Thread: whats with the pop ups here

whats with the pop ups here

anyone else receiving pop ups at the top of screen?not the top of the screen,more or less about 2/3rds the way up.it appears they are more on the gunsnet site vs. my server screen9if that makes sense)....apparently iv won an i-pad and all i had to do was give my cell phone # half a dozen times to claim my prize.................i hope they call

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

No, but I have adds in my menu or menu in the adds... I have all pop ups blocked.

About half of the time, I get that thin yellow stripe at the upper edge where the window meets the gray area. I'm using IE8 on XP Pro.
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Senior Member sniper_n_training's Avatar

I suspect the annoying issue with pop ups and advertising will get worse before it gets better. I love hanging out on this site, and have for many years, but like most members who have since left or simply never returned, I feel it is only a shell of its previous self. Bombarding the members with pop-up ads or banners with annoying advertisements about car insurance or credit score reporting is something I NEVER thought I would see GunsNet resort to.

Speaking of blobmans post about an iPad, did anyone EVER win the one that was "raffled off" here? I've read numerous posts asking about it, but not a single post regarding a winner?

Team GunsNet Silver 12/2012 Warthogg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sniper_n_training View Post
    I suspect the annoying issue with pop ups and advertising will get worse before it gets better.
    Some way the bills must be paid. Generally speaking, advertising is usually the least painful for the members.

Wart

I run Firefox and Windows 7 and never see a pop up.

I've noticed a lot of old time posters are no longer here.

Did something happen that I'm not aware of?

I have also gotten the yellow banner at the top of the screen telling me that a pop-up has been blocked.

BISHOP

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

Thumbs up

No pop-ups here. Norton 360 really works for me!

Steve
    After today, it's all historical.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

No pop-ups here either.

Quote Originally Posted by American Rage View Post
    I've noticed a lot of old time posters are no longer here.

Did something happen that I'm not aware of?
    You mean aside from the site being down for several months last year, then reappearing without any of the old content, but as a newly constructed, bare of post, site?
    If we refuse to rule ourselves with reason, then we shall be ruled by our passions.

He, Who Will Not Reason, Is a Bigot; He, Who Cannot, Is a Fool; and He, Who Dares Not, Is a Slave. -Sir William Drummond

There are some things I will not abide within my sight!

Quote Originally Posted by sniper_n_training View Post
    I suspect the annoying issue with pop ups and advertising will get worse before it gets better. I love hanging out on this site, and have for many years, but like most members who have since left or simply never returned, I feel it is only a shell of its previous self. Bombarding the members with pop-up ads or banners with annoying advertisements about car insurance or credit score reporting is something I NEVER thought I would see GunsNet resort to.

Speaking of blobmans post about an iPad, did anyone EVER win the one that was "raffled off" here? I've read numerous posts asking about it, but not a single post regarding a winner?

I am very glad this was brought up and here is my .02

Do we have advertising strip at the top below the navigational bar? YES WE DO

Why cause we have asked every member to help contribute only to be IGNORED from majority of membership over the last 6+ years. We have always had the support of 100 members on the current server and over 600 members before we went down. This had helped in the past offset the advertiser’s fees but currently the members who have contributed graciously, there donations are now not getting it done month after month. We cannot wait for those who have ignored our requests over the months. So we had to find some sort advertising that is going to help pay the MONTHLY BILLS aka OVERHEAD.

This website has bills that have to be paid, each and every month. Is that too hard to understand? If you have a problem because of the advertisement, sorry but until the majority of our membership wakes up one day and realizes we need help and starts contributing or we take on more major gun industry advertisers. This advertising will remain and is what allows the non contributing members to view this website and the community.

Our overhead is not like it used to be, but we still have bills and our advertising income is not what it used to be. Thus the reason for us bringing in other forms of compensation.

To question this is to show your ignorance and lack of dollars and sense when it comes to running an online community. Some days I think we have a ton of LIBERAL gun owning members because everyone is used to surfing and reading this community for YEARS without contributing or donating a dime for years. No owner wants to say it but I will, many here and everywhere have FREELOADED every community including ours for YEARS. sniper_n_training you remind me of the current wallstreet protestors, what you are bitching about shows your ignorance.

But back to the members who never donate or contribute, they go around BUYING and SPENDING thousands of dollars on weapons and weapons accessories. Posting there trophy rooms only to ignore the calling from the same online communities that allow them to post their collections. Same people also tout that they are 2nd Amendment and donate to the NRA and GOA. But donate nothing financially to the online discussion communities they live on every day. That is pathetic as it gets. Willing to be so thrifty and nickel and dime to part together builds on AK’s, FAL’s, AR’s only to IGNOR our call outs for help. Sorry but I am not BILL GATES or some millionaire.

We give everyone the platform that allows you to speak your mind, but in turn many here have used this same platform to BITCH about us asking for contributions or bitch about our ADVERTISING. What is wrong with your thinking?

I know times right now are hard on our country and I am NOT asking those members who are out of work and/or barely making ends meet. I am not asking those hardcore members who contribute all the time. I am asking those who can contribute financially but never do or did years ago, we need your help.

I am sorry if I may have offended anyone but tough shit, if the baby is ugly, the baby is ugly. The elephant in the room is being pointed out right now.

It is what it is…

If you want to help us then please by all means click on the MEMBERSHIP UPGRADE CENTER button in the middle at the top.
    The Guns Network | Often Imitated - Never Duplicated!
    The most recently revised government version of anything supersedes all evidence to the contrary past, present or future. That's a working definition of authoritarianism.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by Guns Network Staff View Post
    If you want to help us then please by all means click on the MEMBERSHIP UPGRADE CENTER button in the middle at the top.
    I did numerous times before the board went down. Guess that didn't count for shit though. I guess I'll continue to bask in my supposed ignorance and when the board is back up and running 100% like it used to be, I'll go and donate at the Platinum level. EDIT: I forgot to mention, thanks for taking my post as a personal attack??? And if your "not calling on members who are barely making ends meet" why are you jumping my case dear leader? Do you think I have Bill Gates' income? I wish I made a tenth of what that guy does. Am I to also believe we can't voice our opinions on something that annoys us anymore? Not trying to start an argument, but damn Dave, this is what I was talking about in my post. GN is NOT what it used to be and it's truly sad, and you publicly going off on me and attempting to attack my character when you have never met or personally talked to me isn't going to fix the financial problems the site is having.
    Last edited by sniper_n_training; 11-05-2011 at 10:34 PM.

I am not going off on you originally, I only directed one sentence to you specifically. But there are many who have your same mindset and so I have had enough of the bullshit being pointed unfairly at our community. I call it as I see it.

I am mostly going off on those who have NEVER contributed. I know you have contributed in the past, I just think you are ignorant of the fact I have to find some other sources to pay the bills around here is all. I am tired of paying out on my pocket guy. I am tired of those pointing fingers who have no solutions, just hot air. I have invested several thousands of dollars out of my pocket only for those to piss in my direction. No sir you would be preaching to the wrong guy. Until you have laid out 10K+, I will call out ignorant members all day long of what is happening behind the scenes and why advertisements are the way they are. You and anyone else decides to come here and shit or piss on this community I will TURN ON THE FAN SIR and give it back to you in spades.

For the record, sniper_n_training, I am not intentionally bashing you, I am just pointing out the obvious.
    The most recently revised government version of anything supersedes all evidence to the contrary past, present or future. That's a working definition of authoritarianism.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Ummm, feel like pointing out where I have pissed on this site or you personally? I can't recall ever bashing GunsNet now or in the past. I merely stated my opinion that the ads are annoying, but I understand that they are required to help maintain the site (not that I have to tell you that, because I'm just ignorant and shitting on the site as you like to believe).

Bravo sir, bravo!

SIMMERDOWNOW.......i was just asking a ?,and i undersand the need for ads.,being a noncontributor myself.after checking this thread yesterday ,my computer locked up and my wifre had to fix it..that saidi suggest staying away from those ads,still waiting for them to call me about my ipad.EDIT and now theres one on the screen with a black area that just says "explore now" WTF

sorry but the only ad right now is ALLSTATE...

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

It doesn't matter whether is is the NRA, Red Cross, or any other group, asking somebody who hasn't had a job since 2006 for money is as fruitless as it comes.
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

I don't see any adds, good for me I suppose. ;-]