Thread: Even after all these years

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Post Even after all these years

this time of year brings back a lot of great memories. Haven't been hunting for 30+ years but this time of year brings back a lot of memories growing up back in Nebraska hunting pheasant and quail. The crisp morning, walking down a fence row behind Mike our old Brittany Spaniel and Huntz our German Shorthair just knowing that something would get flushed any moment. That old Monkey Wards SxS 16ga ready and able in my hands. If I close my eyes I can still hear the sound it made when I broke it open and snapped it closed. Wish I still had it.

We could hunt back then on Saturday and Sunday, maybe you still can and I can't think of a better way to spend a weekend in Oct/Nov then bird hunting. Well, eating those quail was pretty darn nice too.

Always thought I'd make it back there some year but so far that hasn't happened and there ain't shit for quail and pheasant around this part of VA. Maybe I never will but the memories are still mighty nice.

Anyone else feeling nostalgic this time of year?
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Team GunsNet Silver 04/2014 El Jefe's Avatar

Sounds awesome. I grew up in southern Nebraska in the Alma area. Hunting pheasant was my Dad's favorite type of hunting. We don't have them here which is a damned shame.

Walking the ends of milo fields with pappy was a lot of fun as a kid.
    Returns June 3rd.

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Thumbs up

Alma? Hell we were neighbors. I grew up over in Hitchcock county less than 100 miles west of you. We played football against Arapahoe, Bartley, Inidanola, Cambridge, bet you did too.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Team GunsNet Silver 04/2014 El Jefe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    Alma? Hell we were neighbors. I grew up over in Hitchcock county less than 100 miles west of you. We played football against Arapahoe, Bartley, Inidanola, Cambridge, bet you did too.
    Yep, the Cardinals played some of those schools. We moved here to Missouri when I was in junior high. Nebraska is a pretty cool state, if you're an outdoors type. As a kid we spent a lot of time on the Republican Valley lake fishing and such.

I too get an itch every once in awhile to go back to Nebraska and hunt. Not sure what out of state licenses would run tho.
    Returns June 3rd.