, it's a sophisticated nanorobotic system where thousands of nanobots create the electrical impulses needed to operate muscle tissue, this is coordinated by nanobots in the brain so the muscles work in unison to induce locomotion of dead tissue.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    So who else is watching? Just for fun I'm looking for stuff I missed the first time around. I knew the deputy used a Colt Python but missed the black guy cutting him loose after tying him to the bed using a Buck 110 Hunter. Stuff like that. Just as good the second time around as it was the first.
    Actually, there seemed to be a lot less gore compared to the first season.

The scene where they cut open a "walker" to check if it ate the little girl... they didn't show anything except after all the slicing was over with. I was disappointed.
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Quote Originally Posted by Krupski View Post
    The scene where they cut open a "walker" to check if it ate the little girl... they didn't show anything except after all the slicing was over with. I was disappointed.
    That's simply a function of cost. Cutting open a walker on camera would be a much more expensive effect, and even with the revenue TWD must produce for AMC, it still has to operate on a TV, not a motion picture, budget.

I have to give the show credit for doing as much as they do with a limited budget. The various seas of abandoned cars, the burned out vehicles, tanks, and barricades in Atlanta suggest the tremendous upheaval that occurred when the disease struck, without having to go through the expense of actually showing any of it happening. Plus the idea of showing the very peaceful aftermath of very violent events is evocative.

One thing I have noticed, the squishy sounds whenever they cut into a walker are sometimes WAY over the top. The foley guys must have a blast doing their stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Sergis Bauer View Post
    I have to give the show credit for doing as much as they do with a limited budget. The various seas of abandoned cars, the burned out vehicles, tanks, and barricades in Atlanta suggest the tremendous upheaval that occurred when the disease struck, without having to go through the expense of actually showing any of it happening.
    They cut costs by filming those scenes in detroit, where all that stuff is already lying around....

I would like to see a bad encounter with another group of better-armed survivors who aren't secretly warm and kind on the inside the Vatos were.

Quote Originally Posted by raxar View Post
    They cut costs by filming those scenes in detroit, where all that stuff is already lying around....
    In real life they actually shot the Atlanta scenes in-- shockingly-- Atlanta. But to your point, if anyone wants a glimpse of what downtowns would look like in a post-apocalyptic America, Detroit is the place to go.

So after Carl swiped the cool tool kit, who ordered one?

http://www.gerbergear.com/Apocalypse

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Wink

I have it on good authority that Daryl boils his arrows after a kill.

Did that sound good, well TFB if it doesn't!

Quote Originally Posted by mitchntx View Post

At the end of the day it's all about the product placement, even on a show like The Walking Dead.

Still, they can say what they want about this collection of blades, but it sure did nothing to save the a$$ of the good ole boy in the pickup who Carl swiped it from.

No, the last gerber tool I used after a disaster (no, really) didn't work out too well

$261 bucks for the entire kit... I'm not into blades that much. But, I already bought the BG's Parang style machete and love it... I got it off amazon.com for something like $30 bucks with free shipping. This thing is A LOT more robust than the $14.99 machete's from WalMart. I needed one for chopping small branches primarily for kindling wood at our camp site.

Check this out... today in the office, had a patient with a dental emergency. She lives in the next county south of me, about 20 minutes drive, turns out she's a "special effects" artist and is currently working on "The Walking Dead" series... she's also been a zombie "extra" herself... She said she's gotten a couple friends on as extra zombies too. This was the first time I met her, I didn't think it'd be appropriate or professional of me to ask her if she could get me on as an extra... I've told her what a huge fan I am of the series... who knows, maybe she'll offer in future I asked her about future events to occur in the TV series, and as I expected, she couldn't say as she's got a "non-disclosure contract" as part of her employment... but she did say that they recently filmed in the Cobb Galleria (local mall).

an awesome series

and available online for free at amctv.com

check it out if you haven't seen it

New episode tonight at 9.

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    New episode tonight at 9.
    I know, but it will probably be a few days before they put it online

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast